Thoughts on Line 6 Echo Park?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mjt335, May 19, 2011.

1. mjt335

mjt335 Member

Hey folks,
    I've been researching the Echo Park for a little while now but thought I would drop my own post to get more opinions of this pedal. It seems like it gets pretty nice sounds but how do you guys feel about the build quality? Has anyone had any reliability issues with this pedal?

What about the tap tempo? It's my understanding that the tap works by just pressing down lightly without engaging the pedal. Is that right? Does it work well?

I'm looking for an affordable option that does the analog/tape thing well. I currently use the Boss RE20 which is great, but I'd like to try something with a smaller footprint and without the input gain knob. The primary application would be for dub reggae... ie: long, space, modulated delays.

Thoughts?

2. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

I have an older one, from the original run. I always thought it had tone suck issues...which I now understand is known around these parts as "volume drop," and which L6 apparently fixed. The delays are nice and it is a versatile and quite easy to use. However, I generally don't use it, because of the aforementioned issue. The volume drop is much more readily apparent when used in front of an amp, after a chain of pedals, than in a loop.

Mike

3. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

TYPICAL sucky line6 power requirements (doesnt use the same tip as boss, mxr, or 99% of the other pedals out there)

footswitch/tap tempo is a GIANT pain in the ass...

noisy

4. 2061X

2061X Member

I've replaced my Echo Park for a RE-20 Space Echo some time ago. I have the v1.0 of the EP, which has an annoying volume boost in the "on" position. It is also quite noisy, but echo sounds pretty OK. Because of the boost and noise I took it of my pedalboard. I really like the RE-20 and won't go back.
    People here at TGP rave about the Flashback from TC, which has a small footprint and is decently priced as well. Maybe that's something to look into. It certainly has attracted my attention ...

5. southpaw pete

southpaw pete Member

My wife has one, and while it can get a wide variety of good delay sounds, she doesn't like the feel of the tap/engage footswitch either. It is a cool concept - but it just feels akward to turn it on - you do nice little taps to set the tempo, and then a big "chunk" to turn it on or off, if ya know what I mean.
    It is a newer model, so it doesn't have the noise issues of the early tonecore pedals.

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've got one, it does a lot of stuff in a very small footprint (smallest tap tempo pedal ever?) but that switch is clunky. Only way to be sure is to try it out yourself... I do think they sound at least as good at the M9/M13 with the addition of a better ducking delay.

7. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

my boss that i tech for, Brian Stoltz, used SEVERAL of the Tonecore pedals in his old rig that got destroyed in Katrina -- Echo Park, Otto Filter, etc.

the TONECORE series had some functions and sounds that are NOT in the "m-class" effects.

i would love to find a full set of these modules for cheap -- there's some great sounds in ALL those modules :agree

8. mjt335

mjt335 Member

Right on. That's the kind of stuff that I kind of expected to hear.

2061X,
    I really like the RE20 as well. It sounds fantastic but is just such a huge footprint for what I'm using it for. I also play a 335 about 90% of the time and have to turn the input volume down quite a bit to avoid digital clipping noises when I use boost or OD in front of the Space Echo. Kind of annoying. Also, have been frustrated with the the "tape hum" that shows up from time to time.

I've been wanting to try a Flashback. A lot of people seem to like them and they move through the emporium quite a bit. Have you heard of anyone using them for long tape delays? I wonder how it sounds in the dub context.

9. mattekelly

mattekelly Member

I've had two and thought they were terrific delays. Think of it as a pint sized DL4. There's a variety of tones available.

As far as the tap tempo/on-off switch, I got used to it pretty quickly and though its not my favorite style of tap, its worth putting up with IMO.

My only real gripe is that in certain cases I couldn't get the repeat level high-enough before it started to lower the volume of your dry signal. Around about 2 o'clock or so on the Mix knob, it begins to drop the volume of your dry signal while still bringing up the repeat level.

I've never read of anyone else complaining about this and I even posed the question on a couple threads with no response so maybe it was just me:dunno

10. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

I long ago lost my L6 adaptor for mine. It runs fine off of my OneSpot though. Or, am I not powering it correctly?? Maybe it would sound better if I found that L6 adaptor?

Oh, and I never had a problem with the tap tempo function. I find it quite easy to use. I think the Verbzilla was a better pedal though. Too bad mine crapped out.

Mike

11. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Supporting Member

Save a few more bucks and get the TC Flashback or a Nova repeater, I saw a repeater go for $100 a few days ago in the emporium. Flashback doesn't have Tap Tempo but something similar and IMO easier to use.

12. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

I enjoy the echo park a lot...a very cool pedal if you ask me. I just run it off its own 1spot, and it works great without any noise issues. The more recent models have fixed the volume bump issue as far as I understand it. At any rate...I think there are a lot of cool sounds in that little box. Oh, and I got used to the tap feature very quickly, so that never bothered me at all.

13. mjt335

mjt335 Member

I definitely want to try out the Flashback. Unfortunately nobody around me stocks them. I've thought about the Nova Delay or Nova Repeater too. I haven't heard any reviews of anyone using these for the reggae/dub stuff that I'm interested in, but I run multiple delays for other applications that I know any of the TC stuff would be great for.

14. dulcetpine

dulcetpine Member

Had one. Sounded great in front of the amp, but it is a time based effect and belongs in the loop and it just did not like my amp's loop (parallel). So, its gone.

15. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

Bought a flashback twice and wasn't that impressed with it. I prefer the Echo Park. You can change the modulation rate on it while you can't on the flashback. If they would have put a modulation knob or at least provided some software to do the same they would sell twice as many units IMO

16. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

I love the Echo Park. The tap tempo is very easy to use, it takes a standard 9v wall wart power supply (good results with my One-Spot too), and it has a ton of delay options including reverse delay. My favorite feature is the Tape setting with the modulation around noon. It doesn't have that cheesy chorus effect on the delay. It also does a great slapback. Here is a little video that features the Echo Park on the tape setting. You can hear how the repeats are dark and mellow.

17. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

i have been less than impressed with the TC Nova series pedals i have owned -- i expected them to be GOOD, but they were average, IMHO....

the Line 6 TOnecore pedals will REALLY surprise you if you give them a chance.

actually....forget about that. the tonecore pedals SUCK. don';t buy them. they are HORRIBLE :mob

i don't wanna see the prices go up on them ;)

18. plunderpot

plunderpot Supporting Member

I love it and think it's great - especially if you like a bit of warble in your delay sounds... I love that you can use all of the different delay types while still being able to set the "flavor" (of which my favorite was analog). For what I used it for I liked it better than nearly every other delay I've tried.

Give one a shot - you mind it find it to be a great fit for you!
    :aok

19. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

20. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I love the Echopark, especially the newer version (fixed volume *boost* issue and lightened it's chassis). For the functions, tone and size I've not found a delay I like better.

Regarding the power supply, actually it *does* take a normal Boss size barrel adapter. And with a *little* practice, the dual function bypass/tap tempo switch works just fine. I think the design is ingenius. Lastly, I've got no noise issues. Although, due to the way the ground works in it, it can't be daisy chained without an odd hum. But MOST people use a Pedal Power or something similar with isolated power.