• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Thoughts on headstock repair

gunslinger

That is what headstock repairs look like before they are refinished. Do you think they just magically look nice after the glue sets? Everything is lined up on that repair and there is nothing in those pictures that indicates a bad repair.
It looks like it's already creeping. I used to make furniture. And I did a lot of gluing. I know how to glue. And I know how to clamp. That repair doesn't look that good.

Steadfastly

For the naysayers, glued wood is stronger than the original wood. There is no chance that it cannot be repaired. It can actually be repaired by a skilled person so 99% would never know it.

lowyaw

Hard to tell. In a scenario like this, with a clean break, I'd prefer a guitar in unrepaired state, so I could delegate the job to someone I know and trust. Done right, it should be as good as new. A friend of mine routinely buys Les Pauls with broken heads, and claims he's never had a problem.

Strummerfan

If you are saving significant money on it, it's probably safe. The ugly repair can be touched up to be less obvious, and the pieces seem well locked together. Just don't pay more than 50, 60% of what a similar guitar would go for.

John Dell

Silver Supporting Member
Looking for input on a headstock repair guitar that I am interested in. The guitar is significantly reduced from a reputable dealer that has done the repair but as you will see no paint work. Looking for thoughts and experiences with headstock repairs. The guitar is out of state and I can’t play it before purchase. Thanks in advance!
View attachment 440474 View attachment 440474
After experiencing this, the thing that I've noticed about headstock repairs is that once you stop thinking about it, it ceases to be a problem. Just like any other "problem". That's a beautiful guitar. If it checked the boxes for me, I'd have no problem buying that.

I'd play it, beat it up, wear it in and add even more character to the repair.

eupbin

Platinum Supporting Member
If you're not going to keep it, stay away. That's a loong story to tell if you resell.

Top Bottom