Thoughts (possibly no more than thoughts) 56 Gretsch Duo Jet or early 60s Epi Coronet

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by Mobass, May 23, 2020.

1. Mobass

Mobass Silver Supporting Member

Completely different animal's granted. But two of my favorites. Prefer the pre 57 D. Jets for the killer Dearmond singles and the 62 Coronets for the 3 on a side tuners and substantial neck profile. Any comments welcome. I've been around while and know guitars. I know most of these examples are to some way over valued and priced. I get it. So limit the negative opinions based on that it you will.

2. WordMan

WordMan Silver Supporting Member

Wouldn’t, on average, the neck joint of the Coronet likely be more stable? I had a ‘55 Country Club; I came to realize that the neck joints on original Gretsches are all over the place in terms of stability.

Mobass likes this.
  3. Mobass

Mobass Silver Supporting Member

I've heard the same thing Wordman. Mainly with the larger bodied Gents.

WordMan likes this.
  4. slimdave

slimdave Member

Duojets are probably not as good built as early 60s Epis, but they are killer guitars.
    Duojets are hollow and Coronets are solid body. Duojets are more like a fat tele, while Epiphones are more like a LP special. Both great guitars, but they are different, depends on what you’re looking for.

smiert spionam and Mobass like this.
  5. Highnumbers

Highnumbers Member

Assuming they are both in good condition, I’d go with the DuoJet without hesitation.

The early Dynasonic single coils in pre-58 Gretsch guitars are excellent, really great versatile tone and both positions on a DuoJet are useful tones. IMO it’s more versatile than the Epiphone.

They don’t all have bad neck angles, it’s just something to look for when buying.

6. Blauserk

Blauserk Silver Supporting Member

I agree with Slimdave that the build quality on Gretsches is not as good for Epis. I think it's important to either try before you buy with vintage Gretsches, or to trust the dealer, but boy, I love the vintage Duo Jet sound. DeArmond pickups are underrated for blues in my opinion.

I had a '58 Gretsch that was just supernaturally good sounding. Wouldn't be surprised if it had been renecked--it had the thumbnail inlays but DeArmond pickups and two serial-number stickers. (The top was right for '58; but there was an old-style sticker underneath I couldn't read.) Damn, I miss that guitar.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. slimdave

slimdave Member

My main player is a 56 duojet. Love that thing. It ain’t well built or ergonomic, but damn does it sound good. So yes, I’m partial to duojets.

Bob Pollock and Blauserk like this.
  8. Blauserk

Blauserk Silver Supporting Member

Wildwood always charges a signficant premium, particularly on vintage stuff, but I trust them. They have two '54s, including a "Scripty." Easy on the eyes--and because they have demo videos, also easy on the ears.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bob Pollock likes this.
  9. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

Was '54 a transition year?

10. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Supporting Member

With Gretsch, most years are transition years.

;)

The script logo was indeed fairly short-lived -- but awfully purty!

Blauserk and WordMan like this.