1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Weber 30w alnico blue dogs vs. Celestion Blues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ridecat, Oct 4, 2006.

1. ridecat

ridecat Member

Need to buy speakers for a soon-to-arrive 2x12 cab that will be used with an AC-30 head. Can't decide if I should spend the extra $150 to buy two Celestion blues or just go with the Webers. What do you think?

2. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

Spend the extra $150. If it were any other amp than an AC30 you might think otherwise. I think the blues are well worth the extra $$$ with EL84 amps.

YMMV

<M

3. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

+1 on the Celestion Blues, they're all I use now, and I'm budget minded.

4. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

You do know that a Celestion Blue is 15w, and the Weber is 30w, right? Just making sure that was understood before doing any sort of comparison. I'd personally go with a couple tubbies in that setup, but if not tubbies, then I'd go for some Celestion Blues...perhaps vintage if you're going to spend that amount.

5. ridecat

ridecat Member

Yes, I know the Celestion blues are 15 watt. The 30 watt webers are supposed to sound the closest to the blues. My local AC30 guru prefers the webers to new celestion blues, so I'm not sure which way to go, but lean towards the blues.

6. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

As an option Vox sells the AC30CC2X with blues. I don't think they would offer them if the speakers couldn't handle the amp. I use one in a 1X12 Matchless Lightning and one in my Tweed Deluxe clone with no problems. And I crank them (the other guitar player in my band uses a JCM 800).

7. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

Love the webers!!!! However I've never compared them side by side to the Celestions......I can tell you that the webers with my Hayseed(ac-30 clone) are heaven. I would guess you can't go wrong with either.

8. Blueser

Blueser Member

I know that tone is subjecetive, but I don't think the Webers sound anything like a real Blue. I would just get the original. The difference is around $100, and priceless peace of mind.

9. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Wasn't insinuating that at all. 2 15W speakers in a 30w amp work wonderfully...that's how they've always come in the past.

10. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Actually, the Weber Blue Dog comes in three wattage choices: 15, 30, and 50. The Weber 15w Blue Dog is closest to the original Celestion Blue.

- T

11. Zelmo

Zelmo Member

If you go with the Blues and don't like them, you could probably sell them fast and get most of your dough back.

12. 8nthatK

8nthatK Supporting Member

I didn't get along with the Bluedog 30watt, but the SilverBell 30watt is great for me.
    I like the Celestion Blues a lot but I actually like the Webers more for general use. They don't sound just alike IMO, the Webers have less treble content with a bit different mids, they still can bark though. The Blues I would say are perhaps a bit more complex, butthe difference was negligible on stage.The Webers have a tighter bottom at stage volume then the blues. I would still use the Celestions for some amps, I dug them more with a Dr Z MAZ38 then the Webers. Everything else I prefer the Webers to the Blues. The break-in period I found to be roughly the same. I also found the Blues to be a little louder, or efficient I should say.
    Personal taste is just that though...you may hear it just the opposite.

-K

13. 6ringing

6ringing Member

I used the Celestion Blues exclusively for the past several years. Then I got sick of them. They are very bright and have a severe high-mid spike that the original 60s blues didn't have. When cranking your amp they can be a little too much. They're actually kind of a modernized blue, updated a bit for a new sound. I just got a Weber blue (30w no doping) and it sounds much more like an original. Big fat broad midrange and more warm and pleasant. That extreme hi-mid spike on the celestions did a lot of ear damage to me. But I didn't know any better for years!

If you want bright and jangley and will play mostly clean, go with the celestions. If you want more of the old mellower sound, go with the webers. Also, the higher the wattage rating the warmer the speaker is (when comparing different ratings of the same speaker), just something to keep in mind. The 30w with no doping (or light doping) is real close to the original.

Also be careful with the celestion blues, some of them have been arriving with loose magnet covers that rattle when you play.

14. ridecat

ridecat Member

Thanks, guys, I really appreciate all of the feedback! Maybe I should try a mix of one Blue Dog and one Cele Blue...

15. saurudi

saurudi Member

Guys,

Well, i plan to get 2 bulldogs too that i will put into a mojotone bluesbreaker extension ( open back ) .
    i´ve got a demeter tga 2,1 that is rated about 50 watts but is more of 37 when fully cranked.
    so would the blues handle the power or blow up on me and NO i don´t want to crank it .
    i also got a triode/pentode switch which puts the amp to about 17 - 20 watts

16. 6ringing

6ringing Member

You might get away with 3 cele. blues in that rig if kept low. Obviously not if you play it full-out.

17. CapCoconut

CapCoconut Member

If you pony up the extra cash for the Celestion Blues, you will never regret it. I have learned that the biggest waste of money for me is to spend my hard earned money on something that isn't what I really want. I have WASTED more money when trying to SAVE a little bit.

Having said that, unless you are totally obsessive when it comes to tone (highly likely) its important to remember you will never A/B them live. Also, if you buy new Celestion Blues they arent going to sound like Blues for a while.

Don't let name and reputation decide how you spend your money. I love the Eminence 1028k....which I know gets no love and will brand me as a tone-neanderthal. But I love there nasty, upper mid bark. Only a BROKEN in Celestion Blue sounds better to me.

I also have a cab with Red Fangs, which are supposed to be Eminence's version of the Blue. To me they are much smoother, or creamier with less chime and sparkle. Which isnt a bad thing, just a different thing. I get more of what I think of as a vintage British tone.

Seriously, you are going to get to really good tone out of any of these choices, its all down to individual taste.

Good luck

18. guit_lar

guit_lar Member

My take...The Weber is really good, the Celestion is Great. The Weber is "Hey that sounds really good", the Celestion is "OMG!". Based on experience with Tweed Deluxe and JTM45 FWIW.

19. The Kid

The Kid Member

I own and use both. Get the Blue for your application.

20. jerrydyer

jerrydyer Member

dont under estimate them webers. I love them.