• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Throaty/growly wah?

longgonedaddy

Silver Supporting Member
I’m looking for a wah that’s a little dirty, growly, throaty sounding all by itself, that it doesn’t need dirt to get a little edge to it. when I’ve had wahs, I find myself using them for more of a swell or tone shaper, than for what I would call the classic wacka wacka sounds. So, a clean wah just doesn’t do what I’m looking for.

think the wah equivalent of Bruce Springsteen singing, not Paul McCartney

the Jerry Cantrell wah caught my eye for this, After reading about it, and hearing a demo. But I was looking for more suggestions

LikeAMotherF

Gold Supporting Member
I’m looking for a wah that’s a little dirty, growly, throaty sounding all by itself, that it doesn’t need dirt to get a little edge to it. when I’ve had wahs, I find myself using them for more of a swell or tone shaper, than for what I would call the classic wacka wacka sounds. So, a clean wah just doesn’t do what I’m looking for.

think the wah equivalent of Bruce Springsteen singing, not Paul McCartney

the Jerry Cantrell wah caught my eye for this, After reading about it, and hearing a demo. But I was looking for more suggestions
I just got the Cantrell Wah and so far I love it. It may be exactly what you're asking for.

But there's also a couple of other contenders you may want to look at- Morley has some interesting wahs, with the interesting detail that many have an optical switch in lieu of the typical switch. The Morley Dragon Wah had always looked intriguing to me. (It's the George Lynch model.) But there's others that may fit the bill.

The other brand I'd take a look at is the old Snarling Dogs. They made a handful of wahs, some more in the "classic" lane, and others slightly more aggressive or tweakable.

I haven't personally tried either of those brands enough to have a well informed opinion. So take it with a grain of salt.

I do, however, have the Cantrell Wah and can say that it's pretty awesome!

(Again, I got it literally days ago. So I'm definitely in the Honeymoon phase. But I've also gotten gear before and instantly realized it wasn't for me or was otherwise lacking in some fundamental way. Not so with the JC95.)

vachterm

Like @Tiresias mentioned, Wilson has some great stuff. To me, the freaker is too radical, but i think the Rippah wah variants might do the trick.
Also Check out Joe Gagan's faux boomer.

apeekaboo

I guess it depends on the amp you're using, but the Dunlop 535q have both filters and a boost. If you have dirt on your board also try placing that before the wah, for a more pronounced effect.

Stratsmyboy

I have the bmf and love it. Did have the rmc10 before that but the sweep was too short. Had the cantrell wah a few years ago which was great but it sucked the life out of my clean tone when it was off. Had it modded to true bypass but it was clunky when engaged. The dream was over, ended up going through a ton until the bmf. Sounds great with overdrive

InkStained

I got the 'whale tatoo' edition of the Cantrell wah a while back, and it's great for my needs. I hate wahs that are too bright.

It kicked my Crybaby Classic off my board (well, off my floor).

husker

Also a fan of the BMF wah, which is what I use.

Perhaps also investigate the Colorsound wah (or any derivatives)?

One of the most distinctive and throaty wah's I've heard is the John Petrucci wah. It sounds different than any of the other ones. I have the Jerry Cantrell wah and it is excellent, but it's a normal wah pedal with some customizations.

MESA/BUDDA

I agree the Cantrell wah is was nice and I have one, but there is a small element of tone suck with it, and although it does have a throaty voice there is no breakup to it and it is essentially just a tweaked Dunlop GCB95.

vintage66

BMF for throaty, growly. I’m not sure I can go back to the regular Vox/Crybaby types as they sound thin and bright to me now.

Trending Topics