Thoughts on the louis electric kr12....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by codyj84, May 9, 2008.

1. codyj84

codyj84 Member

Thinkin of trading my TR Jet for one. Tired of the head/cab and want to go combo...

I know I can get a "Jumbo Jet" kit and turn the TR into a combo, but I'm toying with the idea of the kr12, as it seems to be a killer amp, and I like to try new things.

Do you guys that know the kr12 think it would be a good trade???

thanks!
    cody

2. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

Very different amps. The Louis electric KR12 is definitely going to be more tweed, but it is also able to get a lot of marshall gain. It's a great sounding amp. I played one at Make n' Music in Chicago. I have not played the jet but heard it is somewhat derived from the CR Sig which I have played. The CR sig was definitely more dumbley cleans and the overdrive channel was also more geared towards the blues/fusion type stuff.

Versatility for rock, pop, blues, and hard rock I would say Louis Electric.

For the more jazz/fusion side of blues and rock I might go with the Jet.

Both are phenomenal amps though, and it's always hard when someone says it but you can't go wrong either way.

3. davebc

davebc Member

I own a KR12 and a KR10-12.(a Louis Breaker, and a Gattone on route),
    For my taste/feel, Lou's amps are unequivically the richest sounding, most versatile I've ever heard/used/owned in near 40 years of playing.
    Amazing cleans with a grand piano bang. Sonically, they easily nail the best tweed Twin tones you've ever imagined to paint peeling plexi and everything in between on the dial.
    Harmonic feedback and note bloom are effortless, as is the best singing sustain, whether clean or dirty, obcenely rich sounding.
    I don't know how he does it, incredible mojo.
    Check out his forum, give him a call.
    My favorite amps of all time, inspirational to play. For me a gift from God. :dude

4. Blueser

Blueser Member

So what you're saying here is that, uh....you like them? :AOK

Great sounding amps for sure!

5. Peppy

Peppy Member

The clip on the Louis site then doesn't do this amp justice...no real Marshall or tweed sound is highlighted.

6. mude

mude Supporting Member

I love the Louis KR12. Killer amp. The 1x12 combo sound huge with a big bottom for a small combo. Definitely worth a try if you can find one.

Evan.

7. davebc

davebc Member

Lou knows he needs to update his clips. He's just so friggin busy on the creaitive end. He just finished designing a output trannys built which he says will provide serious "bark".

That being said, the clip on the site gives just a very small indication of what the amp is capable of. In that case playing straight into the Normal channel, set clean, producing one of the the purest old school Jimmy Vaughn blues tones you'll hear. Now, factor in there is the Gain channel, two additional gain stages via the quarter inch jack(or footswitch), the Master Volume, and a negative feedback trim pot.

Lou's amps are friggin time machines!

If my DC-30 is about the big twang. Lou's amps are about the big BANG.
    I'm telling you when I heard and felt the percussive bang in the tone of Lou's amps I was completely takin back. I was like "WTF!" I've never heard an amp do that.
    You can really feel these amps, like you feel your favorite ax, and they respond like an instrument to every nuanace of you playing.

Every other amp I own has been collecting dust since my first Louis amp took up residence.., can't wait to dig my chops into the Gattone, a 40 watt V-Panel with 2-10's at 4 ohms, porthole speakers and all the fixings.
    Lou said, "If Stevie Ray were alive today, he would buy this amp." and he wasn't kidding. I just heard it over the phone and crapped my pants(I'm practicing for my senior years).
    SRV on steroids.
    O.K. so I'm a little bias.

Doesn't the Jet come in a combo?

8. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

Very, very cool amp. Can make a Strat FAT! I sad before if I had to cut heads with the Devil, this is the amp I'd bring:dude

9. davebc

davebc Member

What a great line, couldn't have put it better. :dude

10. clarkram

clarkram Member

I've had a KR12 head for a couple of months and it is my current favorite for fun or gigs.

I have a number of nice amps (Constellation, Tone King, D13 rsa 31) and they are all lying dormant. The KR is that nice(to my ears).