• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Thoughts on new Fender Player Series Guitars

telejammer

Was contemplating buying on of these to fool around on and just something to look forward to ,alleviating some of the boredom being confined at home. They seem pretty nice and are reasonable in price. Has anyone played any of these guitars or own one that can shed some light,Thanks.

fescue

I’ve got the Jaguar. It’s good and plays nice. Build quality is typical Fender. Pick ups are pretty good. (I have swapped out Fender picks ups for Seymour Duncan’s in the past, but not on this one.) The neck is a modern C shape, which should appeal to many. My only complaint: bridge sucks. But that is more of a Jaguar thing then it being in the Player Series.

Jabby92

My personal choice would be a used MIA Standard/Professional as the Player models are getting near that price point. Having said this, they are the best the MIM stuff has been that I have played. Finally have alnico pickups and also the tone knob is wired to the bridge pickup pot so its more usable. Also it has the 2 point bridge which is nice and 22 frets. They don't come with a case and ship out in a cardboard box only if that matters, I like having a case with every guitar that I buy personally.

YMMV as usual.

Madison

I went in to GC a month ago to pick up a capo, and since there decided to noodle on some guitars. I'm a tele guy but still enjoy a strat as well. Pulled a Player strat hss off the wall and was hooked after 20 minutes. Gave it some thought and ordered one from Sweetwater this week, but it won't ship until April.

If you read up you can view the features, in the meantime it played and sounded great, and this before a setup to my liking.

telejammer

Just ordered a Player Model Strat in HSS from Musician's Friend,they have 0% financing for 48 months on them.I got the candy red color with black guard and black pickups and knobs, Looks pretty cool, hope it will be a good one.

Ensenada has gradually, gradually been improving quality over time. With a few exceptions like the Blacktop model range, with cheap imported loaded pickguards and mismatched bridges.

But I'll be frank: The neck section isn't fat enough for me, on any of these new Player products.

I guess if you buy now, with that Return Policy, you can beg off of the transaction, should it be the case you can buy something else for half the price pretty soon. Would MF, GC or others abruptly abrogate this easy return policy, should the market for retail guitars collapse? Well yes, they might do that. If Sweetwater cannot deliver the guitar promptly, to heck with that. Find someone who can.

+

Buying something from Sweetwater that cannot be delivered and they get access to the money, is sort of like buying everyone you know $ 200 each in Starbucks gift cards. Who cares about Starbucks? Let them go. Support the little guy; your neighbor's small business - not these huge corporations who know quite well how to protect themselves where Power congregates.

Last edited:

Madison

I went in to GC a month ago to pick up a capo, and since there decided to noodle on some guitars. I'm a tele guy but still enjoy a strat as well. Pulled a Player strat hss off the wall and was hooked after 20 minutes. Gave it some thought and ordered one from Sweetwater this week, but it won't ship until April.

If you read up you can view the features, in the meantime it played and sounded great, and this before a setup to my liking.
Update: Got it Sunday, a sunburst HSS. Its really nice, as nice as the many American Standards I've owned in the past. I took some time and got it set up just right and the action is really low, the bridge humbucker is wild. The satin neck (with pau ferro fretboard), while a bit on the thin side for my tastes, quality-wise feels just like a Suhr Classic T I owned in 2017. If I could get a sized neck like the one on my Brad Paisley tele it would be near perfect. Also with the humbucker the position 2 doesn't quack very well ala Knopfler, so I'm thinking of picking up a loaded sss pickguard and change them out every so often.

LaceSensor1

I just purchased a new Player HH Tele in tidewater blue. Here is my assessment.

The first thing I notice is the NECK. This guitar neck has the "modern" guitar vibe going on. Reminds me of the Suhr necks I've played. Modern C shape, 9.5" radius, medium jumbo frets, very thin satin like finish. All in all this neck will hold its own compared to high end guitars. The frets are almost perfect, shiny, fast, and clean...keeping in mind the frets ends are not as smooth as a guitar which has been "finished" by a luthier, but nothing which would effect play-ability. The electronics feel stout and smooth pot movements. The finish is great, I have yet to find a flaw. The only part about this guitar which actually felt cheap are the string tree and pickup selector knob. I have already replaced the string tree with an am std part and glued the pickup selector knob permanently into place. The electronics have that quality "snap" between pickup positions and pots are very smooth. One strange thing is I do not believe the head-stock is the american shape. Very similar but a little anemic looking compared to an american. I was not expecting this. There is a TGP thread about this tele headstock shape difference. Not sure if this is some sort of optical illusion but I do not believe so. The neck is not a flawless grain pattern but at this price point I do not believe this is to be expected.

Pros
Great Neck/frets
Great Electronics
Great Finish

Cons
fret ends could use some smoothing but not too bad
cheapo string tree (I've already replaced this with an am std string tree)
pickup selector knob had to be glued in place (was loose out of the box)

Conclusion: I would happily buy this guitar again. The cons are minor and easily fixed with very little to no money.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom