Thoughts on SD California 50s Strat pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by duaneallen, Apr 28, 2015.

1. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

What do you guys think of this set of pickups? I'm looking for a good quality, affordable set of vintage sounding start pickups. I've already got a killer set of Lollars in my Suhr, so looking for something priced a little lower for another Strat. Thanks!

2. duaneallen

Anyone? Also thinking about Tex Mex pickups. Then again, I should just look for a good deal on some used boutique pickups lol.

3. David Garner

David Garner Member

I haven't tried them, but Frusciante used them on most of the RHCP records, and I love his tone.

I found this on the internet, and it was recorded with an SSL-1 in the bridge and middle and an SSL-5 in the bridge. It should give you a rough idea of what you'll be getting with the SSL-1 set.

4. 696

696 Member

Have used them for years and love them. Couldn't care less for the Bareknuckles and Fender CS I had in my Strat.

5. Morgancograve

Morgancograve Member

Yep, have a set of California 50's SSL-1's in a strat. Got commended about how 'stratty' they sound just the other day.

If anything the bridge is slightly weak, but they are a very true strat sound to me.

6. duaneallen

Thanks for the video DG. All of the videos out there for these pickups either feature lots of overdrive, or even worse modulation effects. Anyone have any clean videos or recordings of these pickups? Would you characterize them as vintage sounding, or hot and overwound?

7. mischultz

mischultz Member

I loved the SSL1s in the ESP vintage plus models. I've also had success with the Dimarzio true velvet set which can be had very reasonably.

8. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I have a set of SSL2s with an SSL5 in the bridge of what was my #1 guitar for several years. They are definitely brighter than the Tex Mex set. I'd definitely suggest putting the second tone pot so it affects the bridge if you go with all SSL1s or SSL2s. I also have a neck on to blend the neck and bridge pickups.

I have other Strats with Custom Shops, Fralins, Antiquities in other guitars and like the SSL2s just as much, but with different strengths and would have zero issues with these being in my only guitar.