Thoughts on protein powder?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Gas Hed, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Gas Hed

Gas Hed Member

Mostly wondering what the ingredients really are and if you can rely on the companies making the product to be truthful with their labels. I’m very skeptical. Thoughts? Can’t believe they are not regulated, though that can be a joke too.

2. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

My wife goes through 10 LBS of the stuff every month. And she wonders why she is looking......larger.

3. Thedude99

Thedude99 Member

Look for brands that have independent lab analysis done and you should be fine. You’ll pay a lot more though.

Other than that, it’s a crap shoot as to what you are getting. The entire supplement industry is as shady as it comes. I wouldn’t touch anything without independent verification.

You can always just eat real food instead. That’s a better option.

Phil M, rauchman, Scrapperz and 7 others like this.
  4. MkIIC+

MkIIC+ Supporting Member

I wouldn't touch the stuff nor would I entrust the vast majority of providers. I prefer protein from as natural and as unadulterated a source as possible. My personal favorite is the meat counter and the fish market.

H. Mac likes this.
  5. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Have a can of tuna. Or a chicken breast. You'll be better off.

Hwy14, Ren007, rauchman and 12 others like this.
  6. Moby Dick

Moby Dick Member

A cup of Greek yogurt has @ 20g of protein.

I mix my non-sweetened Greek yogurt with honey.

Trotter, JoeB63, shane8 and 2 others like this.
  7. Rimbaud/Rambo

Rimbaud/Rambo Member

Largely a fad promoted by pop nutrition science with p-hacking galore. Completely unnecessary for most people, barring those, perhaps, with Celiac disease, hypoproteinemia - likely via Celiac disease, or some other condition limiting their protein absorption and/or limiting their appetite, thus needing high levels of protein in a relatively small serving. Or maybe Olympic athletes who train 12 hours a day and have a diet of 6,000+ calories a day to keep up. The average person going for a morning jog or to the gym 3 times a week is not an Olympic athlete (sorry, bro).

Most people in the developed world get more than enough protein through their regular diets (and in the US, we tend to eat significantly more protein than the rest of the developed world... so, more than is more than necessary).

8. ducker 1

ducker 1 Member

That stuff bound me up--eat meat,cheese.peanut butter and drink milk--oh ya and drink beer :D

Phil M, Scrapperz and burner like this.
  9. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

If you need a lot of protein in a day, it can help give your digestive system a bit of a rest.

I'd advise against it if it is being used as a substitute for healthy eating.

10. Bozak

Bozak Member

I question all supplements, chances are you just sh*t/p*ss the great bulk of that stuff out without anything happening, and there's no evidence to the contrary, eat food.

Chris Scott, Scrapperz and shane8 like this.
  11. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Creates gas, a lot.

12. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

And not Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

baldric, Scrapperz, pepedede and 3 others like this.
  13. Melt In The Sun

Melt In The Sun Member

Surprised at these responses. Protein powder is food and as such is subject to food labeling laws. You can see what's in it and what's not.

It is an easy source of lean protein that has a very long shelf life. There's nothing wrong with it if it help you meet your nutrition goals. You don't have to be an olympic athlete to want to boost your protein intake.

orourke, Lt Dak, cogan and 14 others like this.
  14. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

There are independent agencies and companies that buy and test supplements and report on the accuracy of the labeling. Here's one: https://labdoor.com/about

15. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

IME, that only happens if you have too much. For me, 1 scoop (30g protein) a day of whey protein doesn't cause any undesired effects.

16. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

One of the roomates in my "animal house" rental period used to meal replace with packets of protein powder from Amway for most of his meals. He stunk up the place significantly.

Scrapperz and pepedede like this.
  17. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Yeah, that's a good example of how to do it wrong!

18. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Member

I drink a whey protein shake from powder sold at Costco immediately after working out with weights. I'm trying to put some muscle back on and notice very positive results than when not drinking it.

One can only eat so much red meat, fish and I get sick of chicken easy.
    Also I would rather have those meats for dinner later.

19. dallasblues

dallasblues Member

I use them daily. Usually after my workouts. There’s nothing better than lean meats to get your desired protein intake. But mixing up a quick shake is pretty convenient.

Maltese Fan and Madguitrst like this.
  20. AdrenalinJunkie

AdrenalinJunkie Silver Supporting Member

My wife had Gastric Bypass surgery last Wednesday. She is required to have 60 grams of protein daily, but can't eat solid foods for 3 weeks. She has 3 protein shakes daily.

71strat and Roark like this.