Thoughts on the PRRI.......

SenorHefty

I play a CS 2012 custom deluxe strat > timmy > cc > PRRI. I am a living room player, of modest ability, and I never turn up beyond 5 on the volume knob. I just want to add my 2 cents about this oft-discussed amp. I believe that if the PRRI cost twice as much as it does, was made by a boutique shop, and was hand wired PTP, the sages would rave about its gorgeous cleans. The fact that it is so commonplace, I think, reduces the cache it would otherwise have. IMHO, it represents fantastic bang for the buck. I consider it one of my best purchases. Any thoughts?

The Whiz

I don't own one but I have tried them in the store and I agree. It's a sweet sounding amp. I might get one.

Spoonful

Love mine. When I first started playing guitar back in the 60's, I started out on a blackface Princeton. Sounded good then and the PRRI I own now actually sounds better than the original, as best as can I recall. Fender has done a fantastic job with the RI.

Mine is an ugly orange and white limited edition, but I really don't care what it looks like when it sounds this good. Yep, its like the perfect practice amp. Can't think of any sacrifices you have to make with this one. Wish I could say that about the other dozen or so practice amps I went through before I tired the Princeton again.

SenorHefty

Another big positive is its simplicity of operation. It's pretty much idiot proof. [And yes, I did misspell "cachet"].

Love mine. I've said this for a while now but there's a lot of really good "pedestrian" gear these days and this amp is one of them. Looks great and sounds incredible.

sg7964

Been through a ton of amps, the PRRI is the only one that I never sell. In fact, I have 2 of them, one a limited edition. Sometimes a new amp comes along and it's cool for awhile, but then it's gone after a few weeks. The Princeton never leaves.

VJF

I own a '66 PR and a '68 DR and for the low volume clean playing levels that you describe I find the DR to sound larger and more open.

Now playing loud the PR really gives it up!

dleuen

I agree 100%. PRRI is a wonderful amp that sounds great at low volume and amazing when cranked. Great with both humbucker and single coil guitars.

pbmw

I've played a couple reissues. I have a 76 SFPR. I like the original a littel better myself. But I think Fender did one heck of a job with the reissue.

awp

I managed to snag my PRRI about 18months ago at a great price. Definitely the best money I've ever spent on gear. I just love the sound of my strat straight in. Sounds great in my living room, sounds great in jam sessions. Mine is completely stock with the exception of a TungSol 12ax7 in the V1.

Roe

I've gigged one, finding it to be quite ok. but it doesn't compare well to a twin reverb imho

SenorHefty

How can you compare a 15 watt amp with a 10" speaker to an 85 watt monster with two 12"s for a gig? The Twin is a wonderful amp, but it serves a completely different purpose than a Princeton.

mtperry85

I picked up my 65 PRRI last year for practicing and low volume jamming. If you don't need the volume past 5, and like pedals for OD, it is fantastic. Most people that dislike this amp are pushing it out of this comfort zone and then griping about cabinet buzz and flabby low end.

Badfrog

I have one and love it. I keep mine in the livingroom and I keep a Vintage Sound 15 in my music room. With the original speaker they are great for playing at home because they don't get quite so loud at 3 or 4 on the volume knob. An they like a lot of the OD pedals you will throw in front of them. I really love mine with an Analogman Prince of Tone.

In order to maximize mine, I let the speaker get broken in, biased the amp to a warmer level, changed out the reverb driver tube (really makes the reverb knob more usuable) and put in a TungSol 12AX7 in the first slot. It only cost me about $28 to take the amp a notch higher.

I'm not sure that it's an excellent deal at $950 but Musician's Friend has a 15% off deal every other month and there are plenty of used PRRIs available and I think those options bring the price more in line with what it should be IMO.

TheBuffalo

Gold Supporting Member
They're good deals if you get them used, new? Not so much when you can get a great silverface for not much more. But I've seen the prri go for like 500-600 THATs a good deal.

I think the prri is the closest reissue to the actual amp out of all fenders reissues. But they're still not as good imo

Roe

How can you compare a 15 watt amp with a 10" speaker to an 85 watt monster with two 12"s for a gig? The Twin is a wonderful amp, but it serves a completely different purpose than a Princeton.
yes, I guess you're right.

LJD

I agree. I put a 40w speaker in mine and it's loud enough to play with a drummer with the volume on about 4.75. Cut's right through. Fantastic sweet spot.