Throbak ODB

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teleblaster, Feb 12, 2006.

1. teleblaster

teleblaster Supporting Member

I noticed on the site all the trim pots. Does one need special equipment to adjust, or is this done by ear. Iam very interested in this pedal. Does any one have sound clips maybe with a tele. Oh yea," Ramble on" i want to hear as much as possible on this pedal. :D

2. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

Teleblaster,

There are 4 trim pots on the inside of the unit. I would only recommend that the pregain trim pot in the upper left corner be adjusted by users with this pedal. This trim pot controls the bass note clarity of the pre gain switch and is easily adjusted with a small screwdriver. You simply set it by ear. I include detailed instructions that tell you exactly how to do it. I preset it to sound great with humbuckers and single coils.

The other 3 trim pots are set to very specific voltages. Adjusting one effects the other so it is a bit of a balancing act to get the correct voltages. In reality there is a pretty large window of usable voltages for these remaining 3 trim pots so it is not a disaster it a user wants to play with them. I just have a personal preference for the voltages I use. There is a low voltage window for the bias voltages that I think adds a nice edge to the treble response and I added the trim pots to make sure that I get the voltages set precisely in that window for each pedal's set of transistors. If you do adjust these trim posts it will smooth the highs out very subtly. If one wanted to play with these trim pots you might want to make a sketch of how they are set before you begin so you can get them back in the same old neighborhood if you want. But I think the best thing to do is leave them where they are.

As far as how the Overdrive Boost sounds with a Telecaster, I will humbly say great! The tone controls allow you to really open up the tone of a Tele. Or you can twang it up a bit if you like. Actually I have only ever owned two Telecaster in my life and just got my second which is a 52' Vintage Reissue that I just installed a set of Stephens Design pickups in and the Tele now absolutely rocks with the Overdrive Boost and my 1974x clone. I may do some clips this week so if you are looking for a specific style/kind of tone example let me know and I will see if I can get some clips made. The Overdrive Boost is very versatile both clean and dirty so let me know what you need.

By the way I do have a 5 day return policy on all my pedals so you can make sure it works with your rig.

3. teleblaster

Thanks for the info, I will be ordering one shortly. It shurly looks like a first class box, i think it will fit my needs for a honkin boost for my low wattage fender tweed and gibson amps. ~ mike :RoCkIn

4. carltonh

carltonh Member

Mr. Throbak, :)

I'm curious if you think the ODB could be set to sound like a workable alternative for a prog metal sound. In other words, it would need to capable of having the a chunkiness for palm muting that doesn't cut off the fundamental tone of bass notes like about all fuzzes set to high gain do, and not "swallow" the attack like many fuzzes. It sounds like the required sustain would not be a problem.

If you're familiar with Dream Theater or such, could you imagine them being able to get that style of music pulled off with this pedal? I know the ODB wouldn't sound like a Mesa Boogie, but the sound clips made me think that it may do a more throaty/woody high gain alternative and still sound like prog metal.

5. THROBAK

carltonh,

Yes, I think the Overdrive Boost is a good alternative for prog. metal tones. In germanium mode especially the Overdrive Boost gives plenty of raw distortion with a chuggy low end without going into mud territory. I do say alternative because as you said it is not going to turn your amp into a Triple Rectifier but the Overdrive Boost will give you tones that I think will fit right in with prog. metal.

I voiced the tone controls so that you will get the feeling that the tone is opening up when you switch it on. I hate it when you switch on a pedal and you get the feeling that the tone and dynamics are being funneled through a small pipe that is sucking out most of the tonal spectrum and character of the guitar and even the character of player for that matter. This is not what you will get with the Overdrive Boost, woody/throaty, it can do.

6. teleblaster

Yea throbak clips with the tele would be cool maybe clean-medium-heavy settings. The tele through the 18 watt would get close to one of my rigs - esquire through a 57 gibson GA-20. I mostly play gritty progressive blues and like to thump through a 4x12 for 70s rock :dude

7. carltonh

carltonh Member

Here's another question. I've never done much research on silicon or germanium transistors, but I've heard that many are fickle and affected by weather, humidity, or such, and do wear out over time. Is that true with the ones used in this pedal? Which ones are used, actually?

8. rewog

rewog Member

That's a good question - I'd like to know what transistors are used too.
    BTW - only the Germanium are fickle when it comes to temp changes. :)

9. teleblaster

The transister info is on the web page - TO-18 silicon metal trannys as used in the origanal colorsound pedal, i know there better for temp changes than germ trannys.

10. rewog

rewog Member

The silicone trannys are named, but there's also a switchable Germanium tranny in the pedal.
    So the query is what type of Germ. tranny is used ??

11. Frank B

Frank B Supporting Member

He was my favorite member of the Wu Tang Clan.

12. playon

playon Supporting Member

This pedal sounds killer with any guitar once it's dialed in... the tone controls combined with the switches allow you to contour the tone and the gain for just about any rig. There aren't many pedals out there that allow you to go from a great clean boost to almost full-on Fuzz and everything in between, that sound good at every setting. The one trim pot is easy to adjust, it's pretty much a one-time deal. I tweaked it a little because I wanted just a little more low end than the stock setting. I see no need to mess with the other ones.

I was using the pedal at a rehearsal the other night with an alder body Telecaster and it sounded smokin'... I should make some clips. I love this pedal and I'm thinking about buying a second one, as it can do a lot of different stuff depending on how it is set.

Jon is a great guy to deal with as well.

:dude

13. THROBAK

The silicon transistors are TO-18 metal transistors. They do not have the temperature stability problems of germanium transistors.

As far as the germanium pair goes the modification that I added is a germanium 2N404 transistor in a very specific gain range paired with a germanium diode of a very specific type. I don't want to give away the special sauce but suffice it to say that much time was spent testing and I feel the combination I came up with is IMHO far superior to any other clipping diode arrangement I have run across and gives a very realistic sound. It does not have the harsh clipping diode sound that you get from pedals like the Tube Screamer. Since the germanium transistor is acting as a diode it is not as effected by temperature changes as it would when used as a transistor.

14. rewog

rewog Member

Thanks THROBAK
    the pedal is on my short list this year. :YinYang

15. THROBAK

16. erksin

erksin Member

I will own this pedal someday!

Your clips sound GREAT, man - I love the dynamics, very amplike.

Where does the ODB like to be placed in a chain of effects, first or after a wah like most fuzzes?

17. THROBAK

erksin,

Thanks, the Overdrive Boost is very amplike with great dynamics. You can really feel each note.

As far as placement after the wah (closest to the guitar) is the best spot for it.

18. teleblaster

Thank you THROBAK, the clips sound fantastic. Look for an order from me soon. :dude :BEER :dude

19. 6789

6789 Member

I'm interested in the ThroBak Overdrive Boost for using as a boost or for low gain. I heard the very short cleaner low gain clip at the throbak website and I heard the tele clips. But I'm wonder how the low gain sounds with open chords kind of like old Link Wray songs. Not the noisy all-out songs, but the low gain ones. are there any clips like that?
    the tele clips had a lot of picking and not much chord strumming at low gain.

I've been using a Timmy, Blackstone overdrive, and a Fulltone Fat boost. I'm wondering if I might like the ThroBak Overdrive Boost better.

20. THROBAK

tedzeppelin,

I'll see if I can do some clips with the kind of low gain strumming you are looking for this week. Maybe with my Tweed Deluxe clone.

The Overdrive Boost does do a great job of pushing an amp that is already on the verge of breakup. It also works as a straight clean boost. The eq on the Overdrive Boost also lets you dial in the sharper, glassy tones if that is what you are after.