Thoughts on McNaught

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DiazDude, Sep 10, 2006.

1. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

Opinions on McNaught guitars please from owners and those of you that have tried them. I'm getting a quote on a vintage double cut now.

2. clmazza

clmazza Supporting Member

Dave makes outstanding guitars! IMHO... you can't buy a better axe.

Cheers!

3. Zilmo

Zilmo Member

One of the finest custom guitars on the market, bar none. You will NOT be sad that you made that choice.

4. kealiikai

kealiikai Member

Excellence in quality and superb in tone:dude

5. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

Got the quote and it fell into the range I thought it would. I'll order it within the next couple of weeks.
    Another question in relation to the wood to be used for the body & neck should I use mahogany for both or a combo, ex. mahogany body & maple neck. The body will have a Maple top as usual. Sustain is a prority. I'm going with an ebony fingerboard & It'll have WCR Fillmores w/RS Electronics as well.
    Any other things I should consider??

6. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

I love mine!

7. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

Avoid the usual Rio Grande 'buckers (WCR = great choice) and enjoy one of the best custom-built guitars on the planet.

8. klatuu

klatuu Member

Just a note on fretboards, as I've had to consider tonewoods on custom builds too. From my experience, ebony is a very dense wood and is much brighter, more brittle sounding and has a quicker response than Indian rosewood. Brazilian rosewood and cocobolo are in between the two. The combination of the mahogany body and mahogany neck would produce rich lows and darker mids so the ebony works well to balance the highs and tighten the response. It seems like the ebony produces square shouldered notes and the less dense boards have rounder shoulders. For me ebony works best for fingerstlye playing or playing with a light touch. Just my 2 cents and YMMV.

9. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Totally agree!! My DTM Vintage DC semi-hollow was spec'd with the Rios, and it was a distinctively horrible sound. Sent it back to DTM to have WCR DB/CRs put in......there cannot be a better sounding guitar ANYWHERE! And McNaught's build quality and attention to detail is art/craftmanship second to none. Anyone mention the fantastic necks? Nice full soft V-ish, with a touch of R9 mixed in. The guitar amazes me every time I pick it up. Not inexpensive, but a great value compared to others on this rarified level. AC

10. JMC

JMC Member

How about a rosewood neck and limba instead of mahogany?

[​IMG]

11. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

I've been gigging full time (4-6 nights a week) with a McNaught Phoenix for the past 4 years and it is probably my all time favorite guitar. The neck feels incredible and the body balances just right. I can't remember feeling so at home with any other guitar I've owned in 42 years of playing high end guitars.

12. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

It is strange .. they build their reputation building guitars using Rios. I wonder how come now they sound 'bad' with Rios in em.

13. MrMo

MrMo Member

I would consider a black limba body w/ maple top. In combination w/ the rosewood neck on my Singlecut, made me not want to play my mahogany/ maple top Doublecut. I've been lucky enough to own five of these guitars. They're great instruments, but I have some beefs as well.
    1). The frets don't extend far enough the the edge of the fretboard so that you can pull off notes on the high E string.
    2). The toggle switch on the Singlecut model works on an angle instead of straight up & down. The cavity would require routng to remedy this, as the switch is too large to turn.
    3). The goat hoof headstock is ugly--that's subjective, and I understand you can now get the pleasing "signature" headstock on any guitar.
    4). I don't know anyone who is happy with those ugly, crappy cases. Come on! For that much cash, and one of the finest guitars one can buy, give us a nice case for crying out loud!

14. kealiikai

kealiikai Member

1) I'll have to try that, never did notice (totally forgot about that trick)
    2) I did notice that and tried to fix to no avail
    3) It's ok with me but I can see some not liking it
    4) The case is quite fine with me, it does the job and I wouldn't want to pay anymore cash for a nicer one. I just want one that works.

15. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

I have no problems pulling off notes on any strings.
    Don't have the headstock with the top indentation.
    Have a 5 way blade switch instead of a toggle.
    The case is pretty much the same as my PRS guitars have (not luxurious like the Artist case I had but it does the job.
    I like the tone of the Rio Grandes but I would be interested to hear what Wolfetone or WCRs would sound like in this axe.

16. clmazza

clmazza Supporting Member

I have a VSC with a white Limba body, quilt maple top and a Brazilian board with white Limba neck.... outstanding combination!

I really like the rios in mine... they also split very well.

I agree with Mojo... the case blows. That's about my only gripe.

17. Meat Head

Meat Head Member

I had a really bad experience with DTM. Ordered a 10 top, told him I wanted a cherry burst with very little red around the edges and got the opposite. I didn't keep it very long and wasn't hugely impressed with the sounds. Eventually ended up with a Baker (pre-roman) B1, which IMO blew the McNaught away and cost $1500 less...

18. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Member

Interesting I have had the exact opposite experience. I have preferred the McNaughts I have played to the Bakers. However, I would not say one "blew" the other away. Very comparable in my view.

19. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

+1. Played some Bakers at the Guitar Hangar; nice guitars but didn't bond with any of them. With McNaught it was love at first play.

20. Meat Head

Meat Head Member

I think my total disappointment with the way the thing looked affected my perception of the tone. After paying almost $5K and waiting for months with all the anticipation of how perfect it was going to be,.. I was crushed to see he did the opposite of what I asked him to do personally on the phone... Plus it looked like crap, and I had other players concur with that assessment... I guess I was so disappointed with the way he finished it, it didn't matter what it sounded like.

It's not like a girl with a great bod but an ugly face... It gets a little hard to play if you put a bag over its head...:(

I'm just cursed I guess 'cause I never heard of anyone else having a similar problem with a DTM...