Thoughts on the Marshall JMP-1?

pfrischmann

Hi Guys,
As You can see from my previous posts, I'm researching preamps. I'm a Marshall tone guy for sure but I need something quieter and more versatile than my 12 series 1959 clone and more Marshall than by Bogner 101B (quieter too). Really don't want to go all the way to a 3+se or a Fish. I just don't want to spend that kind of money.

On paper, the JMP-1 seems like a good idea but I've never head a demo that sounds good. For the most part, the demos I her seem to sound small, fizzy and thin, more like a pedal.

Are there good tones to be had here?

Mario C.

You can definitely dial some cool tones with a JMP-1, OD 1 sounds great, the cleans are usable too, OD 2 is a bit midrangey and noisy for me but still usable, I like the parallel effects loop, overall it's a good preamp considering the second hand price.

I've read it's more of a solid state preamp with tubes (don't quote me on that) it feels stiffer than a tube Marshall for sure but I still use mine a lot. Best way to know if it's for you is to play one if you can.

I'm looking for a way to mod OD 2 to reduce the noise.

pfrischmann

Thanks Mario,
I had heard the same thing, It's more of a solid state preamp with tubes. It's not easy to try one these days.

TheDentist

It's not a bad pre after all.
Bass shift sucks, but if you keep it off all the time it's not a problem.
The power amp you pair it with is crucial. Good choices are Marshall 9*00 series and mesa 20/20. Marshall 20:20 sucks imo.

May I suggest you to consider Hughes & Kettner Access instead? It's really a forgotten gem!

tazzboy

Silver Supporting Member
You could get a JMP-1 on the cheap side and have Trace Allen at Voodoo Amps modify for you. If you want to go that route.

pfrischmann

Trace Doesn't mod Jmp-1's any more. I've heard mixed reviews on that mod. Some say it's an amazing change, some say it makes a minor difference at best and it's like a $900 mod.

Sardocasm

cupcakes
It's a very flexible preamp that can sound quite great when paired with a properly powerful poweramp. I ran mine with a Mesa Strategy 500 and it was a force.

Sloppyfingers

Maybe i had the wrong power amp when I owned my JMP-1, but I got rid of mine when modellers started taking over.
I found my JMP-1 was lacking..Correct me f I'm wrong on this, but I felt that the JMP-1 was almost a forerunner to current digital modellers..The bridge between sans amps and what what we see today. I had a Valvestate 8008 stereo power amp running mine, but maybe I would of been more satisfied with my sound had I ran it with a tube power amp...At the time, I felt I was dialing in better tones from my Pod HD500 when that unit first came out, so I sold off my circa 1995 jmp-1 ..Shoot me now.

Last edited:
Maybe i had the wrong power amp when I owned my JMP-1, but I got rid of mine when modellers started taking over.
I found my JMP-1 was lacking..Correct me f I'm wrong on this, but I felt that the JMP-1 was almost a forerunner to current digital modellers..The bridge between sans amps and what what we see today. I had a Valvestate 8008 stereo power amp running mine, but maybe I would of been more satisfied with my sound had I ran it with a tube power amp...At the time, I felt I was dialing in better tones from my Pod HD500 when that unit first came out, so I sold it off my circa 1995 jmp-1 ..Shoot me now.

I won't shoot you... but... honestly... you sold an analog Marshall because a digital modeller sounded as a better Marshall than the real thing?

And... no... SansAmp is not a modeller.

Ryan P.

I'm surprised you're so vehemently, and baselessly, anti-modeler, Italo. One would think that you, of all people, with all your experience in digital effect programming, would see that guitar amplification is just another effect and can be accurately modeled.

Sloppyfingers

I won't shoot you... but... honestly... you sold an analog Marshall because a digital modeller sounded as a better Marshall than the real thing?

And... no... SansAmp is not a modeller.

Yup that's right..My JMP-1 didn't wow me...My pod HD500 sounded better IMO, and I ultimately ditched the HD500.Who cares if the JMP-1 was Marshall branded..1991 vs 2008 Technology I suppose.The JMP-1 came about during that awkward transformation era, and wasn't it a sort of mish mash of early digital, SS with that one tube thrown in there?.Regardless, Marshall discontinued it after about 5 years +/-anyways. Now I'm using analogue tube pre amp pedals, and couldn't be happier..

Last edited:

Maltese Fan

Dude from the Deftones was using them when I was with a documentary crew during the '99 Ozzfest.
Sounded huge.

Serious Poo