Three CS Nocasters

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rotten, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

Finally had a free afternoon to run my three Nocasters through their paces. All great guitars built in 2006 and all purchased through fine transactions here on TGP.

The black one is a Heavy Relic, which I've owned for about 4-5 years now. Unplugged, it shakes your shoulder; real resonant. Plugged in, it sounds more acoustic than the other two and has a bit darker, nastier sound.

The surf green one with the rosewood board feels the best. Seems to excel at cleaner sounds and has a nice round tone, but with the Tele bite when you dig in.

My newest is a very light NOS in blonde. It's got a slightly thinner neck than the other two and really excels at that spank that Teles are know for.

Man I love them Nocasters!

[​IMG]

2. goodwater

goodwater Member

recently got a Nocaster as part of a trade and it's by far the best tele that I've ever played---initially didn't plan on keeping it but then I made the mistake of playing it

3. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

Nice guitars. Enjoy. I have two from 2006 and enjoy the subtle differences.
    How do you find the rosewood board compared to maple?
    Are the blend circuits in any of them still intact?
    Do you like the vintage frets and the round fretboard?

4. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

beautiful instruments....please excuse my ignorance but what isdifferent about a NoCaster? I know the pickups, but is that it? And, how different are they?

Thanks for the pics and info

5. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

I love mine too... Actually like it better than the '55 I have. It's a '10 relic... Lightly aged, very resonant. It also plays better than most any guitar I own. A true masterpiece.

[​IMG]

6. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

They are in a league of their own. VERY nice!

7. JiMB

JiMB Member

Nice collection!
    I have an '09 relic.

8. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

9. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

YNH, all vintage or does yours have the flatter radius and bigger fret?

10. FXPedal.com

FXPedal.com Member

West LA Music had a heavy relic a few years back. Going down the line of guitars hanging on the wall, plucking the low E with my thumbnail as I strolled, the Nocaster boomed. It was easily twice as loud as any of the other Strats and Teles on that wall. Picked it up and played it through a Marshall 1974x and fell in love. And then I saw the price - $5100 - just couldn't do it.

Been regretting that ever since.

11. John_McEnroe

John_McEnroe Member

I just got a Nocaster. Dakota Red. Best guitar I have ever owned, the neck is amazing and the sound is just incredible. Honestly this is probably the only guitar I will ever need. Haven't played my jazz master since I got it.

12. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

Probably the closest guitar would be a Broadcaster (even the re-issues of the Broadcasters are pretty rare.) Fender had to remove the "Broadcaster" because chicks don't like being called broads:rotflmao- actually because Gretsch had drums called Broadkasters and asked Fender to stop using the name. Fender clipped out the Broadcaster name from the logos. They both share fairly large necks - generally larger than when they started to use the Telecaster name. The neck and pickups are the biggest difference between these and other models.

13. Rotten

Thanks. As far as I can tell, they all have 9.5 radius boards. they also have modern wiring. The black one has big huge frets and the other two have thinner, more traditional frets. I find it harder to bend the high E string on the other two, but I don't know if that's the fat frets or the set up quite yet. I play with .10s so I like some push back.

The effect of the rosewood, best I can tell, is to slightly mellow out the sound. On the good side, you don't get that ice pick. However, it might compromise the glassy sound of the maples. However, the guy who I bought the surf green one had the custom shop put in a Broadcaster PU rather than a Nocaster PU. It seems to be a more polite pickup and that might affect my perception of the fingerboard.

My biggest surprise was the differences is the necks. I thought Fender CNCd all of the necks so that they were consistant at a high tolerance. The black one has a sharper U than the green one, but they are both about 1" at the first fret. The blonde is about .97" at the first fret. Not much, but makes it feel different.

14. Wombat

Wombat Supporting Member

Very nice! I've got a Wildwood Nocaster and a Fender 54 CS Tele that has a Nocaster neck. Both guitars are fantastic. I love the rosewood Nocaster in your pic... fairly rare to see one in rosewood I would think

15. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I have a Dave's Guitar special order '52 Tele Relic that is all Nocaster specs sans the neck pocket lip.
    It's an '06 as well and for a while I had another, also an '06, at the same time.

It was nice to have a pair and both are great examples. I believe Nocasters are the best Fender's done in their history.

Thinking of it I have played many '06 CS Fenders that really stood out including Strats.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  16. Peppy

Peppy Member

Great looking Ampeg.

17. Butterscotch

Butterscotch Member

Here are my two. The blonde is '98, a Cunetto, and has modern wiring, the copper is circa '05, and it has the blend wiring. I also have a CS Broadcaster that has blend wiring too.

[​IMG]

18. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Hmmm "Nocaster" with a RW board?

Fender is getting a little cute with this Nocaster thing.

It's a freaking TELECASTER!

Nice collection btw!

19. Rotten

I didn't name it, they did. Still, I'm not concerned about what they call it. I just love those Nocaster specs.

20. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

The original premise was for a Telecaster from the era when Gretsch took objection to the 'Broadcaster' name being used by Fender. Gretsch already had the 'Broadkaster' drum set and considered Fender to be breaching copyright. I guess you know all that

The differences are in the details; the router 'hump' being one, plugged router registration holes are another. The 'paint can' circle beneath the scratchplate is another. The decal which reads 'Fender' without the 'Telecaster' model designation is the biggest obvious giveaway.