Three Strat type guitars... Which would you pick and why?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Barnzy, Jan 2, 2018.

1. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

I certainly Would probably choose the EBMM. Just an incredible build for the money. I personally would have less problem getting that sight unseen rather than the Fender, which I would have to play before purchasing. There are more dogs out there than the EB.

Barnzy likes this.
  2. Drewboy

Drewboy Member

I’d go Strat me.

3. 71strat

71strat Member

Partscaster

USA Custom Guitars Body/Neck. They'll do any frets, or radius you want.

Ilitch Noise Reduction guard

Either a MannMade USA Tremolo, Callaham for Vintage
    or
    Supervee locking/or Blade Runner

Gotoh SD510 HAP/M

2 Fralin Woodstocks. Neck/Middle

RS Guitarworks Finish.

Duncan SSL 1C DG Scatter Wound Custom Shop Bridge.

Send all of it to Joe Glaser in Nashville for Assembly, Setup, and PLEK.

Barnzy likes this.
  4. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

I like my EBMM Albert Lee, so from your choices I’d be most likely to pick the Cutlass.

To those concerned about a battery in their guitar, the Albert Lee works perfectly well without it. There aren’t any active circuits affecting the sound - it’s only there to power the silent circuit.

If you remove the battery, the guitar just has the normal single coil noise we all associate with Strats.

Barnzy likes this.
  5. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

I'm glad you mentioned this...I wondered about the active circuit and whether it was something i wanted to deal with. Thanks for the info!

6. ieso

ieso Member

You can't really go wrong with any of those. I have an EBMM JP15, a Strat EJRW, and a G&L Legacy and they're all cool. I will say that the build quality of the EBMM is probably a notch higher than Fender or G/L but it's also not the model you're considering. As for the 1 5/8 neck width, my Legacy is like that and I switch back and forth with no problem between it and my other guitars with wider necks.

However

If you can save up a bit more or buy used you might check out a Tom Anderson (e.g., classic or icon models). I bought an Angel last year and a lot of my other guitars are no longer getting much attention.

Barnzy likes this.
  7. John C

John C Supporting Member

Actually Kurt L's info is only correct for the older version of the EBMM Silent Circuit - the battery dies, you just lose the noise cancelling. Over the years I've owned 3 Silhouette Specials, 2 Albert Lees and 1 Axis SuperSport with the Silent Circuit and that is how it worked.

However, the Cutlass has a new version of the Silent Circuit that also has a unity gain buffered output - i.e. all 5 switch settings will come out at the same level (instead of the usual volume drop in positions 2 and 4) - so it has to have a battery to work. Some owners over on EBMM's forum have tried removing the battery, and the Cutlass will not work without it.

The Cutlass is closer in size to a Fender Strat than some other EBMM models, but it will still feel a little bit smaller than a Strat (or any other S-type with a "full sized" body).

Anthony Newcomb and Barnzy like this.
  8. jhale

jhale Supporting Member

I just got a fender silverburst am pro strat. Its really good

Barnzy and TubeStack like this.
  9. jiml

jiml Silver Supporting Member

Came into say this. I have owned many Strat types, they never really sound accurate, I always went back to a Fender.

Fenderesq and Barnzy like this.
  10. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

Thanks for the correction! I was not aware the circuit had been updated and I’d hate to be the source of bad info. Much obliged!

Anthony Newcomb and Barnzy like this.
  11. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Supporting Member

If I'd wanted a vintage-type Strat, I'd be very interested in an LsL. For a bit more modern feel, possibly a Suhr.

12. slider

slider Member

Fender is going to have the best resale.
    The necks on EBs are not only narrow, but thin, lots of folks like'em like that, not me.
    My Legacy came with Duncans and a good sized neck. Love it.

Barnzy and rwijaya like this.
  13. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

Yeah, same here. But I can definitely appreciate that those other guitars are well-made instruments and can understand why people buy them.

14. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

They are all killer. The Am Pro gets the edge just because it's a Strat that hasn't been 'modified' with a 'superior' trem or the like.

15. rwijaya

rwijaya Member

from reselling perspective if you are not in the USA , i would choose fender.
    the g&L and the EB will be harder to resell anywhere else but USA.

Barnzy likes this.
  16. rufedges

rufedges Member

Really, what tones are you going for, and what kind of music do you play? Three very different types of S shaped guitars you mentioned, very different tonal flavors.

If you're looking for vintage strat look, tone, and feel = DANOCASTER. If I buy another guitar, it will be a DANO.
    EBMM guitars will not give you true Strat sounds, they are their own thing. Tiny necks too, played them from 2008-2014. Build quality is really good though, and unbeatable customer service. I don't care for the poly, and overall, their guitars are on the smaller side than Fender/Gibson. Price, meh.
    Fender has some great guitars as do many other manufacturers, but sometimes you pay more than you should just for the name, I recommend you compare and play in person for the best selection.

Barnzy likes this.
  17. William Bohensky

William Bohensky Member

Fender. Still the best guitar to play.

Barnzy likes this.
  18. Jarick

Jarick Member

I'm not sure if I'd actually pull the trigger this year or not, and it's not a traditional Strat, but I'm spec'ing out a pretty sweet partscaster right now:

Warmoth roasted alder or swamp ash Strat body ~ 350
    Warmoth roasted maple Strat neck with SS frets ~ 350
    Gotoh 510 tremolo & locking tuners ~ 150
    No pickguard, rear routing, two knobs, 5-way super switch
    Suhr pickups (Thornbucker+, V60LP middle and neck) ~ 250
    Misc parts/electronics ~ 75

Kind of inspired by a Charvel GG. Whole thing would spec out under $1200, and possibly well under with some good used deals. The neat thing is with roasted wood there wouldn't need to be a finish, or at the least you could get away with a pretty thin oil finish that wouldn't cost a lot, require a lot of equipment or need a lot of time/space to apply.

Barnzy likes this.
  19. John C

John C Supporting Member

So far the updated circuit is only on the 2 Cutlass models; the old-style circuit (where it works without the battery) is still used on the SSS Albert Lee and the Silhouette Special (which is now only available in the HSS configuration).

Barnzy likes this.
  20. qblue

qblue Member

I'm a long time Fender owner since 1982, and I have a 1970 Stratocaster, bought used, that has Alnico 5 pickups (Think CS'69).

My other is the 1990 Strat Ultra with Lace Sensors, HSS.

What I found surprising was how much the Fender Elite sounded like the Ultra. The Ultra had the first noiseless pickups, the Lace Sensor. These new 4th Gen. noiseless sound really good, deeper in timbre, but still stratty, without the tinny jangle. Some might like this, some won't. My pickups on the Ultra are high in output, the Blue in the neck has 12kHz, and the Red dually HB in the bridge has 14kHz resistance. The gold in the middle is about 5.9kHz is like the normal output from classic Strats. In that 4th Gen pickup, the resistance is 10.4kHz

The tinny jangle is what I hear from my 1970 Stratocaster The output from its pickups is 5.7-5.9kHz. And the sound is similar to the G&L, with a lot noise from 60-cycle hum. Both have the scooped midrange that you can hear from these low output pickups they put on older Strats. Currently the 4th Gen. pickups and Laces have outputs dwarfing the CS'69 pickup output, and a lot more midrange.

I'd go with the Fender, because the Ultra is still the best sounding Strat I have and this Elite is very close in sound. Also it has a multi-radius neck, locking tuners, S1 switching, and bypass switch.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018