Thoughts on the current Danelectro line?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mvsr990, Mar 14, 2008.

1. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

Musician's Friend is closing out the 2007 '59 DC model for $250 - sorely tempted.

I've heard there are some differences in these and the previous Dano line (and the vintage, of course) - thicker neck (yay), metal bridge instead of wood (?), hotter pickups.
    But do they still sound pretty good? Or should I hunt for one of the '90s-early '00s reissues instead?

(would love a Jerry Jones, but I'm in the mood for something cheap to experiment with)

2. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

I've got one of the 2006 Longhorn reissues. It is what it is, a great guitar......for the money. The new appointments helped.

It's clean and spanky clean...and snotty when driven.

Good luck.

3. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

I have a current DC. Nice little guitar. It sounds great, really good jangle & likes OD just fine. (exceptional for slide with some OD). Not much hum. It is lightwieght , balances well, & is finished fine. Tuners & bridge are substantail & functional (unlike some Danos).
    Drawbacks- frets are med jumbo but poorly finished. They were leveled but needed some ends filed & needed a crown & polish job. Pots are poor & have very uneven taper, both tone & volume.
    All in all, a GREAT guitar for $250! Finish the frets & replace the pots & it is a real winner (with a nice dose of "cool factor" included)!

4. peachy

peachy Member

I bought one earlier this week. If you want it you should grab it quick, the guy I talked to on the phone after my order got cancelled (ended up missing out on the last of the black or something) said that there were only something like 3 of them left.

5. mvsr990

Shoulda gone with my gut - sometime between this afternoon and now they sold out of the '59s.

Went ahead and bit on a Dano Pro - kinda funky looking, but interesting. If I want a double-cut later on, the '63s are out in a month, I think.

6. TNO

TNO Member

I have a Pro and I really like it. Not much upper fret access but having the neck set so deeply in the body really helps the tone. They are well made but I had to do a lot of detail work to get it set up.

7. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

I got a DC-3 in '00 from MF. I agree the finish work on the neck/frets is a little rough, but it is a great slide guitar. Just add a coricidin bottle and a cranked up tube amp. Nasty.

8. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

I bought a DC3 around 01 and out of the box it was the best playing guitar I've ever bought new. I dont know why I dont play it more often, I really like it. I didn't play alot of them so I can't speak for the overall quality of the line but mine was sure a gem.

The real bridge is a good thing imo.

9. stratotonedude

stratotonedude Senior Member

I haven't liked any of the reissues as much as I like my early sixties single cutaway dolphin nose headstock Danelectro-made Silvertones. I actually prefer the cork bridge.

10. Dom

Dom Member

I bought a cute little baby-blue korean 56 Pro on eBay yesterday - always wanted one wanted one of these.

Haven't played or even seen it yet, but I'm already thinking about upgrades... :NUTS ...
    I'll probably get new pots, a bone nut and do some fretwork if required.

Any other ideas?
    Who makes the best bang-for-the-buck lipstick PUs? Are the tuners worth keeping?

11. mvsr990

Dano Pro arrived today - I'm loving it so far. Comfortable chunky neck, no sharp frets, no buzzing, tuners seem a little imprecise but hold tune, and it's so much fun to play (or in my case 'play').

Acoustically, loud and pleasing - guess that's the hard masonite top and hollow interior working together.

12. blood5150

blood5150 Member

I may pick up one of their new baritone guitars...