Three Strat type guitars... Which would you pick and why?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Barnzy, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

Interested in TGP's thinking on which of these guitars you would pick and why. Have to go on specs and your own experiences for this exercise. I will do some playing as I find them, but need to get your thoughts to help with my decision process....

G&L USA Legacy
    Fender American Professional Series Strat
    EBMM Cutlass

Feel free to suggest another model if you think it fits the pattern and I overlooked it....
    Thanks,
    Barnzy

2. scotty31

scotty31 Supporting Member

Cutlass.
    EB make excellent guitars.
    Really excellent guitars.

3. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

American Professional Strat imo. Mostly because I don't have much experience with USA G&Ls, but I've really liked all the American Pros I've played. My only real issue with them is the fret wire, I don't like the narrow frets.
    I've never played an EBMM I got along with though. Something about their neck profiles just doesn't work for me. And I'm not a fan of having to keep a battery in my guitars. They're well made though, just not for me.

4. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

If I wanted a Strat type guitar, I think I would go for a Fender Strat.

Fenderesq, Shiro, Jonathan31 and 10 others like this.
  5. trishoot

trishoot Silver Supporting Member

I recommend the Fender American Professional. You can easily get parts, pickups etc. The EBMM is a great guitar, but the neck profile is something you need to check. The nut is 1 5/8 and feels much different than the Strat neck The body is also smaller, similar to a Mustang/Musicmaster. If the neck works for you, they are great guitars, although I think that the Fender American Professional quality is on par with EBMM. The EBMM is more expensive, but you get locking tuners, which would cost you $60 to put on a Fender American Special. The Legacy may be okay, but I have always found the pickups to be too bright. The G&L quality is also top notch. Go play all three. They are capable of very similar sounds, but they all have a very different vibe. Good luck!

Fenderesq, Cal Webway and Barnzy like this.
  6. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Supporting Member

Fender American Professional.
    But, the only reason i didn't bother to try the Cutlass is because it has a narrower nut width.
    The reason for the Fender over the G&L: i'd want a guitar that sounds like a Strat. If the G&L ever didn't sound like my expectation of a Strat, i'd be bothered. See the Anderton's/Chappers videos when Rob was in Minnesota for a comparison of a Strat vs G&L. There is a difference, no?

TubeStack and Barnzy like this.
  7. The bear

The bear Member

Al excellent guitars. I'd go with a G&L with a 1 11/16 nut.

Barnzy likes this.
  8. Cal Webway

Cal Webway Silver Supporting Member

Fender is a 1 11/16 nut too.

Fender Pro for reasons above. I wish they'd go ss frets tho, but I kno it would ^ $$.

RolandKorg and Barnzy like this.
  9. DiPa

DiPa Member

This!

Cal Webway and Barnzy like this.
  10. blong

blong Supporting Member

Get 2 of each. All are great, but I lean towards the strat and G&L. If I were getting a EBMM, I'd get a Silhouette. I prefer them over the Cutlass.

Bob

Digidog, Cal Webway and Barnzy like this.
  11. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Gold Supporting Member

I’d look at a Tuttle or Grosh.

Benz2112 and Barnzy like this.
  12. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

I will check those out....Thanks!

13. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

I'd go Fender.

I really wanted to like the EBMM, because the specs and build are awesome, but I couldn't get along with the narrow neck.

G&L is a solid choice, I just like the Fender more. I like the pickups they're putting in the Am. Pro strats

TubeStack and Barnzy like this.
  14. MassProducedDreamer

MassProducedDreamer Member

I have a Fender American Standard Strat 2013(same price point as current American Professional, but definitely not the same guitar). I like it, don't love it. I also have a Fender MIJ strat that I kinda love.

Currently casually looking for a G&L legacy. I like used guitars with original parts. A lot of G&Ls are built to order so there are a lot of options within any given year of Legacy, lots of variety.

So I guess my vote is G&L. Nothing against EBMM...those are looking more appealing to me every day

Barnzy likes this.
  15. toomanyamps

toomanyamps Member

The Olympic White one!

16. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

...probably not:)

17. Beakertwang

Beakertwang Supporting Member

Whichever one has a humbucker in the bridge. :D

Robotechnology likes this.
  18. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

...probably yes:)

19. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Member

I am a bit different than most I guess, but there is no way I can see ever buying a new factory made guitar again in my lifetime. They are overpriced, underperforming, nothing special stuff bolted together by people who really don't care a thing about them other than the paycheck they provide.

If I wanted a new shiny guitar, my first choice would be to buy a body in the color of my choice off ebay or reverb, or have one made by MJT. If I wanted a relic, I'd have one made by MJT.

Neck wise - that's a personal choice... so many choices. If you insist on a "genuine" Fender, pick the model you like and buy one from Stratosphere. If you don't care, pick a profile you like and have whatever sticker or not - your choice.

I am very particular about pickups, tuners, wiring, caps etc now - so I would choose my own and not settle for the mass produced stuff a factory uses, made by the lowest bidder.

But of your 3 choices - I'd definitely buy Fender. Anything else is an off-brand and harder to sell when you tire of it. EBMM/G&L etc - fine guitars, just not a publicly instant recognized name - that exclusively belongs to Fender and Gibson. You pay for that up front, and the next guy pays for it too...

Hope this helped.

Barnzy, ChampReverb and lifeson1 like this.
  20. Jarick

Jarick Member

If you want a traditional Strat, or if you think you may want to swap out parts, go with the Fender. If you want something that feels a bit more sturdy and modern, check out the G&L and the Ernie Ball. I will say there are some excellent used deals on G&L's. You might find a mint one from the last couple years for $800.

rlmcritters1 and Barnzy like this.