Throbak Overdrive Boost Vs. Prescription RxOverdriver

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zeppelin11, Jun 12, 2007.

1. zeppelin11

zeppelin11 Member

I know these two are both clones of the Color Sound Overdriver. Anybody know what the differences are, is the Throbak worth 50 extra bucks? I play a strat through a Super Reverb incase ones better for this setup.

2. carltonh

carltonh Member

I haven't played the Px, but I think the extra features on the Throbak ODB are probably worth an extra $50. But there's one on ebay now that you could likely get for less than $50 extra.

3. jgyn

jgyn Member

I'm A/Bing both the Rx and ODB right now, with a Les Paul Deluxe into a Marshall JTM45. Both with treble and bass at 1/2 and drive 1/2 to 3/4 to full. ODB in standard mode. Overall, the Prescription is darker and thicker in the low mids and the ODB a bit brighter and more hollow in the mids (relatively speaking). The ODB's distortion's a bit edgier also.

The ODB has a pre gain switch that boosts the volume. It also thickens up the tone, to where it's similar to that of the Rx. And the ODB has a germanium diode switch, which adds a lot more distortion and compression.

The Rx seems to be a direct clone of the original Colorsound (which I've never played).
    The ODB seems to use the Colorsound as a basis, and then adds extra features.

4. zeppelin11

zeppelin11 Member

thanks, right now my tone tends to be fairly thin and bright so the rx might be better as you said it was darker and thicker in the mids. But if the ODb's pre gain switch can beef up the sound to that of the rx it could be better as it has all the extra features

5. carltonh

carltonh Member

jgyn,

I think you misunderstand the ODB. The pregain switch doesn't boost the volume and bass of the original, if you compare the ODB to another Overdriver clone, you need to compare the ODB with the pregain switch to the right. To the left, it cuts pregain bass and lets the pedal be used more like an overdrive or treble booster sound and less like a fuzz. With the switch to the left, you do need to have the bass knob higher than the treble to get a balanced sound.

6. jgyn

jgyn Member

Carltonh,
    I think you're right. The pregain to the right sounds much more like my Rx. I mistakenly thought that the 'standard' setting was pregain to the left, which I assumed was 'off'.

7. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

Theres also an internal trim that lets you adjust that pre gain switch

8. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

I'll add my props for the Throbak OBD.

I was only vaguely familiar with the history of Colorsound pedals, and did not buy the OBD for use as a CS clone, I was just looking to try another flavor of OD. The Throbak is one of the coolest low to medium drives I've owned. It produces a very organic, non-processed tone; the treble & bass controls are very nicely voiced, no problem with harshness in my Strat/AC30 rig. You can make it downright dark if you want, and it's got more bottom available than any other OD pedal I've owned (speaking from memory here, if I don't immediately bond with a pedal, I generally flip it pretty quickly). A dedicated mid control would be the icing on the cake; I agree with jgyn about it having a (slight) mid suck-out.
    I find the controls on the OBD all useful and well thought out.

I have no experience with the Prescription Rx, can't help there.