Three “TS” types that sound nothing alike

Feverdog

Ibanez TS7
Yerasov 3000volts
Greer Relic Drive

For what it’s worth.

Ibanez sounded thin, brittle, dynamics were gone, like all the strings suddenly lost tension and attack. Volume drop. Sounded ok stacked w/ Muff.

The Yerasov (which is s’posedly Sd-1 based not TS..does that matter? IDFK) is the most charming of the three. Neon yellow, graphics circa 1991, a tone knob labeled “life or death” (worth the price of admission alone). Sounds better than the Ibanez but has some terrible tone suck when turned off. Sounds great shoved into a Muff. But definitely has that middy, tightened bass sound.

The Greer Relic sounds nothing like the other two. I don’t know why it’s called a TS derivative, what does that mean anymore. Sounds like a damn good low-med overdrive. Used to have the Southland and it sounds more like that than any TS derivative I’ve ever played/heard. Sounds great by the way. TONS of output, no congestion, presence w/ out being too harsh, still keeps that dynamic snap to the strings. Like the Southland with maybe less gain, a tad more mids.

All of these tried on same amp: 50 watt JMP clone thru a 1x12.

John K.

When overdrives are said to be based on a TS circuit, it doesn't necessarily mean that they will sound like a tube screamer. It generally means they share the same or similar circuit layout with similar style chips. A lot of "TS-type" circuits have different options to remove/reduce compression or add more bass back in, etc. Think of it like a TS-type circuit is a burger, and depending on how you change the ingredients you can get completely different results, some not even resembling burgers anymore.

Junco Partner

When overdrives are said to be based on a TS circuit, it doesn't necessarily mean that they will sound like a tube screamer. It generally means they share the same or similar circuit layout with similar style chips. A lot of "TS-type" circuits have different options to remove/reduce compression or add more bass back in, etc. Think of it like a TS-type circuit is a burger, and depending on how you change the ingredients you can get completely different results, some not even resembling burgers anymore.
Totally this. I could have: MXR SBACOD; BB Preamp; and any choice of vintage OD-1, SD-1, TS808, or TS9; all side by side and I feel like I could dial in different enough sounds to justify using each of them. And I’m not even a big fan of the OG tubescreamer, but some of the derivatives with minor changes sound great to me. I haven’t even messed with some of the super-tweakable TS reimaginings like EQD Palisades or VHT V-Drive.

Trending Topics