Three Fuzzes To Change My World!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AllmanFan, Feb 12, 2012.

1. AllmanFan

AllmanFan Silver Supporting Member

I have come into a position where I am ready to spend some decent change on a couple of fuzz boxes. I am a huge Hendrix/Allman/Ford/Robinson fan and all of which used a fuzz either for a time or during the majority of their careers. I have since decided I need to search and really experiment in the world of Fuzz to see what I'm missing. I am an OD nut but being I now have a Fuchs ODS my OD needs have been sufficed by the pedals I have and the OD abilities of my amp.

No a little about my experience and rig. I am moving into a strat only setup with a soon NGD on a American Strat w/ Vintage Noiseless pickups. I also have a Jimmy Herring copy strat with a SD Jazz in the neck and a SD JB 36th anniversary in the bridge. I have tried a 69 Fulltone a while back while I was trying to get the best I could find to satisfy my fuzzy desires. Needless to say, I managed to pick up a bad one and really disliked what I could do with it.

So here we go...recommend me three fuzzy monsters for me to play with and why they are different. I am already looking at a Roger Mayer Stone Grey, Mojo Hand Collossus, and a EQD Hoof. Give me some examples and recommendations for three great fuzzes for me to sink my teeth into. Thanks.

2. Painasusual

Painasusual Member

Foxrox Hot Silicon (a righteous silicon fuzzface)
    Way Huge Swollen Pickle mk II (versatile muff)
    Skinpimp MK II (tonebender)

3. FuzzGazer

FuzzGazer Member

If you are willing to spend some dough, go vintage:

DA FuzzFace

Vox ToneBender MKII

Triangle BMP

4. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

Get a fuzz face of some sort. Actually, get the red one and the Hendrix one

5. WickedSailor

WickedSailor Member

can attest to the earthquaker devices hoof fuzz.

6. Zounds Perspex

Zounds Perspex Supporting Member

germaniun FuzzFace - Analogman Sunface
    silicon FuzzFace - Eurhythmia Crucible Fuzz Si
    Tonebender - Creepy Fingers Magnabender MK II
    Big Muff - Wren & Cuff Box Of War or Tall Font Russion or Skinpimp Buzzaround (a similar circuit that's definitely Muff-esque)
    not sure if you'd be into a Superfuzz, but the Wattson is my favorite with brighter amps.

7. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Trombetta Mini-Bone (actually just this pedal would be enough)
    Basic Audio Tri-Ram (super muff)
    Elite Tone Fuzz Monster 2 (on sale now 2-in-1 fuzz face)

8. AllmanFan

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I'm definetely looking at the AM Sunface and a Tonebender clone of some sort. I would look at vintage gear but I'm worried the amount of customer support would be limited if something was to go wrong. I have some experiences fixing stuff but breaking into a $500 Tonebender is not my idea of a good "experiment".

9. Pythonman

Pythonman Member

Tonebenders are good, Fulltone Soulbender IIs suck! Be forewarned. I can recommend the early large box Soulbender and my current fave, the ThroBak Stonebender. I would also check out Prescription Electronics' Yardbox. All of these for the MKIII sounds.

I just yesterday recieved my Dunlop JH-1 Fuzz Face (the blue Hendrix version from Amazon.com of all places) and playing around with it, my '61 Thin Skin Stratocaster and my JCM800 2204 I quickly found a whole range of very sweet KILLER fuzz flavors to use. For good reason this pedal has been placed in the same catagory as some very boutique builds.

10. FuzzGazer

FuzzGazer Member

These vary, mine is excellent.

11. AllmanFan

The JH-1 is a silicon fuzz face isn't it? I know most of the fuzz faces from Dunlop are Germanium, or so I read. How does the Jimi Fuzz Face clean up with the volume pot compared to the germanium FFs?

