Thoughts on this 70s 1960A Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Leveraged Sellout, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Leveraged Sellout

Leveraged Sellout Member

http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/4899400593.html

Saw it for sale locally, but am not sure whether its a good deal. I don't know much about vintage cabinets or speakers but aren't the pre-rola's in this cab what everyone raves about?

Appreciate any advice/guidance as I'd like to purchase it but am not sure what to look for.

Thanks in advance

2. cardinal

cardinal Member

Those are not pre-Rolas because they say "Rola" on them. The date code you can see is from 1979. If one of the cones is torn, that'll need fixing obviously. Cosmetic condition is pretty rough. Looks like no casters. I'd say that's about the right price for that cab.

The really valuable Marshall cabs are from 1970 and earlier, and the cabs up around 1973 can still be valuable. Collectors haven't started going nuts over the late '70s stuff yet.

3. Leveraged Sellout

Leveraged Sellout Member

Thanks a lot! That's really helpful!

4. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

I'd buy that cab in a heartbeat. G12M-25 blackbacks are killer sounding speakers for hard rock. An SLO through blackbacks is bone crushing.

5. Monstercastle

Monstercastle Supporting Member

I guess my view of "good condition" is substantially different.

6. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

don't walk to buy that cab late 70's BB are great speakers. 420 is a fair price. The speakers bring 120-175 and the cab is a bounus. you'd pay 420 for a JCM900 with G12t75

7. Leveraged Sellout

Leveraged Sellout Member

Thanks for all the comments, i ended up backing out because cab itself has clearly been put through the paces

Given my lack of ability to fix/repair things, i opted to just go the new cab route

8. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

IMHO there is nothing to repair there. A that thing reeks of awesomeness. I would leave it as is and enjoy the fact that it is worn in and you do not need to worry about it at all. I wish I lived closer.

9. telewacker

telewacker Member

Yeah thats an awesome cab. A new cab can't touch it for tone. Great price. Easy to repair a small cone tear with Elmers glue and single ply of paper towel on both sides. Like they say Blackbacks are great speakers.

10. cardinal

cardinal Member

Yeah I'll say it's a good players' cab. The condition of the cabinet itself is fine as long as it's not falling apart. The speaker tear is repairable, and otherwise those are nice speakers.

It's a good opportunity to get something like that for not much bank, but it's not something you should expect to flip for more money or even that quickly for the same price. It's the right price IMHO for what it is, which is a cool can that should sound pretty good with a little TLC.

11. custom53

custom53 Member

Personally I think that is a Great price on that Cabinet.. Yeah, it does have some "character" but that doesn't bother the tone one bit. I have a 1977 100 watt Greenback 4x12 Cab, and no way would I let it go for that amount.. I think you missed out on a really great Cabinet and Deal..

[​IMG]