Throbak Overdrive Boost, what kind of animal is it??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cary Chilton, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Is this thing a fuzz or not? It looks like hell, but some swear by them. I hear they work particularly well with non master marshall's :jmp, plexi's etc.

It is a little pricy, so I am still sitting on the fence...
    Anyone make their own clips or can you ???

Thanks

2. Cary Chilton

3. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

I use mine purely to help attenuate my Cage Corsa (in it's 30 watt setting) with Jon's suggest "master-volume" setup. Essentially, run it with the top switch shifted LEFT to pre instead of gain, gain volume down, bass and treble turn up and the side switch up. Work's like a charm! Control the overall volume with the master knob on the left side of the pedal.

I haven't really explored using as a fuzz or OD but one a very nicely built pedal and Jon's a great guy!

There have been a few here on TGP for sale. Around $180. I bought mine new from Jon and it isn't going anywhere!!!

4. RANMAN

RANMAN Member

I've had one for 3 weeks now. The best description I can give it is, it's the Swiss Army Knife of pedals. It Boosts, it Crunches, it Fuzzes, and the EQ and Master Vol. work great.

5. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

+1,000. That's Exactly What It Does!!!

6. steinwand

steinwand Member

:agree that's what it does ...

7. Slotunes

Slotunes Supporting Member

The longest lasting pedal Ive ever had...It loves non-master volume amps and is perfect for the studio and home player who want the goods at a rediculously low volume.Highly advised!

8. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

swiss army knife is a good description. it's a clone of the colorsound overdriver.... and there are others. The Throbak has a master volume and, I believe, that the Throbak is the only clone that has a pre-gain switch and a germanium option. I primarily use it as a clean/ semi clean boost or full on silicon distortion/fuzz. It can add a ton of bottom end to my voxish amp.... which is nice sometimes.

9. Scrutinizer

Scrutinizer Member

I use my ODB all the time. Great pedal, versatile. Blurs the line between OD and fuzz.

10. Cary Chilton

How exactly does it work to serve as a master volume for amps with no master vol? In theory, it should color the signal, shouldn't it?

11. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    +1 on this question. i have an Rx Overdriver with is also a Colorsound Overdriver clone. The Rx has a volume too (the original Colorsound version did not), but Throbak users say the volume on the Rx and the volume on the Throbak are not the same. Can anyone clarify the difference between the two? Just curious.

Also wondering how it serves as a master volume for an amp?? How does it work differently than any other OD pedal with a volume pot??

12. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I will be comparing this pedal ( I own the odb ) with the skreddy screwdriver here shortly. The SD is supposed to be smoother and possibly better. I'll know soon.

The odb set clean and on silicon is a awesome open vintage sounding pedal with lots of character. Great post od boost for solos is how im using it.

13. iggs

iggs Member

Well ... DUH ... it says "Master" right on it ... it must work as a MV!

:crazyguy

It's called marketing ... :roll

14. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    haha - i figured it was just marketing.... i almost bought a Throbak just to see the difference between the two volume knobs - quite glad i didn't.

15. jgyn

jgyn Member

I have both the Throbak and the Rx. The volume control function's the same.

16. smogfalls

smogfalls Member

I'm interested in the comparison with a Skreddy Screwdriver...I already have the Skreddy and have been looking into the ODB.

17. RANMAN

RANMAN Member

Haven't tried the RX, but on most OD's when you adjust the volume, it changes the drive saturation, EQ, picking sensitivity etc. The Master on the ODB seems to leave everything else alone, and only changes the volume.

18. Scrutinizer

Scrutinizer Member

By definition, an overdrive circuit colors the signal.

One could argue that all volume controls color the signal, due to the fact that human hearing perceives loudness differently for different frequencies. To maintain the same perceived frequency response, bass frequencies must be attenuated less than high frequencies as the overall volume is reduced.

Back on topic ... the Throbak ODB "master volume" control is simply a volume control. It adjusts the output signal level.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  19. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

LOL:rollThis made me laugh! I have the Throbak sTonebender. Jon Gundry, the maker is a great guy. ITs funny becasue a year ago I told him I wanted to buy one from him but would he make it for me without the graphic! I hated it. Well, I got one, tonebender used and it doesnt rreally look that bad. But it nails the tone it says. I think its better than the DAM MK2!!

You can hear clips on the pedalgeek site or no Jons Throbak site. He is a good guy and responds to emails quickly. He wants the business and he stands by his product. He even remebered me when I emailed!

Good luck!