• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Thoughts on Seagull Guitars?

rodas807

Just saw this brand a few weeks ago and really thinking about get an acoustic electric guitar as my practice guitar...since I'm moving in between Electric/acoustic and don't own one? and what's a good model in the acoustic electric from this brand? thanks!:munch:huh

DanR

I just picked up a Natural Elements Folk style Seagull (spruce/wild cherry) a few weeks ago. I had been shopping for a fairly inexpensive acoustic for fingerpicking to replace a Tanglewood parlor style that had a beautiful sound but I didn't like having to adjust to the narrow nut width. I hadn't planned on a Seagull but the looks caught my eye and upon playing it, I was very happy with it's sound. So, I bought it. It sounds great for fingerpicking and strums pretty well, too, although it does lack some bass.

I have not even tried to play it plugged in, though. It comes with a B-band pickup system and it seem that they're pretty much entry level electronics.

JSeth

Decent guitars for the $$$, but nothing to write home about...

Be SURE to play it before you buy it!

There was another Seagull thread here about a week ago that had alot of good feedback about the brand. The OP had purchased a Seagull Entourage and was reviewing it. I think they are great guitars. Im not a huge fan of the headstock design but its not a deal breaker. Go to any Guitar Center to check them out. They always have a bunch of em in stock. The Cedar top's sound awesome..Breedlove Passport series are also excellent bang for the buck.

kralltime

Platinum Supporting Member
Great, great value... best value out there in my opinion. Love the shorter scale length for playability!!!

guitararmy

I had an S6 once--couldn't get past the neck width near the nut.....maybe it's my small hands (don't go there....)

Clean Channel

There was another Seagull thread here about a week ago that had alot of good feedback about the brand. The OP had purchased a Seagull Entourage and was reviewing it. I think they are great guitars. Im not a huge fan of the headstock design but its not a deal breaker. Go to any Guitar Center to check them out. They always have a bunch of em in stock. The Cedar top's sound awesome..Breedlove Passport series are also excellent bang for the buck.
Actually, they know these headstocks don't necessarily sell as well as other more 'traditional' looking ones. The reason they do it is to minimize the angle of the string off the nut, which causes unwanted torque on the neck, unwanted tuning issues, etc.

So good on them for making the design they believe is most functional/reliable, and not just aesthetics!

Clean Channel

Since we're all sharing our stories...

Back in the mid 90s I was practicing and performing on a loaned (and very expensive) concert classical guitar. I had to be VERY careful with it, and for daily practice I instead wanted to get a guitar that felt good that I didn't need to baby all the time.

I saved up $1000 to pick up what classical guitarists call a 'student' guitar. Basically a middle of the road, nice but not too nice classical. I went to store after store trying guitars all around the GTA. Everything I played felt like junk compared to the concert instrument I had been playing.

Finally I went into a guitar shop, and they suggested I try a La Patrie (the classical line from Godin). The top-of-line model at the time had a sticker price of just $399. It played better than all of the $1000 instruments I had been playing!

I bought it on the spot and have played the hell out of that thing ever since. I literally learned every piece in my adult life on that guitar. It was slung over my back every day through my University years (BA hon and Masters in music), and I've had it with me for the thousands upon thousands of lessons I've taught since then. I've played it by campfires, and outside in the cold Canadian winter.

In terms of wear, the back of the neck is most impressive. Near the headstock you can see the original color of the finish, then you look down and see how the entire thing has worn down and stained dark and dull. There's also a huge crack down the top that just popped one day while the guitar sat next to me in my office (no worries, didn't affect the sound).

I now own and operate a music school, and have my own lovely concert classical guitar. Despite that, I still play my La Patrie pretty much every day, and have it with me for every lesson I teach! What a great guitar!

Oozymouf

I was always interested in them, but (like others) I thought the headstock seemed so odd. Superficial, I know. Anywho, found one at a store like 5 months ago and played it... SO NICE. For $312, it sounded awesome and was incredibly comfortable! While the action is not ridiculous low like my Carvin, it's still an amazing guitar.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
I've had a Seagull S6 cutaway and 3 Godins. Amazing guitars, not just for the money... amazing in their own right.

Jon C

Silver Supporting Member
seagull is great guitar for the money, check out a s6
Agree, I had an S6 for a few months several yrs. ago when I needed an inexpensive acoustic, before trading it in. For the price I thought it was quite good though I haven't played one since.

Trending Topics