Thoughts on GigRig Quartermaster QMX switcher?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by petty1818, Dec 29, 2018.

1. petty1818

petty1818 Member

I am just looking for thoughts on these loop switchers. I am considering the QMX8 for my board but they are a bit pricey. I really like the size and functionality but have read a few reports online of the QMX adding noise to rigs.

2. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

you get what you pay for, these are great.

MichaelDCarter, Kriig and MrMoose like this.
  3. oansun

oansun Supporting Member

I think it’s more likely they cheaped out on cables. Do you have a link to the discussion?

4. lefromagegrand

lefromagegrand Member

GigRig stuff is pro-level gear, used by many many touring and recording artists the world over. I'd find it very hard to believe any of their products add noise, given minimising this is one of the specific areas their designs successfully target.

5. CarlGuitarist

CarlGuitarist Member

The only downside would be the high current draw, 400mA, due to the special foot switches used. Otherwise they seem like great switchers.

6. JoePerkinsMusic

JoePerkinsMusic Member

I've just moved to using both a QMX 6 and QMX 8 to run a Wet/Dry/Wet rig. They're absolutely fabulous switchers - no noise, and the opto-kick footswitches are a dream to use.

Two things to note though: I bought one of them 2nd hand and one of the loops has an issue (Loop 1 - plug into the main strip input & it sends, plug into the loop return & the rest of the strip works great...seems there's a problem with the bypass-relay for that loop) but the guys at The GigRig are fixing it for me first thing in the new year...great customer service.

The other thing - as @CarlGuitarist said above - is that they do require a substantial current draw. The QMX8/10 need 400/500mA. Using their power system this isn't an issue, but if you're using power bricks etc then you might struggle. Oh, and yes...they're pricey!

But - as with most things, you get what you pay for. And so far, I have zero regrets about upgrading to the QMX's. The more GigRig gear I use, the more I realise those guys really know what they're doing...!

lefromagegrand likes this.
  7. Pmg

Pmg Member

No brainer for me

8. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

I thought about getting one, but given that I already have a GigRig Pro-14 that I shelled out a thousand pounds for ($3,000 bucks!) a few years ago (actually, 8), it's more efficient for me to just make do with what I have.

These days I'm excited to see $30. I just don't have that cash anymore.

9. nkt275

nkt275 Member

I have the QMX6, and it's the best investment I've done in years. Never going back to not having a loop switcher.

10. nkt275

nkt275 Member

[​IMG]

Here's how I've set up mine. There's a Voodoo Labs Mondo power supply underneath the board.

Flatscan and coopdeville78 like this.
  11. petty1818

petty1818 Member

Thanks all! Here’s one video I stumbled across that got me a bit worried. Must be just an isolated issue.

12. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

I love that the Quartermains have the ability to toggle other loops Off and On when you step on another one, such that : if you have 2+ different OD or Fuzz or Distortion pedals (or Delays or anything else you have multiples of), you only have to step on the one you want On now, and it'll turn Off the other one(s) automatically.

Saves a step of having to turn off the prior one when it's setup this way.

13. Coheed

Coheed Member

Ya the QMX8 has been on my radar for the longest time!
    Every time I visit the UK...I’m hugely tempted.

14. Jeff_G

Jeff_G Member

I got a QMX8 earlier this year and love it. Top quality, no issues whatsoever.

JackS2 and petty1818 like this.
  15. MichaelDCarter

MichaelDCarter Member

I don't own one. I've tried to justify a G2, but my board is either too simple or complicated by Fuzz pedals. I have used their quartermaster switchers and they are top quality and noiseless. I could see using those if you want to use a lot of pedals to get vastly different tones at the touch of a switch.

coopdeville78 likes this.
  16. jwny72

jwny72 Member

I have the G2, and it's killer. GigRig is quality.

coopdeville78 likes this.
  17. coopdeville78

coopdeville78 Member

I have the G2 .. it’s actually completely amazing and really easy to work out. I find I’m not getting into making presets and use it all in stompbox mode so the QMX might possibly be an easier option.

18. 2Plus2isChicken

2Plus2isChicken Member

G2 is awesome. I got one recently and the basic functions of it such as making patches are as simple as it gets. Just hit one of the 14 footswitches and press the loop buttons for which effects you want on that patch. No big deal. I haven't bothered with MIDI yet and probably won't. Too complicated.

19. PFDarkside

PFDarkside Member

Every time you post your board I think “man that’s cool, I need to build something similar”. When will I actually do it?

nkt275 likes this.
  20. warren3333

warren3333 Member

Ive recently built a ‘small’ board and purchased a QMX4.

Superb in every way. Very well built and the new switches are divine to use !

Here’s a close up in build stage...

[​IMG]