Thoughts on Monte Allums pedals in comparison?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by papersoul, Feb 12, 2015.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

What do you all think of most Monte Allums mods and pedals compared to standard off the shelf boutique pedals? I am curious how you all rate next to high end pedals or even MXR, Way Huge and pedals in that categorie?

I used to do some of the mods but I am way more into pedals now and wish I still had some. I miss the modded OD pedal and BF-2 that I had. I do still have the modded GE-7 that I do love.

Comments? Experiences?

2. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

I had an Allums GT modded SD1 and It was fantastic. I should have kept it. I had another SD1 with the Allums 808 mod that I thought was awful. Go figure.

3. Alchemy Audio

Alchemy Audio Silver Supporting Member

Since Monte only sells kits, the pedals are only as good as the person who installed it.

4. rschultz13

rschultz13 Supporting Member

I've done 7-8 of his mods and 3 of his full pedal kits (ask me which ones if you are interested). Loads of fun if you like that sort of thing. But here's my conclusion. By the time you buy the pedal (used) and mod it, you're in that $80-100 range. For that kind of money (or a little more) you can get any number of great boutique dirt pedals that are probably just as good if not better.

So if you like soldering and modding and are pinching penniesÂ… do some Monte mods. If not, don't bother.

5. rschultz13

Let me clarify further. All the mods Monte does are for low-end pedals, generally speaking. And they definitely improve them, but they usually don't improve them enough to get into the boutique class. Some of them maybe, but in general you start with a low end pedal and you'll end up with a really good low end pedal. Of the ones I did, I thought the BD-2 Blues Stack and the CS-3 Ultra were pretty good - and the SD-1 808 is worth a shot just because they are so cheap (new or used). But you are essentially starting out with a Chevy Cavalier… you can mod the crap out of it and make it better, but it's never going to be in the Corvette class.

6. KirschwasserFromAShell

KirschwasserFromAShell Member

Agreed. I have a SD-1 with a GT mod. On its own, it's a very good drive sound with nice flexibility options. However, it sits on my board next to a John Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive that I think sounds smoother and has a more "buttery" attack. I tend to use either one or the other and not stack them together. I have the SD-1 dialed for a bit more grit and hair while my Landgraff is dialed in with a slightly more compressed sound.

That said, the Monte Allums mod take an already decent pedal and transforms it into a high value piece on my board. When I take a mini-board or a single dirt pedal in the gig bag, I'll take the SD-1 in a heartbeat because it sounds good and isn't a huge deal if it gets lost or stolen.

7. rschultz13

Yeah, next time I find a SD-1 on CL for $30, I might spring for it just because it's so cheap and the 808 mod will essentially give me a tricked out tubescreamer for cheap.

8. papersoul

papersoul Member

I don't know if it is so much cost. I mean, I have $100 or less pedals as good as $300 pedals.
    I replaced my Mont Boss BF-2 with an MXR Analog Chorus which I find as good as high priced boutique pedals I have owned.

9. G22

G22 Member

I've bought a monte allums modded TS9 and it sucked. Seems to be an outdated version of the mod though. My stock TS9 was better. Sold it to my friend and he said he like it.

The tri-gain mod was just stupid. Change to much the volume output.

10. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

in this case to make your analogy make any sense the corvette would have to have started as a copy of a cavalier, made by hand, by someone with very limited experience, and cost 5 times as much as what its a copy of.

i dont believe these mod kits are cost effective. like that other poster said- by the time youre done you couldve just bought a pedal that you liked the sound of to start with and not piddle around. if tinkering is the point then buy a pedal kit- those are cost effective.

11. reo73

reo73 Member

I have a H20 modded BD-2 and it is FANTASTIC!!! Been on my board for about 6 years now without the slightest hesitation of pulling it off. I use it for light gain sounds.

On the other hand, I had one of his modded DS-1 and did not like it so much.

12. rschultz13

I agree, they are generally not cost effective. Even when I bought used for a good price, then modded it, when I sold them I usually lost $10-30. The mods don't increase the value much if any.

13. rschultz13

Right, I think the BD-2 is one of the better boss dirt pedals stock. So modding it does make it better and are probably Monte's most successful mods.

14. misisipimike

misisipimike Supporting Member

I took a shot on his Dynacomp mod and it really took that pedal up to boutique standards (imho).

Obviously it is still a Dynacomp. But it is the clearest, most bell like Dynacomp you are going to find for the $100 or so total that the kit and a used red bucket box cost me.

15. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

lovin' my opto-modded CS-3, it just sounds good.

i'd had the pedal for years (so it was pretty much a "sunk cost") which means the $30 for the mod kit was way worth it.

16. rschultz13

I did both the opto and the ultra... Think I liked the ultra better. Both were good. I might try it again if I find a cs-3 for cheap.

17. adamclark182

adamclark182 Member

I modded a Dynacomp, it really transformed it. It was annoyingly fiddly though.

18. Belmont

Belmont Member

I was going to buy a MA modded CS-3 until I tried it, it was so bad I couldn't believe it. I have a MA modded DS-1, it has a green LED and the MA sticker, other than that it's hard to tell it's been modded at all.
    so far, not a fan.

19. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

Agreed on the BD-2 mod. I love it.

20. multivir

multivir Member

I modded my CS-3 Compressor and my TR-2 Tremolo.

Those were pedals that I already had bought new, years ago.
    I had a learning curve from the moment I realized that I needed a compressor until I learned how to actually apply it. Once I was at this stage, I had the choice of spending a few bucks and some time soldering or selling my old pedal at a loss, and buying a new "boutique" one. I'm outside the U.S., so prices are generally higher, the selection is smaller and shipping is a PITA.

I still love those two pedals. They do what they're supposed to, at a small upgrade price. I wouldn't buy a Boss pedal to mod it, but I can recommend it if you have pedals that you want to improve. Also, I like DIY stuff. Modding my own pedals is not as good as building something from scratch, but it's pretty cool. Saved me more than hundred bucks I would have lost selling & re-buying pedals.