Thoughts on the 4X10 Bassman reissue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gnugear, Jan 16, 2006.

1. gnugear

gnugear Member

2. playon

playon Supporting Member

I own a real 1960 Tweed Bassman, so I can compare the newer ones to the real thing. The regular reissues are OK, but not quite there. But I plugged into one of the more recent "LTD" point-to-point Bassmans with the laquered tweed and was very impressed, although upgrading the speakers in this amp would probably improve it even more. I think these are great amps.

I'v heard guys get great results buying the regular reissue Bassmans (you can pick them up for $600-700 used, maybe less) and then having them upgraded with a real PTP circuit boad, better speakers, and if you want to go all the way, put in an upgraded output transformer.

3. spikeRI

spikeRI Member

they need some help to be good as suggested...........but, the LTD's are not PtP, just laquered tweed, better tubes and adjustable bias pot...

4. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

I've done the complete upgrade on mine. I wouldn't do it again, I'd just build a kit.

Bassman's are great but I've yet to find a gig where I can crank it. It's damn loud.

5. proreverb68

proreverb68 Member

I second the above statement and would add...that for the money I cant see any private or cooperate company outdoing fender on this one.
    it is a great amp for 900-1400 dollar range.
    They crank too!
    Just check first for rattles and buzzes and your fine.

6. DAB

DAB Member

Yup. No PTP Wiring in the LTD. I think actually it's a "ripoff". They lacquer it and put in some "better" tubes (Not NOS vintage stuff) and wire in a bias pot and "Voila" the amp is now worth another $400 to $500 dollars?

I have a regular reissue. I put in "real" NOS RCA 7025s all the way through and some of the new TAD short bottle 6L6s and a tube rectifier. KLB checked the bias which turned out to be basically perfect (no biasing required) and "Voila" I have a reissue Bassman that sounds just as good "or better" than the LTD (that is unless the lacquered case makes a tremendous difference in tone).

Just my .02 YMMV

DAB

7. janek

janek Member

It is everyday`s struggle with horrible - ice-picky sound coming from Amp...
    I installed new power tubes (JJ`s are the best) - it needs manipulations with bias (good thing) , new preamp tubes -1st and 2nd - ay-7 (ecc81) and new rectifier`s tube .Overall , it is expensive.The main problem - speakers - the worst on Earth so-called Jensens PQ 10 R- stick , hard , buzzy sound.Swapping will cost me another 400 dollars.I paid for new about 1300 usd...
    regards

8. jayhawk

jayhawk Member

9. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Not good, GREAT! I played one against THREE original Bassmans, and it sounded EVERY BIT as good or BETTER. The stock speakers sound great. I put a tube rectifier in mine (Simple, pop out the SS one, and plug in a tube), and that was IT. The amp SMOKES. The stock transformers and everything else is DEAD ON to my ear. A total winner! I also directly A/Bd mine against the Victoria clone as well.. I WANTED to like the Vicky better, I really did, but no go. The Fender more than held its own. :AOK
    :BEER

10. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

I really dont know why anyone would go to this much trouble if they didnt like the amp to start with.
    In my mind the re-issue Jensens used in the bassman sound great.
    Groove tubes are a favourite of mine, I would love to hear someone try and winge about them because theres nothing to complain about.
    I bet you are using some sort of o/d pedal with your bassman hence the fizzy fuzzy icepick tones coming from it.
    I had the same problem but dont the old bassmans?
    This is just a though, no harm meant.
    Good on you for saying it how it is.

11. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

IMO, all things considered, the 4X10 Bassman is one of the best amps on the planet. However, having owned the regular Bassman reissue and the LTD version, I prefer the regular version mainly because (to my ear) it seems to have a tighter bottom than the LTD....which probably due to its plywood cab.

12. tfunster

tfunster Silver Supporting Member

Just got back from GC and I played the Bassman LTD. SWEET amp. Didn't turn it up enough for distortion, but a little dirt was coming through with the volume on 4 and a LP. Just great classic Fender tone. I would buy one but they're just too damn loud for me.

13. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

I've done this and it's a killer amp. I used Mervury Magnetics PT and OT, the Hoffman kit with the plastic board and J tubes. Sounds great. Amp has the original Fander Blue Alnico speakers.

Clay Hullett did mine.

14. janek

janek Member

Yes that`s the only way it works properly...

15. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

I think the LTD is tons better than the standard reissue for the money you can't beat it, they have to make it profitable essentially and they have to sell a lot of them, so the upgrades where we really want to see it, can't exist from that size of a company and price it in our means. (see 57Twin Reissue)

For my 1000 I'd probably go to Mr. Clark and his Beaufort with the fabulous Blue Dog or other Weber Speaker and PTP wiring.

If you really need that kind of output though and you love bassmans, it's a classy great sounding amp for a grand, no it's not the best ever, but it's a hell of a good offering from Fender. Some of us can't quite swing the Tygers or the Victoria's what have you, a solid pine cab decent tubes and adjustible bias, are nice to have.

16. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

I've been researching Bassmans for a couple weeks now myself. A lot of reviews state the Bassman has a tendency to be the ice pick to the ears that is very difficult to dial out. Maybe TAG got lucky with his?

Im finding several builders who can build you one, at many different prices but thats the route Im going when I have the money.

RC

17. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

IMO, they do not take pedals well. However, they are KILLER sounding clean amps, that always have a bit of breakup in the tone. This is ALL Bassmans and clones, NOT just the Fender. If you want the absolute best sounding bassman type amp, the Bruno tweedy pie 35 is HEAD and SHOULDERS above the others. It is jaw dropping. The only issue for ME is that it breaks up at a much lower volume than the fender and Victorias. The sound is so stunning though, it has to be heard to be believed. I A/bd it with the Vicky (which I love) and it completely smoked it. The fender bassman sounds EVERY BIT as good as the Vicky, and I liked the fender MORE with my jazz guitars. The cloners amps ALWAYS seem to have more midrange than the Fenders.

18. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

I think the reissue is a great amp for the money. It sounds pretty authentic at lower volumes, but I feel that the louder you turn this amp up the more you'll wish you had bought a vicky or clark. I did notice some ice pick and other ugly sounds when the volume is turned past halfway. This is my opinion of many of the Fender reissue amps--they sound fine at lower volumes, but start to suck as they get louder. Cheaper tubes, speakers, and transformers are likely the culprits.

19. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Supporting Member

When I had my LTD, I used some pretty extreme tone settings to dial out the ice pick:

Channels jumped:

Vol Bright: 3-4
    Vol Normal: 6-8
    Bass: 3-5
    Middle: 6-7
    Treb: 2-3
    Pres: 5-6

I did this with my 335, and it sounded like "THE BALLS"

And all I did was pop in a RCA 12ay7 for V1, all else was left stock. Its a nice amp, but just a little loud for me. I was at a friends house playing it at about 8 on both channels, and he got calls from people down the street like 4 houses. So earplugs would be a suggestion.

20. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Im using a Victoria Bassman (borrowed) with a tim and CJOD in front and it just sings. One of the best amps I've ever played through. (I've had many) I'd say it takes pedals quite well. :YinYang Its warm and full, this is not what I've heard about the LTD. :(

They are certainly LOUD though. Great clean headroom.

RC