Three sided mic sound blocker for guitar amps...what is it?

zekmoe

Gold Supporting Member
Saw an Instagram post I can no longer find about someone playing a gig in Nashville, with 4 amps. Each amp had these three sided mic filter/blocker on stands . Looked like they had a hole in the middle. I asked and someone said Rob Rhodes music but that doesn’t come up with any searches I’ve found for these shields. Does this sound familiar to you? Do you know what they are? I would like to try them.

sws1

I've seen others, but they are all kinda the same. Some curved. Some might even be home made.

Endr_rpm

huh, I'd think they'd add soem kind of effect to the sound, like a small room, boxy if you will.

zekmoe

Gold Supporting Member
I”think” they are made to place a ribbon like a Royer and an sm57 and allow phase alignment plus rejection for the back of the ribbon . The hole is for the 57.

makerdp

A ribbon mic is onmi-directional so the back of the mic, and the sides for that matter, pick up just as much signal as the front. By having it hang inside this little contraption it does not pick up any unwanted room noise be that reflections from the amp in a small room or other instruments in the same same studio room or on stage. It is a GREAT device for a small studio!

Sweetwater sells a package that comes with that and two sE mics... their "57 clone" and their lower-end ribbon. I bought it when they offered it with the real 57 and they upgraded the ribbon mic to sE's next level up. It was a great purchase. Works really really well.

Any "boxy" sound you may get is because your amp sounds that way to begin with. This is for close-micing so you are getting the speaker and cabinet sound, nothing more nothing less.

Stephen Davis

We use them on my tour. They definitely make the sound of the amps more consistent from night to night and venue to venue. I don't find them boxy at all. They are definitely designed for a 57 and a 121 combo. I would definitely recommend them for live use, not so sure about studio.

A ribbon mic is onmi-directional so the back of the mic, and the sides for that matter, pick up just as much signal as the front. By having it hang inside this little contraption it does not pick up any unwanted room noise be that reflections from the amp in a small room or other instruments in the same same studio room or on stage. It is a GREAT device for a small studio!

Sweetwater sells a package that comes with that and two sE mics... their "57 clone" and their lower-end ribbon. I bought it when they offered it with the real 57 and they upgraded the ribbon mic to sE's next level up. It was a great purchase. Works really really well.

Any "boxy" sound you may get is because your amp sounds that way to begin with. This is for close-micing so you are getting the speaker and cabinet sound, nothing more nothing less.
The 121 at least is bi-directional (figure 8) so the nulls are on the side of the mic. Figure 8 can be very handy for reducing bleed!

I’d like to try that SE ribbon, is it the VR1? I’ve seen Pete Thorn use that to good effect.

alivegy

Most ribbons have a figure 8 pattern and reject the sides. An exception would be the m160.

makerdp

OK yeah figure-8 but the rear is being blocked by the enclosure so the same principle still holds.

makerdp

The 121 at least is bi-directional (figure 8) so the nulls are on the side of the mic. Figure 8 can be very handy for reducing bleed!

I’d like to try that SE ribbon, is it the VR1? I’ve seen Pete Thorn use that to good effect.

Yes this is the package I bought but my sales rep upgraded the ribbon to the VR1 for the cost difference between the X1 R and the VR1.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GTRFProKit--se-electronics-guitar-recording-package

The VR1 is a great mic. It has a little more high-end detail than a typical ribbon and it blends very nicely with the SM57 micing the cab in the guitaRF. The whole setup is nice and compact too... saves a lot of space if you don't have a ton of room to play with.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom