Throbak Overdrive Boost

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BluesHarp, Apr 7, 2008.

1. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I got one coming in via ebay.. anyone using this one and where in your chain? Also, some of your fav settings would be cool.

Ive heard some killer stuff about this pedal... whats the scoop?

2. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Use it as a fuzz, od or boost. Place in chain accordingly. Its a great pedal. You're going to love it!

3. carltonh

carltonh Member

It is first in my chain, the only thing before my wah pedal.

4. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Yea, I like the fuzz before wah sound best.

Anybody else own the pedal? Is it really a klon like boost like some say?

5. DavidH

DavidH Member

Great pedal.Great boost,fuzz,OD and EQ.The EQ is very wide ranging and works superbly.Take some time to get to grips with it and read the instructions,the pre-gain bass cut,germanium switch,MV,and EQ gives a lot of tweakability.The 'attenuator' trick actually works suprisingly well with a lot of amps.

6. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

damn good pedal... I love the fuzz and the heavy drive setting..... but it's the best semi-clean boost I've ever used and that's what it's doing on my board now. It boosts fuzz so well in a band mix. Wouldn't mind owning 2 or 3 now that I think about it.

7. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I agree 100%. This is the best pedal I've ever played. It's a good time to get one one too. I really think that this will become one of those must-have pedals like the Analog Man KOT. Like they said, it has an excellent EQ, and it makes a hell of a boost, clean or dirty.

One setting that I'm really into is this: gain-full, bass-12:00, treble-10:00 to 10:30, pre-gain switch to the right, sil/ger switch down (towards you, set on silicon), Master volume- wherever suits you

Don't be afraid to back the treble down below the bass setting. And also (when the pre gain is off and the gain is up), remember that the farther you back the bass off, the fuzzier the sound will get. And there are two easy ways to tighten things up: Either turn the bass up more, or you can turn the pre-gain switch to the left (on). The pre-gain will basically alter the bass response and can change turn a fuzz sound into an overdrive and vice versa. The EQ is interactive, but will not affect the master volume or gain controls. So you can set the EQ first, and then set the gain and master controls without affecting the EQ settings. It's very much like an amp, except only smaller. Also, if you need more midrange, back off some on the treble, and then bring up the master volume a bit, and you should have your mids.

Take some time to really get to know it. I've had mine since November and I'm still finding new uses for it. You can try it as a clean boost for a fuzz pedal that lacks volume or needs a little more bass or dynamics. The stock circuit works great for this. I also use it as an extra EQ for my OCD pedal.
    There are all kinds of fuzz/od/clean boost/treble booster/hybrid fuzz/attenuator sounds to choose from. It's really quite an amazing piece of gear for $220.

8. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

One of my favourite pedals ever. The edge of break up clean sound is sensational. Try this
    Gain 9-10 o'clock
    Bass 11
    Treble 10
    top switch set to PRE
    side switch set to Germanium on - pushed forward

Really sensational. Enjoy it

9. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

With a little adjustment to your rig, you can get those low gain Barber LTD/Klon Centaur sounds. It just takes some getting used to.

10. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I forgot to mention something. I usually put the OD Boost near or at the amp end of my signal chain. This way I have the option to use it as a final EQ/boost for other pedals (fuzzes, overdrives/distortions). I'm not using any delays at the moment, but if I were, I would put the OD Boost before them but usually after everything else. That's not to say you can't put it before other dirt pedals (stacking-- some have mentioned putting it before another dirt pedal and getting great results).
    One more thing. This pedal has no shortage of bass/dynamics whatsoever. It's the most dynamic pedal I've ever heard, by far. And no unity volume issues to worry about. It sounds great with the master volume set low, but the more you turn it up, the better it sounds (there's a lot of oomph in there).
    And no wait times to speak of, as long as you buy it through the Throbak website (A few places carry them, but do not necessarily STOCK them).

11. ROKY

ROKY Member

I've been torn between:

the Throbak, the Rx Overdriver and the ProAnalog Power Driver - just
    can't decide which one to order . The Throbak seems to have a few more
    features .. but, I still can't decide .

12. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

The Throbak has a master volume and a pre-gain switch that both really help. I just really think it has something special going on with it. It's my favorite pedal. I get great OD/fuzz/clean boost/treble booster/hybrid (sil. + ger.) fuzz and OD/attenuator sounds in one pedal.

13. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Im excited... the barber sivler ltd I just got in is making the Little Green Wonder nervous. Im looking forward to the ol throback odb. I will chime-in in a few days on what I think about it.

14. DavidH

DavidH Member

That's a good point aswell,it isn't fussed about not being first in the chain,in fact i like it towards the end,you can think of it like a little amp.

And the point you make about having the bass set h9gher than the treble is also a good tip,i typically run mine with the bass at 1-2 o'clock (a bit higher with my jazzmaster) and the treble at 12 o'clock.

My typical settings are (o'clock settings),
    gain:12.00,
    bass:2.00 ,
    treble:12.00,
    MV set all or most of the way up,
    pre gain cut on (left),
    and germanium on (up).

This gives me great low gain overdrive and an enhancer as i roll down the guitar volume.if i want more of a boost i just flick it into silicon(mostly clean boost with a hair) and then the pre gain off (right) if i want to take it into melt down.

This gives me three great settings with the amp set at break up without twiddling any knobs,just flicking the two switches (which you can do with your toes)
    1),a very dynamic germanium low gain OD,which cleans up into a great enhancer (sparkle,cut,clarity and a little sag),and melds with the amps OD.
    2)a great fat and clear clean(ish) boost to take the amp into OD and
    3)a meltdown dirty boost with loose as you like low end.

I like the fact that it doesn't colour the signal half as much as most OD pedals,i find most ODs have too many gain stages or something,the ODB has much more clarity than most.(i play a CJ11,Swart STR and 65-soho-set at break up with the ODB in front gives me a wide range of clean to grit and over the top with guitar volume and the two switches on the pedal).

Other pedals i use in the OD/boost/eq/tone enhancer categories are a Honey Bee,SBEQ and PGC.

Many other uses aswell,it's a great fuzz for one,or you can use it to just add a little sag feel.I think for most players it's worth having,it's like the swiss champ of pedals and can fill in for a lot of boxes in a pinch.

i think gang twanger has covered it all nicely though.

Oh and it's very well built,better than the majority of boutique pedals,and by a good guy,he re-sent mine to the UK at his own cost when my local depot scewed up and returned it to sender.

15. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

PM me if you have any trouble with settings. It's a little complicated at first, but once you get used to it, it's easy. It's a pedal that really loves good quality vintage-style amps. And it's absolutely MADE for the Fender Custom Vibrolux. It sounds magical through it. I'm saving for one as we speak, because my OD Boost sounded so good through it.

16. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

is this pedal the same or similar to a screwdriver? colorsound derivatives, no? just wondering. . . .

17. DavidH

DavidH Member

Yup,it's a colorsound overdriver circuit with tweaks/additions.

18. coreybox

coreybox Member

Is the screwdriver a colorsound derivative? I remember reading it was a big muff with LED diodes and a mosfet 1st stage.

19. carltonh

carltonh Member

The ODB is definitely different from the Screwdriver is sound and circuit roots. The Screwdriver has influences from a treble boost and some other fuzz, but the Screwdriver is smoother where the ODB is more raw, to generalize. The ODB gets a smoother than a Colorsound Overdriver with its germanium settings, but the Screwdriver can get smoother still.

20. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

This pedal is frickN awesome! I havent got this excited since getN a Beano. This one actually moved my Timmy out of my boost pedal spot... so that should tell you something. Im now using the timmy for a low gain warm rythym pedal.. and it excells here really well.

How do I describe the throback odb??? Its very musical and "real" sounding. I like stacking pedals in it and one of the reasons is that Im not redundantly stacking opamps together from pedal to pedal. Its very amp like and the eq... well you have full lows and the highs are... well... clear and vibrant. I never use vibrant to describe highs, but this pedal just adds something real to the sound. I really think that its the no-opamp thing... sort of like: Cot50, Beano, Fetto, Menatone, etc.

:banana Im going banannas.