Three guitars, what do i need to know 'bout them?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Loki, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Loki

Loki Member

Good morning,

during the upcoming weeks i will have the chance to test my three left-over acoustic guitar choices. I was looking for a balanced tone for finger-picking and a little strumming. A pickup system was no "must need".

Candidates:

1. Cole Clark FL 2 (Sitka / Rosewood)
    2. Martin D-18 (Sitka / Mahogany)
    3. Martin OM-21 (Sitka / Rosewood)
    So i don't know that much 'bout the different guitars. Are there any things i need to know before playing them?

2. WrapAround

WrapAround Member

I almost think you 'd be better of not "knowing" anything about guitars you are going to try. People say this and that, and for the most part they don't mean much other than to give you some sort of pre conceived notion. Good luck with finding the one that you connect with. :)

3. royd

royd Member

just play them and see which one speaks to you.

4. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

The OM and D-18 sound quite different from each other. Shouldn't be hard to decide.

5. EL 34 X2

EL 34 X2 Member

I agree with the first two posts. Best you can get from us is general statements about specific guitars we've played but you'll never touch. That wouldn't be very pertinent to the individual guitars you listed. Play each and follow your instincts.

6. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

Never played a Cole Clark, for your intended use, it would be hard to beat the OM-21. But then, it is one of my favorite Martins.

7. royd

royd Member

the bottom line is that we all hear things differently. Common wisdom says go with an OM for fingerstyle yet Michael Hedges' primary guitar was a D28. John Fahey likewise preferred a D. Also common wisdom says smaller guitars are better for fingerstyle yet Lowden O's are very large and one of the most popular fingerstyle guitars out there. Cole Clark is known for their pickup system, not for their acoustic sound... but it may be exactly the sound you hear in your fantasy.

All three are decent guitars. They are very different. One may speak to you. If so, buy it. If not, keep looking as there are scores of others that are just as different or more so than these three.