Thoughts on Mesa/Celestion Black Shadow speakers??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Scoeb City, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Scoeb City

Scoeb City Member

any one had much experience using these?
    are they any good for high gain sounds?
    i'm thinkin about purchasing a used mesa road ready 4x12 loaded with 4 of these .... im using a Diezel Herbert mostly for heavy rock and metal tones... are they reliable speakers?
    bassy?
    mid heavy?
    really bright and sizzly like V30's ?

any feedback would be great.

2. rabbit

rabbit Member

I don´t think that I have much experience with these speakers in general but I do play a Mesa 2x12 3/4back cab (with Black Shadows) since about 2 or 3 years and use it for mid to high gain sounds.

No issues up to now, I think they are reliable. (Note: I only slam them with 50 watts instead of the 100+ of your herbert)

I think they have a quite even frequency spectrum, about the same amount of bass, mid and treble. You must take into consideration that the mentioned 2x12 cab I have is voiced to sound like a 4x12 so has more bass and lower mids. That´s why I just guess what the speaker sounds like in a different cab design.

Maybe others could shime in. The Black Shadow has been discussed here before and I know there are some here who like it a lot.
    Try the search function as well.

3. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I thought they were basically a classic lead 80?

4. Robotechnology

Robotechnology Supporting Member

Yep, basically a Classic Lead 80 with a vented polepiece to bump the wattage handling to 90 watts up from 80.

I bought 2 Mesa 3/4 Back cabs loaded with these speakers because they are my favorite sounding cabs. They only sound better the more they're turned up.

Anyways, they really are great speakers... I've heard them loaded in Earcandy 2X12's, CAE 4X12's, & Mesa 4X12's (all 4 as well as 2 mixed with 2 EVM's as well). Played a Herbert thru 'em at low volume too.

5. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

My favorite! Big low end with a very smooth top end. Very punchy...great classic rock crunch to high gain driver, but nice cleans as well. Not a lot of breakup....and still built in the UK, according to Mesa. I agree that they just sound better the more you crank 'em, but they deliver a good low volume tone as well.

6. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

What RGB said. My favorite speaker as well. They're pretty tough too. I played a 100w Mesa through 1 of them for years. It was cranked very loud on many a night. It's still going and sounds great.
    If you get new ones keep in mind they take a while to break in. The more you crank them the better they will sound.

7. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

Great speakers. Good clean and distorted tones-very versatile. My only niggle with them is some cone cry when pushed real hard but most Celestions do that.

Dan

8. Scoeb City

Scoeb City Member

thanks a lot bros! i went and tried out the cab with my herbert today and it sounded awesome....not totally as bright as my recto oversize with v30's but i like that ..it has a fuller lower mid i wanna say? and they do sound great loud...im going to use it live on friday...where i'll have the recto at one side of the stage and the road ready with the shadows at the other and we'll see how it sounds.

thanks !

SC

9. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

it's been one of my "go to" speakers for a long time
    it's not exactly the same as a cl80
    got a bit more lowend for sure

I would call it a balanced speaker

good stuff
    and they are all made in england

10. el34power

el34power Member

+1 on the black shadow... Very nice cone.

11. phoenix

phoenix Gold Supporting Member

Everyone covered the why's. I just know I like them but I am easily hypnotized.[​IMG]

12. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

Bob Burt cabs?
    sweet!

13. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Must reading for you, SC:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=49919&highlight=Shadow

And now, if I may quote the eminent John Phillips:

14. Scoeb City

Scoeb City Member

thanks a lot, that was actually helpful...and yeah the don't sound as harsh on the top end as the V30's ...which i really like cuz i like a biting sound ...but not tooo much...it just seems much smoother and almost more responsive.