Thoughts on new Epiphone ES339 PRO P90

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MissoulaGriz, Jan 16, 2015.

1. MissoulaGriz

MissoulaGriz Member

I posted this on the My Les Paul forum but figured I also post it here since there haven't been many reviews on the Epiphone ES339 PRO with P90's -

I just received a new Epiphone ES339 PRO P90 from Musicians Friend. I got 15% off on it and I also picked up the hardshell Epiphone case. All in it was just over $400.

My first impressions are very possitive so far. I've never purchased an Epiphone prior to this and currently own USA Fenders, Gibsons, Gretsch and USA G&L guitars. After playing an Epi ES339 with humbuckers at my local shop I was totally impressed with the overall quality of the guitar and how it played. Since I wanted something with P90's I went home and checked them out online and ordered the pelham blue.

It arrived today and I honestly was a little trepidatious about what I would receive in the mail. I've heard horror stories about oversees guitars in the past but then again, I've ordered Gibson's that have arrived in such bad shape that I've sent them back without hesitation. I figured, what the heck...not every single guitar that ships from China is a piece of s*%t and one of them has to be okay.

When I opened the box I was blown away by how beautiful the finish is on this guitar. The pelham blue is really striking. It's got a fantastic silver sparkle to it and unlike some older Epiphones that I've played in the past, it didn't feel like it was plastic due to heavy use of Poly. It was finished perfectly, resonated like crazy and has insane sustain.

I then prepared myself to find multiple finish issues and had already decided I wasn't going to let anything cosmetic be a huge deal breaker on this guitar. I searched and searched for messed up binding, overspray, bad frets, broken knobs, cracks...you name it. I couldn't find a thing. I mean nothing. This guitar is in pristine condition. I simply can't believe it.

I tuned up the guitar and checked intonation and it's spot on. The action is perfect. Medium height and no string buz. The neck relief is exactly how I would have set it on my own. I changed the strings to a new set of 10-46's tuned it up and it just rings like a bell acoustically. I've been pounding on the strings, bending like crazy and the guitar has stayed in tune without issues.

Plugged into my '67 Bassman through a 2X12 cab the P90's sound really great. Very nice clarity when clean and nice and gritty when overdriven with a Fulldrive II. The guitar has a ton of jangle but also a nice bit of growl. I was also pleasantly surprised that the bridge and neck pickup volumes are well matched so I won't have to do much height adjustments on them. I'm digging these PRO P90's...they sound dang good to me, especially in relation with my other guitars where I have them loaded with TV Jones, SD Antiquities and SD59's etc. I'd say they hold their own very well.

I anticipated a full set up by my guitar tech but quite frankly, at this point I'm going to wait a week or two then perhaps have him hit the frets to polish them up just a smidge but other than that, I can't think of a single thing this guitar needs at the present moment. I will eventually change out the wiring and pots and wire it up 50's stye. That won't happen immediately but I'll be doing it in the near future.

Overall I'm completely satisfied with this guitar. I'm looking forward to spending more time with it but I just can't get over how much attention to detail the folks at Epiphone are putting into their guitars. I'm a believer for sure. With the current pricing of Gibson's and some of the wonky stuff they are doing these days, it's my feeling that you'll see a lot more players starting to gravitate towards Epiphone. This isn't a "My Epi will eat your Gibson" thread but...I just can't justify paying 3X the price I paid for this Epi 339 to buy a Gibson 339.

Here are a few shots for now. I'll get more detailed shots when I can get better lighting etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rauchman, jpervin, Ncp10 and 11 others like this.
  2. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

I played one acoustically for a bit in a local shop a few days ago. Seemed like a really nice guitar, and I liked the unplugged sound.

3. mrfett

mrfett Member

4. brandass

brandass Member

5. soundmuppet

soundmuppet Member

Looks like a really nice instrument. If it plays as well as it looks, you've got a winner.

Congrats.

6. bzrkrage

bzrkrage Member

Very nice brother! Sweet blue ride there. Just checked out video review. The P-90's sound great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Johnny2013

Johnny2013 Member

These guitars are really nice! Ive been tempted to pick one up

8. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Love my 335 Pro, love P90's... Contemplating the overlap. Looks very cool, congrats!

9. MissoulaGriz

MissoulaGriz Member

Thanks guys, yeah I've been really impressed so far and after I've had a few days with it, I still can't believe the fit and finish on the new Epiphones (at least this one and the ones I've played in local shops). I keep trying to find something to nit pick since I like to tweak on all my guitars but I just can't find anything obviously wrong or unsatisfactory at this point.

I honestly haven't seen too many good videos of this guitar other than random noodling or a guitar that's out of tune etc. This video of the 339 Custom Coupe from guitar world really sold me on it even though I know it's a totally different guitar etc. I figured if he could make this one sound this killer, I could do the same with the PRO P90. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nprU4Y6tGQw

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  10. BeardoCI

BeardoCI Member

Beautiful guitar! Could use something with P90s myself, and fancy a semi-hollow too :idea

11. caspa

caspa Member

Congrats on the nice guitar! good choice, a drummer friend chose a 339 pro (humbucker) as his first electric and I'm always amazed by how nice it is for $400.

12. 4inchjones

4inchjones Member

Congrats. I have the exact same guitar. I posted about it in the other recent 339 thread. The only fault I can find is upper fret access, but that just a limitation inherent in the smaller body style. Well that and my switch went out hours after getting it home ;)

13. lespaulreedsmith

lespaulreedsmith Member

where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains
    nice! What other colors does that come in?

14. MissoulaGriz

MissoulaGriz Member

15. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

16. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Have you looked at it without the pickguard yet?

17. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I'd love a Black finish option, but of those listed I'd grab a Vintage Sunburst.

18. MissoulaGriz

MissoulaGriz Member

Yup, took the pick guard off today and gave it the once over. Super clean on the F-holes. No overspray or funkiness that I could find. Popped the truss rod cover and gave it a quick turn one direction then the next just to make sure the rod wasn't frozen or loose and it's all good. I like the looks of it without the guard as well.

At this point I'm done giving it the once over. I have rehearsals this week and studio time booked so I'm planning on putting it through it's paces in a the "real world." I have no worries about this guitar whatsoever as to how it will perform. It's going to be a workhorse right alongside my '65 Gibson, 2004 Gibson and '87 Fender!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  19. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

Yup.

jbcohen92 likes this.
  20. sosomething

sosomething Member

I've played a few. They're well-appointed, generally cleanly built. They feel a little plasticky. They're getting nearer the top of the import heap all the time but I don't think anyone will be confusing them for a USA 339 in a blindfold test any time soon.