Thoughts on old Traynor amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by shark_bite, Jul 11, 2008.

1. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

I guess it isn't a huge secret that these are pretty good amps for the money -- I picked up a '73 YBA-2B a few months back after playing through another one at the studio in which I was recording, which blew my mind. When I finally got mine and had the chance to bring it out and gig a little with it, it was almost loud enough... but not quite. So, I threw in a JBL D130F, and it's definitely louder. Thing is, I'm not quite sure how I feel about the sound of it. Anyone who's seen any of my posts/replies here in the amp section has probably seen at least part of the story in which I found the world's greatest-sounding SFDR a month or two ago and it's making it very hard for me to appreciate the other stuff I've got.

Anyway, what I'm really curious about is a few things: 1, anyone else have one? 2, what speaker(s) have you tried? 3, ever have any issues with speaker rattling? I think that's what it is... with either of my JBLs I'm getting a rattling sound that is rather unpleasant. 4, thoughts on the ballpark value of this amp? I think I got a damn good deal at $200, but if I did decide to turn around and sell it, while I'd definitely ask more than that, I have no idea HOW much more. And finally, 5, anyone sell one of these and then regret it?

2. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

I have a YBA 1A and a YBA 1... I changed the pots in both, from the stock 4 meg pots to 1 meg pots. The YBA 1A at 90 watts sounds better, less compressed and more clean headroom. But it is too loud for most applications.

I've never heard or played a YBA 2B.

3. readymade

readymade Supporting Member

I just got a YBA-2B (el84 version) for $60 off of craigslist. It needs a cap job most likely as it's a bit noisy, but it sounds awesome--a great match for my Tele. It's hardly a bass amp at all, that's for sure. . .

I could see how it might have issues at gig volumes, but it seems like it'd make a great recording amp. I'd throw in the old speaker and just play it at home. The resale on these isn't tremendous (a YBA-2B just ended on ebay for $330-ish, I believe), though other Traynor models have shot up in value over the last few years.

4. AL30

AL30 Member

Isn't that a bass amp? You may wanna look into a few coupling cap changes - just a thought.

I've got a few older Traynors - not a YBA-2b though - and they do take a while to get used to. The tone-stacks are really odd. You can do a lot with them but there's a definite learning curve. They tend to be a little "stiff" at lower volumes and can be bright if not adjusted.

Have you tried adding an extension cab to solve your volume problems?

Traynor's are very well built - $200 is a good price for something that's put together that well.

AL

5. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Yeah, it actually is a bass amp. The Bass Mate is actually a relatively dark sounding amp, but especially with the JBL it retains a pretty crisp treble response, which makes it a nearly perfect match with my Tele. It reminds me a lot of some of the clips I've heard of Brad Paisley demo-ing Dr. Z amps, actually.

I probably won't try anything extension cab-related because the amp is already about 65 pounds as it is and pretty cumbersome to get from place to place. But maybe I'll turn it into a head someday, I've heard of a lot of people doing that. I would imagine that through a couple of 12s it'd be a completely different beast.

6. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

My YBA-3 custom special is a bass head too, but sounds killer for guitar. They don't call them Marshall killers for nothing! I've never played a 2A though. I gather it's a combo? I'd say if you can afford to, keep it. I don't think you'll regret it. Traynors are going to become more and more valuable.

7. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Good point - not to mention the sickening envy most other guitar players get when they hear it. I think it's getting kind of old for me, perhaps that novelty is starting to fade since I'm much more of a Fender guy, but yeah... it only took me 30 seconds of playing through one to declare that I needed one of my own. Readymade, at $60 you got a hell of a deal, no matter which way you slice it.

8. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I have the same amp-I use it for recording at home.It rocks...

9. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

Please tell me you didn't get that from the Central New Jersey or Jersey Shore lists. I check those pretty often and am gonna be pissed if I missed this.

I mean, it's nice that you got that deal, I just think it would have been a lot nicer if I had. :)

10. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

I have a 68 YBA1 converted to plexi specs. I use a closed back 2x12 with weber ceramic BD/SB combo. Sounds killer.

11. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I had a YBA1A and is was a smokin good sounding amp. Great design too.

YOu can still find them for $350-$600 which is a steal. Very Marshally in some ways. :)

12. doctorx

doctorx Member

I have two YBA1-A's and a YGM-3, wonderful amps.

13. ROKY

ROKY Member

I had a 2B head(w/EL-84s) that I regret selling 4yrs ago..

Still have a YBA-2 combo(6V6s) and changed the 15" speaker baffle out
    for a 12" speaker baffle so I could have more speaker choices.

Also in the collection :

'66 YBA-1, '68 YBA-1A, (2) '68 YBA-3s, '71 YSR-1,'73 YGL-3A and... a
    '74 YGL-3 combo(2x12) .

I guess I like the Traynors ?

14. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

I guess you do! Is either of your YBA3's the custom special models (with the master volume added)? No doubt they're monsters. I have the YC810 cabinet to go with mine.

15. cugel

cugel Member

i had a markIII that i got off ebay from some russian pawn shop in FL for a song because in the add it was spelled tryanor
    no one saw the add
    i misspelled and got lucky

a brute of an amp that was loaded with features i put two weber thames innit and did windmills ala pete. really a good fit for that amp actually
    sold it

16. Franktone

Franktone Member

At one time had a Traynor YBA1A mark II and a pair of JBLD140F (15 inchers), and I noticed a rattle in one of the speakers. When I examined the rattling speaker more closely, I noticed that the cone was pulling away slightly from one side of the speaker frame, where it was glued, no doubt causing misalignment of the whole cone and causing the voice coil to slightly rub within the concentric circle in which it sits. This would explain the rattling. The reasons for this happening are most likely twofold: 1) the glue holding the cone aroung the perimeter remains plyable throughout the lifetime of the JBL speaker 2) the weight of the cone initiates the starting of the sagging process. I took that speaker in for re-coning (about 1971) and when the speaker came back it had a new cone, but was still not perfect. You can learn to live with that slightly fizzy sound (not a bad idea, and this speaker will still live forever that way) or seek out someone who can properly do a re-cone (expensive). Today, I have a YBA3A Custom Special (about 1969) going through a 4x12 Traynor "Rogue" speaker cabinet.

17. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Well, I have two different D130s that this is happening in, and one of them was just reconed a couple months ago. The other is original paper, and it will definitely need it soon, but it's probably doing less rattling than the other.

18. Franktone

Franktone Member

It's only the second reason that I abandoned them. The first reason is that they are so loud with a powerful amp, but they do have a certain sound and I like the looks of them. Do you find them hard on the ears? I do.

19. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Definitely harder on the ears than the RSC (Jensen) that came with the amp, but not harsh or anything. Like I said before, volume was kind of an issue. I have a pentecostal church gig where they don't mic me, and with a band like that (i.e. loud, and when the healin' starts, even louder) I can't keep up with a 20-watt amp unless it's got a pretty efficient speaker.

Thing is, a friend of mine has a BFDR and a BF Pro, as well as a BJr, ALL with D120F speakers. I can't think of anyone I know who gets a better tone from his amps than him. However, he told me recently that he has the aluminum dome replaced with a felt one, which might explain why - from what I've read here it seems people tend to think of JBLs as a really clean, almost harsh speaker. "Clean" and "harsh" don't really describe the sound of his amps at all, JBL or not.

20. Franktone

Franktone Member

That felt dome sounds like a good idea, and these JBL's are a good idea for an amp that needs a little more volume. I especially like the fact that these are alnico speakers, high quality speakers. So yes, I think you are correct to use them