three-note-per-string frustration.

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Birddog, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Birddog

Birddog Member

I am admittedly not a shredder, but am constantly trying to improve technique and learn different approaches.

Lately I've been recording a couple of new songs in which I try to incorporate three-note-per-string runs and the faster runs just seem muddy to me. I do play wet, with a lot of delay, but even with no effect I find that I'm blurring the notes much more than what I'm hearing in my head. The transitions from string to string are fine, but going from, say, E to D to C on one string, they just sound like crap. Any tips? Should I try to accentuate the center note? These are mostly pull-offs. Should I try speed-picking my way down? I'm curious to see what some of you experts say. There's a lot of info online and in books on how to do the fingerings, but very little on dynamics and clarity...

Thanks!

2. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Can you post a clip so we can hear what you mean?

Sounds like you might need to slow down and build speed. If evenness is what you are going for, you should practice slowly, with a metronome or drum machine and build to the speed you want. If you are playing faster than you can or are straining while playing, it will show up and make it seem muddy and unclear.

3. Birddog

Birddog Member

I can't post clips, since I'm at work, but I can tell you that it's not so much the speed (I'm fairly fast) or the evenness. I have a decent sense of timing that's come from 30 years of playing.

Instead it's the clarity of the indivual notes in these particular triplet runs. I'm wondering if it's something in technique, like playing off the sides of my fingertips -- which I know I tend to do -- instead of dead-center.

Thanks for the input.

4. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Could be.

BTW, I wasn't implying that you can't play. :) I hope it didn't come across that way.

5. Birddog

Birddog Member

Oh hell no, lol.

I didn't intend to sound defensive, just to let you know that I have a few years of picking under my belt. I know I can't play but resolved my self years ago to not let that ruin my rockstar dreams....

:D

6. giggedy

giggedy Member

economy picking works well with 3 notes per string. I started slow, hitting the first 5 notes, and then I'd add notes only when the previous batch was up to speed.

7. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

If the notes ring into each other too much pick them instead of picking the first and then pulling the next 2 off.

8. KRosser

KRosser Member

My advice from over 40 years of playing: practicing very slowly helps everything, not just speed.

Play them slowly enough to get exactly the clarity you're looking for, then very slightly edge up the metronome. Go no faster than you can maintain the clarity and balance.

9. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

I'd also add, practice this stuff with a clean amp setting too....the mistakes will 'jump' out at you and force you to really be critical of accuracy. And then, just when you are on the verge of frustration, switch back to a distorted setting, and just rip. You'll be amazed!

Cheers

Kris

10. Birddog

Birddog Member

I'll give the clean / clean & slow approach a whirl tonight.

Thanks everyone.

11. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

basically speed is gainked by pull offs and hammer ons, speed mechanics for lead guitar by troy stetino is really good.

one of his exercises is

e-- 1 h 2 h 3 h 4 do this on all strings and all frets

I alternate it with

e-- 5 p 4 p 3 p 2 do this on all strings and frets,

you need to develop your finger strength so it may take a while for this to
    become easy, and finger independence.

To get 4 notes on a string I generally tap,

notes from a C7 chord

e---8 p&h 10 h&p 12 tap 15

gives me C D E G or a C7 chord, which notes you play is up to you, however you have to be able to hammer on and pull off with all your fingers which is what the exercises give you. there are a million riffs, you can use this technique, I generally work out of chords

12. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

"Sheets of Sound "
    if you wanted a book that can help all the areas you
    brought up. Picking stratagies, string to string, and so much more
    hard to really put into a nutshell because this book is so vast.

And a metronome.