Throbak Stone Bender fans...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by musica23, Mar 1, 2012.

1. musica23

musica23 Supporting Member

I own a Stone Bender but didn't really try it out thoroughly until recently. Anyway, since there's the option to mess with internal trim pots, I did. Now I can't seem to get a great sound out of it at all. Good, but not great. And the pots are back to their original settings. The bias isn't right and sounds too velcro-y. I can't get as much sustain as I want.

I see a lot of positive comments about this pedal here and I'm wondering what folks are using it with (guitar, amp, etc.). I have a number of fuzz pedals and haven't had this problem before. I'm running it through a stock Blues Jr. and using humbuckers.

I read somewhere here that running it through a dirty Marshall is the way to go, but all the fuzzes I have (and there are many...even other benders) have sounded fine through my clean Fender.

Any comments, suggestions, etc. will be greatly appreciated!

2. musica23

:bumpbump

Where y'all at???

3. telepunk

telepunk Member

Aren't tone benders susceptible to temperature changes because of the germanium transistors? Has it been exposed to extreme temps?

4. musica23

Yes. And no. Thanks anyway!

5. musica23

Just got an email from Jon already, so never mind, folks.

6. Stratm69

Stratm69 Member

Plug into your rig and adjust the bias pot with a screwdriver while playing the Stonebender, you won't hurt anything. Just be sure NOT to touch anything else inside of it.

Make sure it's the only effect your running through. Guitar > Stonebender > Amp.

Dial in the Bias trim-pot to where you think it sounds good or appropriate.

Then, let the pedal sit idle for roughly 10-15 minutes. It's like changing tubes in your amp, it just needs a little time to acclimate. Next, test the pedal again to make sure it's still where you want it at. It may need minor adjusting afterwards.

7. musica23

Thanks, Stratm69. That's pretty much exactly what Jon said to do. And that's what I did except that I adjusted and then played, adjusted and then played, etc. Tomorrow I'll adjust as I'm playing and if that doesn't work, off it goes to Jon. A 5-year warranty is a heckuva deal!