ThroBak KZ-115 PAF's on The Doug and Pat Show

THROBAK

The latest Doug and Pat show features a demo of them playing 3 sets of ThroBak KZ-115 pickups with long A4, A5 and A2 magnets. Doug and Pat thought the set with the A4 magnets was the closest to their vintage LP Oscar, with A5 close behind. My personal preference is with A2 and A5 in this set but I think it really boils down to preference. I thought at the very least this exercise would be a good way to show tonal differences between magnets in the same pickups and guitar. I also wanted to glean as much info from Oscar so I could make pickups that would be as accurate as possible in winding, materials, gauss etc. to the P.A.F.'s in Oscar short of destroying the pickups which obviously was not happening.

I have to say Doug and Pat are a lot of fun. It was their idea for me to do the warning video and for them to take the readings with gas masks. I wrote a little script with Matthew, the guy in the background and shot it on my iphone.

Omni7

Thanks for sharing @THROBAK Based on the clips I liked the A4 Neck and A5 in the bridge.
The latest Doug and Pat show features a demo of them playing 3 sets of ThroBak KZ-115 pickups with long A4, A5 and A2 magnets. Doug and Pat thought the set with the A4 magnets was the closest to their vintage LP Oscar, with A5 close behind. My personal preference is with A2 and A5 in this set but I think it really boils down to preference. I thought at the very least this exercise would be a good way to show tonal differences between magnets in the same pickups and guitar. I also wanted to glean as much info from Oscar so I could make pickups that would be as accurate as possible in winding, materials, gauss etc. to the P.A.F.'s in Oscar short of destroying the pickups which obviously was not happening.

I have to say Doug and Pat are a lot of fun. It was their idea for me to do the warning video and for them to take the readings with gas masks. I wrote a little script with Matthew, the guy in the background and shot it on my iphone.

I think the Alinco 2 ‘feel’ the nearest to Oscar with their organic harmonic, dynamics and squish... Yet paradoxically (at least for me ) underlying all of this Oscar seems to have an EQ curve that is more characteristic of an A4.

Trending Topics