Thoughts on repeating songs at gigs?

tnjazz

Runs with scissors
Platinum Supporting Member
I did some searches but didn't find much so I thought I'd ask.

What are your thoughts on repeating songs at gigs throughout the night, specifically bars?

We play a mix of classic rock covers and originals in smaller clubs, usually for the door and/or tips. The drummer and I are both not really too keen on playing songs again in later sets, but our bass player seems to think it's fine. I'm not talking about someone requesting something and throwing a nice tip in the jar. It's always struck me as lazy and unprofessional to play stuff again, unless an audience member requests it.

Thoughts?

James_E

Silver Supporting Member
We've done it at the end of the night due to requests... drunk people showing up at 1am and most everyone else has left... we'll play what they request if we know it.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
It can work fine

01a-rawhide-blues-bros.jpg

Suave Eddie

I did some searches but didn't find much so I thought I'd ask.

What are your thoughts on repeating songs at gigs throughout the night, specifically bars?

We play a mix of classic rock covers and originals in smaller clubs, usually for the door and/or tips. The drummer and I are both not really too keen on playing songs again in later sets, but our bass player seems to think it's fine. I'm not talking about someone requesting something and throwing a nice tip in the jar. It's always struck me as lazy and unprofessional to play stuff again, unless an audience member requests it.

Thoughts?

In general I have to say it is lame with few exceptions.

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
The bands I played in - we would have a few (i.e., 10-15) originals and then 45 - 60 covers to choose from. Thus, generally a song list that ranged from 55 - 75 songs, depending upon where the band's collective head was at. Duplicating a song at a gig - never entered our minds. Seriously. Have never done that.

2HBStrat

As a request, it okay iMO.....if it's because you don't have enough songs, then no......

I once saw Willie play "Whiskey River" three times in one show.

One night we tried an all request night......I sang Brown Eyed Girl three times that night......we didn't try that again....

Nebakanezer

World’s Okayest Guitar Player
Silver Supporting Member
Many moons ago, my first gigging band had just enough songs to not last all night, so for a few months (which equated to a couple of gigs) we had a "best of" set at the end of the night. The only folks that stick it out long enough to hear them twice are sober and working. Usually you'll get a better reaction the second time around. And as for tacky, maybe somewhat but as a cover band, giving the people what they want goes over better in the real world than it generally does here. YMMV

At one of the Furthur shows I went to, they "wove" that song Iko Iko in and out the night 3 times. I was actually kinda cool, like it became the theme of the night!

adolan

Silver Supporting Member
I saw Neil Young do it years ago in Munich, he played Piece Of Crap 2x but its Neil right?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom