Thriller

John Hurtt

Gold Supporting Member
Dug this album out tbis morning and was reminded how many great songs are on here. Thriller, Billie Jean, Beat it, P.Y.T., Gonna Be Starting Something....the entire album is a pop masterpiece from start to finish. Steller songwriting...great vocals obviously...and superior musicianship from an all-star group of session guys. If you haven't played this lately, give it a go.

monty

As a big VH fan Thriller bugs me because it held that number 1 spot for so long- blocking VH from doing so. That and my older brother hogging the record player playing it, again blocking me from cranking 1984.
But whenever I put it on I remember why that was. It`s such a killer record, one of the best of all time.

Simto

Check this **** out.
Showcase of perfect arrangement with different parts coming in and out and the right moments and never fighting for each other's space. There's a lot of space left for the vocal parts, but so much groove and melody in itself.
Amazing songwriting, arrangement and production on that album. No wonder it got as huge as it did. It's ****ing amazing.

Gclef

I remember when this came out. It was HUGE.
Everything up to Bad was pure magic.

I also remember guys walking around with one sequined white glove. Lol

Michael Jackson, Elton john, prince, billy Joel, lionel richie, and hall and Oates were the pop superstars.

Micheal did it best.

brainman

What's the story? Never heard that.
There are interviews where he discusses it. I just can't remember which one since it's been a long time since I saw it. The gist of the story is that Steve Porcaro had written it for his daughter and recorded a basic demo. One of the other Toto guys was supposed to run a tape with the stuff he had come up with over to Quincy Jones. Problem was that he couldn't find a blank tape; so he used Steve's. Quincy had a tape deck with a fancy new auto-reverse function. He listened to the other guy's stuff and didn't hear anything interesting, but the tape kept running. When it flipped and Human Nature came on, Quincy loved it.

---I could have some details wrong there.

When I was a metalhead in 8th grade, I acted like I didn't like Michael. But I owned Thriller and listened to it all the time :rotflmaoTop to bottom a masterpiece.

I finally learned to play the solo to Beat It last week. Amazing that Ed never asked for 1 dime for doing that solo and even helped arrange the song.

And Wanna Be Starting Something is just THE JAM.

bluesuede

Thriller reminds me of Boston's debut and Fleetwood Mac's Rumours: all chick full of hits and stronger than most bands greatest hits albums.

I knew a few guys that bought Thriller solely because of EVH's solo on Beat it. It would be interesting to see how many copies total Eddie sold. Speaking of Eddie, who is one of my favorites, the real standout guitar work to me, isn't Eddie's solo. It is Steve Lukather's rhythm guitar.

Thriller reminds me of Boston's debut and Fleetwood Mac's Rumours: all chick full of hits and stronger than most bands greatest hits albums.

I knew a few guys that bought Thriller solely because of EVH's solo on Beat it. It would be interesting to see how many copies total Eddie sold. Speaking of Eddie, who is one of my favorites, the real standout guitar work to me, isn't Eddie's solo. It is Steve Lukather's rhythm guitar.
Steve's riff on Beat It so awesome. It sticks in your head like glue.

adolan

Dang, I have been on a Thriller binge lately! I watched This Is It and was like ok, I gotta go listen to Thriller again and I gotta say, that Lp is top to bottom solid. That Billie Jean groove still to this day gets me amped. watching this is it I was just floored at how good he was, his whole thing, band dancer, etc all the best of the best, quality wise....

Trending Topics