Thoughts on one of an under $500 low wattage amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sonic Reducer, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

2. frank62

frank62 Member

A good player with an ear can do some pretty amazing things with the Blues Junior.

3. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

anybody else have anything?

4. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

5. fredgarvin

fredgarvin Member

Palomino v16 or 32. Sweet sounding amps can do chime real good and nice overdrive too. Push em with a pedal to get major crunch.

6. theraygun

theraygun Member

Fender Princeton Silverface Non-reverb. Killer vintage tone. Can be found in that price range on eBay.

7. nomadh

nomadh Member

I get lots of great tone with my crate v30 and my peavey classic 50. You could probably get both for about $500 used. The peavey is the clean boy that sounds great with a ts in front also and the crate is the nasty grindy one.

8. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW
    I run two amps at gigs - one a 40 watt tube amp with a V30 for pedals, the other a tweed Blues Jr with a Celestion G12H30 for playing guitar-straight-into-amp. It's an either/or situation, and have not so far used both together under this current configuration.

Guitars are primarily Gibsons with PAF style pickups, mostly a Les Paul Standard and a CS-336.

Last night's gig, a blues, r&b and "punk jazz" deal, I gravitated heavily toward just the Blues Jr. Same with the last gig with this particular group a week ago. The BJ is both articulate and in-you-face, and the G12H30 adds a whole 3rd dimension.

Also, I use a footswitch for the "Fat" boost and I'm in pure heaven. It's funny how this little cheap amp has so much more dynamics and tonal complexity than some of the high-$$ boutiques I've shared the stage with.