Thoughts on Mesa Mark V:35 combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ColonelForbin, May 2, 2016.

1. ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin Member

Anyone care to share their thoughts and/or experience with the Mesa Mark V:35 series? I am primarily looking at the 1x12 combo. I've been looking to upgrade the tube amp part of my analog-ish stompbox pedalboard rig for some time. Been distracted in Helix-FRFR land for the last few months, getting back into the "relative simplicity" of my pedals and amp.. I recently adjusted my board so it's working much better; I had to correct some cable issues and move a few pedals around. I realized in the process how much better my rig could sound with a proper tube amp! (current amp is a Line6/Bogner DT25)

So it's true, G.A.S. has flooded my brain and has prevented me from thinking about much of anything else. I tell ya - it's a hazardous thing to get a Sweetwater credit card! They keep increasing the limit!... o_O

Anyway, here are the main points that caught my attention on the Mark V:35; feel free to chime in with any additional things to consider, plus or minus!

- two independent channels
    - separate solo boosts for clean channel and lead channel
    - three watt / power selections: 10w, 25w, 35w (Class AB/Triode / Dyna-Watt)
    - separate wattage controls for clean channel and lead channel
    - CabClone DI/XLR output
    - tube driven, long tank spring reverb
    - multiple preamp voicings : Mark V, Mark IV, and Mark IIC+

[​IMG]

nolenuttt likes this.
  2. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I have a V:25, and have played the V:35 combo extensively. It's a great amp, BUT I didn't like the combo. Sounds too boxy. I like a separate head and cab much more. The Lonestar 1x12 23 is amazing with it.

ColonelForbin likes this.
  3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Nice amp... But as PaisleyWooki said, the combo sounds boxy... All Mesa combos sound boxy to me... The cabinet dimensions are off tonally... Get a head a 1/12 or Better yet a 2/12 cab for it...

4. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

Ok boo on me but what the heck is a boxy sound? I thought this amp sounded pretty mighty.

rummy, ColonelForbin and nolenuttt like this.
  5. SV5150

SV5150 Member

I never played the combo.
    I own a 25. It sounds different through different cabs.
    Ive played it through many variable cabs. I prefer it through a 212 with v30s but thats me.
    Food for thought

lowpaygigs likes this.
  6. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

Absolutely disagree with the boxy reference-Sounds big to me-The Cabclone feature is really useful-Really love this amp-A lot of stuff in a small package-

rummy, ColonelForbin and lowpaygigs like this.
  7. Droptopandy

Droptopandy Supporting Member

The only Mesa combos that don't sound boxy to me are the bigger widebody models like the Electra Dyne and Roadster. Mark series amp IMHO need to be played through a closed back cabinet.

8. soundbee

soundbee Member

I think the "boxiness" is more of a volume thing. Once you get it up to gig volume (not too loud really - just enough to keep up with a drummer)... they tend to sit really nicely in a mix.

9. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

I'd get a used Mark V rather than the new Mark V:35. A lot of people are dumping to jump on JPs and lighter options, but the Mini Marks leave some of the best stuff out. There was a recent thread or two detailing it. Saw a Mark V combo in good condition on my local CL a few weeks ago for $1200. Almost bought it, even though I already have a MkV head :confused:

10. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

IMO it's not even a requirement for it to be closed back; it sounds awesome with a wide body open back as well.

tmac and ColonelForbin like this.
  11. ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin Member

Good thoughts, thanks everyone! Much to consider, I need to track some of these down in person me thinks and do some playing and listening; ideally compare the head+cab next to the combo. I don't need to play anything that needs a cabinet that weighs more than the combo; no 2x12 or 4x12 for me!

Basically, the combo, open back, EL84's is probably a perfect tone for my playing - bluesy rock with some jam / improv, not doing heavy or metal. Is medium rock a genre? lol :)

My ears are typically happy with a 1x12 combo on an amp stand type sound; though I do like stacking an open back combo on top of a closed back cabinet. From watching one of the Mesa promo videos, looks like the combo stacks nicely on top of the Thiele 1x12 cabinet?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  12. tmac

tmac Goldmember Gold Supporting Member

love my MKV 35 combo. the small cab does make it more directional and less "big" I'd say, some would call it boxy I guess, & it does sound better through my larger Mesa 1x12 cab. But I love the classic small footprint Mesa combo like this. Easy to tote and punchy if you need it to be. Not as loud as the 90W MKV and a lot lighter. Perfect for my use. My only desire would be to have a "less gain switch/mode" on the lead channel. I'm running it pretty low in C+ mode, about 10:30 or 11:00 oclock on the gain pot. SOunds great and very happy with it but would like a bit more range on that channel to get more edge of crunch sounds and have the clean channel to just run pretty clean. Clean mode is great and crunch mode section of the clean channel is very good.

I can take that amp, a wah pedal, and maybe some type of modulation pedal and cover all I need for a typical gig.

nolenuttt and ColonelForbin like this.
  13. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

Maybe run a 12at7 instead? Evidently it helps with the V. I'm about to try it on channel 2 myself since I rarely get the gain above noon or 1.

ColonelForbin and tmac like this.
  14. tmac

tmac Goldmember Gold Supporting Member

yes, was going to try that for the drive channel gain stage, just has way more gain than I need. But on the other hand it really does sound great so hate to mess with tubes right now...sigh...but I probably will at some point.

nolenuttt and ColonelForbin like this.