Thoughts on Red5 Audio RVD1 kick mic?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by MichaelK, Oct 12, 2008.

1. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Has anyone used/heard the Red5 Audio RVD1 kick drum mic? If so, what thinkest thou?

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

Haven't used it, but I've yet to find anything I like better than my Audio-Technica ATM-25.

Haven't even thought about any other kick mics since I bought that when they came out.

If you want to go all the way, throw a sub-kick on w/it and mix to taste.

3. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Hi lb - Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking about that or the ATM-250 but I've never used either. Normally I like a D-12 or D-112, but it always needs EQ help. Other kick mics I've tried don't give me a "thud" that feels as satisfying on a gut level, so I'm reluctant to lay down the cash up front for a model I've never used.

What interested me about the AT mics and the RVD1 is that their frequency humps are pitched lower than the D-112, almost exactly as I would have spec'd them if I could. The D-112 is boosted around 100 Hz. & 5k, while the RVD1 is boosted around 80 Hz. & 3k. Anyway, Red5 gives a 14-day guarantee and the price is hard to beat (no pun intended) so I decided to try it this week and see for myself.

4. loudboy

loudboy Member

I've yet to see a kick mic that didn't need EQ - I usually just do it to "tape" and be done with it.

A little boost at around 60hZ, a dip in the "ugly zone" - 150-300hZ for that particular drum, and a a few dB of lift around 6KhZ.

I don't go crazy when tracking, so I can still have room to tweak during the mix, but I've yet to NOT have to do this to a kick.

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

You might be right, about there being no mic that nails it without EQ. I'm sure you've used more types than I have, but I was just hoping. I usually end up with the curve you described almost to a "T," though I find the beater notch usually around the 3k area.

Anyway, I tried the RVD1 today and I think I really dig it so far. It's pretty punchy with a more focused "thud" than a D-112. Unfortunately the drum itself was not so fine, and I had to compress the piss out it to tape, so it's hard for me to judge the mic just on its own merits. But at this ridiculously low price I'm holding on to it, for now.