• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Thoughts on headstock repair

gunslinger

I just don't think it's going to stay together.

I wouldn't pay anymore than what the pickups, bridge, stop bar and tuners are worth on eBay.

ixnay

I would need AT LEAST 50% off whatever the going used rate is for one of those w/out a headstock repair.

Chippertheripper

Silver Supporting Member
I see it’s gone from MMM’s page, so good luck with it. I hope it was a good deal, and that crack is little more than a conversation starter.

Franktone

Gold Supporting Member
Looks like a good repair to me since it has a lot of surface area for a strong bond.
It likely will not break in the exact same spot again.
The only thing that bothers me is that the truss rod cover has a crack in it that likely happened when the screw was put back in and the screw to screw distance is now greater than it once was and hence the crack in the plastic happened. Was wondering if it could have been lined up a little better than that.
But maybe that was the best that could be done and it may be okay. Buy it cheap and don't worry about it.

Last edited:

PastaPizzaMammamia

headstock repair guitar that I am interested in. The guitar is significantly reduced from a reputable dealer that has done the repair. the guitar is out of state and I can’t play it before purchase.
From your own message it's evident that you have never touched this instrument (which was broken) and the only reason why you are interested in this guitar is the significantly reduced price.
This is the most wrong reason in the world that can be behind an instrument purchase.

I don't understand how a repair like this can be done without adding paint work, considering that the result it's terrible.
Also, I'm sure that at the same price you will find other guitars certainly in better condition.
Moral: if you can't afford a Gibson, don't look for one in such bad condition, move on to something else.

pd1030

Gold Supporting Member
From your own message it's evident that you have never touched this instrument (which was broken) and the only reason why you are interested in this guitar is the significantly reduced price.
This is the most wrong reason in the world that can be behind an instrument purchase.

I don't understand how a repair like this can be done without adding paint work, considering that the result it's terrible.
Also, I'm sure that at the same price you will find other guitars certainly in better condition.
Moral: if you can't afford a Gibson, don't look for one in such bad condition, move on to something else.
My interest in the guitar is due to the lack of availability of the Gibson 70s white V. As far as your moral of the story goes I don’t even know what possessed you to post that. This has nothing to do with what I can afford. I posted looking for the expertise that is all over TGP in reference to the durability of headstock repairs. Thanks though…

Ampedusa

My number #1 favorite guitar is a Gibson with a headstock repair. I got it really cheap though. Really Cheap. If the price is right, I might go for it.

chrisjnyc

Silver Supporting Member
Don't worry - I'm sure the three pickguard screws and truss rod cover holding that headstock together are more than enough and doing just fine.
Repair looks good to me. My LP had a full break, and has been fine for the last 7 years. This V looks worse for wear because of the white paint job. Most Gibsons have a black headstocks so it hides some of the crack lines. You will take a bath on the resale, but if you are going to play it, I would jump on it.

Rocco Crocco

Silver Supporting Member

I wouldn't pay anymore than what the pickups, bridge, stop bar and tuners are worth on eBay.
That is what headstock repairs look like before they are refinished. Do you think they just magically look nice after the glue sets? Everything is lined up on that repair and there is nothing in those pictures that indicates a bad repair.

Imerkat

Silver Supporting Member
I bought a Gibson in that condition dirt cheap. Lasted a month or so and then it became a money pit to fix. Sold it to break even but if you have the dough for a pro repair it will play and look good as new

JasonE

I wouldn't buy a guitar that has a headstock repair no matter how good of a job was done on it. We all say that we will never sell this guitar but someone will some day whether it is you or the family member you leave it to. When the guitar is put up for sale it will be much harder to sell and everyone will expect it to be dirt cheap. I would rather just not deal with that. The only way I would have a guitar with a headstock repair is if I owned it when the break happened and I was the one that had it repaired. At that point I would expect the value of the guitar to be nothing.

CanuckChris

I see nothing wrong with the repair, in fact it's pretty clean. The second photo clearly shows some glue residue, but overall it's a clean break which looks like it went back together fairly well. It's only ugly because the paint hasn't been refinished.

Having said that, any headstock break, no matter how clean, significantly reduces the value. For the OP, as you can see from the comments, there will be people who won't touch a headstock break with a 10 foot pole. Even if it isn't rational based on the stability of the repair, it does reduce the resale value. Make sure the discount is quite significant, especially if you're thinking of ever reselling the guitar.

IanRubbish

Gold Supporting Member
Ive purchased a headstock repaired Gibson, and have been happy with it, but the repair was far for seamless than that one. I would be in on that one for 500.

pd1030

Gold Supporting Member
not To get into a debate flaming the seller which is a highly respected dealer, the price is a bit more than I would pay. The bottom line is $1400. I would risk it at $1000. It doesn’t help that Flying Vs and explorers are through the roof right now.

I repaired a Les Paul headstock when I was 14 with two clamps and titebond and it has held up perfectly fine for over a decade. Why do you think this won't hold?

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
All the repaired neck joint/headstock break guitars I have owned have held up fine for 40 years despite for many of those years being strung with sets in the medium range similar to Gibson Sonomatic 340L strings.

As far as the guitar in the OP...needs some paint work.

Decent amount of surface area for glue. If glued and clamped properly I see no reason that it would fail. Easy paint touch up too.
Just seeing how careless they were about the glue squeeze out has me curious about how careless they could've been with the rest of the process. That should've been wiped away immediately when it happened and not left there to dry. I've done headstock and other repairs and there was no squeeze out anywhere once the clamps were removed.

I'd avoid this guitar.

Top Bottom