12. FuzzGazer

FuzzGazer Member

I have both and I like the Si better TBH, purely for consistency. The Germ sounds really great with the Fuzz maxed and guitar volume maxed, but I don't like the tonal stamp it gives me when I roll back the volume. Also, just like any Germ fuzz any dialing that you do pre-gig is completely worthless.

13. br91

br91 Member

Pharaoh Fuzz- muffy sound, mixes good

Black Forest- Colorsound into fuzziness, 6 way knob

then for a monster fuzz, I will guess a Wampler Leviathan

Skreddy Lunar Module, Klinger Buzz Fuzz, and Fryette SAS are good bets too

for experimental, Crystal Dagger with ring distortion

14. Pythonman

Pythonman Member

My JH-1 cleans up a lot just going from 10 to 9 on the guitar volume. I have the fuzz and vol of the pedal set so that when I roll the guitar vol. down to between 7-8 the guitar tone is just about as perfect sparkly Strat clean as it would be with the pedal off and the guitar vol. on 10. Play around with it and you can get extremely close. My StoneBender cleans up pretty awesomely too but it's kind of a low end weak pedal IMO. I think the new Soulbender would have worked out better for me if it still had the internal trim pot so I could adjust the veracity of the fuzz from smooth to the bombastic. The one I had seemed hardwired for the bombastic variety and using my Telecaster with it and having the fuzz set to the minimum setting I was still getting a bit too much fuzz to do any Yardbirds or early Zep I. With my Les Pauls, forget it. It was waaay too fuzzed out at any setting to be of any use whatsoever. My two early big box Soulbenders were very sweet, tameable and useable through nearly the whole range of the fuzz control. I sent the newer one back for a full refund. But I can see if it was tuned right how someone might like theirs better.

15. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

Skinpimp Skinbender M3, Skreddy Lunar Module, and one of the best germanium fuzz face style fuzzes I ever owned was an M.I. Audio Neo Fuzz.

16. playthecray

playthecray Supporting Member

PTD Mini Bone (will rock your world)
    Monsterpiece Ge Fuzz (with voice switch)
    Analogman Astrotone(extremely usable)

I am awaiting a SUF Civil War, so the verdict is still out on this one.

17. justonwo

justonwo Member

Fuzz Face - Analogman Sunface NKT275 with sundial is a must.
    Tonebender MKII or MKIII - Skinpimp's are excellent. I personally preferred the MKIII.

Shin Ei Superfuzz - A little more out there in the extreme, but very cool nonetheless. Creepy Fingers Harakiri is an excellent recreation.

EQD Hoof - I have one and love it. Extremely versatile muff variant. I cannot overemphasize how versatile this pedal is.

Ram's Head Muff - I guess these are sometimes classified as distortion. I don't know. They are near the top of my list of favorite pedals of all time. The Ram's Head is a great version. Triangle may be also be a good option for you. In either case, you will not find a muff recreation that can top those being made by Stomp Under Foot (I don't say this lightly).

18. stratguy23

stratguy23 Member

I second this. I have 2 of the three mentioned (still need to get a Vox Tonebender). Only problem with vintage Fuzz Faces and Muffs is that they can be very inconsistent, i.e. some are great, some are not as awesome. Analogman makes the Sunface which I have heard is a great Fuzz Face clone. I highly recommend anything made by David Main (D*A*M) or John Lyons (Basic Audio). The D*A*M Forum really has a wealth of fuzzy knowledge and a bunch of great builders. Once you start down the path of fuzz, it gets expensive, but it is a fun adventure.

19. justnick

justnick Gold Supporting Member

Lot's of great choices mentioned. I really like the full line of Earthquaker fuzzes...

20. Guitarbrett

Guitarbrett Supporting Member

I have had several great fuzz faces, and the JH-F1 is my favorite. Warm, cleans up great. I would not change a thing about it. I recently picked up a Mojo Hand Colossus that is a great civil war muff clone with a mids knob and voicing 3 way switch. It performed very well for a nice heavier, deeper fuzz for me this weekend.