Throbak Stone Vs. DAM MKII

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by emjee, Mar 28, 2008.

1. emjee

emjee Member

Can someone chime in here and tell me how they compare sonically? Reason I ask is that if they are the same then I would much prefer to do business with a US based company. Mainly because of the enormous diff in buckage. Anyone? Thanks.

MG

2. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I haven't tried a Stone Bender yet, but I do own the Overdrive Boost and the Fuzz Haze, and I really love both of them, especially the OD/Boost, which is an absolute monster. Throbak's pedals not only sound really great, but they have a versatility that other pedals don't. The pre-gain switch really helps big time in changing a great fuzz into a great overdrive.
    I have heard nothing but great things about the Stone Bender, and considering that D.A.M. isn't even taking names for their waiting list (as far as I know), I think you would be better off with the Throbak. I have a Sweet Sound Pro Bender, which I totally love, but I'm still thinking about picking up a Stone Bender because they are so versatile. And plus if the GAS is still getting to you when the waiting list opens back up, then you can always get on it then. Throbak really makes some great stuff.
    Here's some sound clips of the Stone Bender. Scroll down until you get to the 2nd "Machine Gun" cover. I think both versions are with the Stone Bender, but only one says so. I think there are others on there too.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=343910&content=music
    If you buy it directly from the Throbak website, you can get it shipped right away.

3. emjee

emjee Member

DAM just started taking orders again, but just for the MKII and one other.

MG

4. emjee

emjee Member

Now see, here is somethin I dont get. check out this clip from DAM:http://www.stompboxes.co.uk/gpage2.html

and then compare it to the Throbak Stone Bender: http://gundrymedia.typepad.com/throbak_electronics/files/2_bridge_overdrive_pre_gain_on.mp3

Now arent these both supposed to be knock offs of the same pedal? They sure dont sound anything alike. Or am I mistaken?

Thanks!

5. emjee

emjee Member

6. 900

900 Member

That DAM clip sounds absolutely dreadful. Besides, I think that clips are useless. You've got to have the pedals and being able to check them out yourself, with your guitar, amp, playing style etc.

7. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Dave is a great guy. I own a Meathead Deluxe and have played a MKII. The clips do neither pedal justice.

I also own a Throbak ODB. It's probably my favorite boost ever.

Conclusion - you can't go wrong with either builder. Find your flavor and rock it out. :dude

8. jgyn

jgyn Member

Different strokes, I guess. I have, and love, the Throbak, but I like the DAM demo clip better than the Throbak clip!

9. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Part of the reason that they sound different as far as clips are concerned may be this (sorry, I was up for way too long and I had to get some sleep). The Stone Bender (along with most of the Throbak stuff) has a pre-gain switch that alters the bass response and, IMO, basically changes it from a fuzz into an overdrive, thus giving you a whole different range of tones to work with and really upping the versatility factor in a big way. My OD/Boost and Fuzz Haze both have it and it makes a huge difference.

10. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

11. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I went on the D.A.M. site and noticed a few changes. First of all, the clip that starts playing when you go on the MKll page is different. I really liked the other one better and I think it is more indicative of how a good MKll-type circuit is capable of sounding, and also, what happened to the Soundhead page with all the mp3 files?

12. emjee

emjee Member

FWIW, Me too(to the latter).

MG

13. cauger

cauger Member

You can hear the old clip here, it's the "MKII B" one.

http://www.myspace.com/damsoundclips

14. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

I'll chime in here as I've had two DAM MK II's (now have one with OC71's), had the Throback, Retroman Lola, BYOC ESV MKII. In terms of sound I would rate them as follows...
    1) DAM MK II
    2) BYOC/Lola
    3) Throbak

I have not listened to the site clips but using the same guitars, Mex Strat w/ Dimarzio Area 58 pu and a Highway I Tele stock all of these sound VERY different and the DAM by a LONG mike sounds the "best".

The DAM has THAT sound..it nails it. The build quality inside and out is likely the best I have seen with top notch components, shielded wire, point to point soldering (no printed circuit board) etc. It simply sounds great and is VERY quiet...that is the problem I had with all the others was a bit too much hiss.

Both the Lola and BYOC come close and I just built and sold the BYOC so I did a side by side comparison...did not do the same w/ Lola as I don't have it any longer. The BYOC came REALLY close and I cold get tones that were almost identical. Difference was the BYOC had just a slightly more shrill top end and less bass...it was thinner. I also think they should expose the Bias as a knob as it allows for major changes in the voicing. I don't screw with the DAM as it just sounds great as it is.

The Lola was a really close contender with the Bias knob, great build, small box but it too was just a little more hiss prone at higher settings that I would like and since I just play at home it bothered me...I am hyper sensitive about this so YMMV by quite a bit.

As for the Throbak, I am sorry to say I did not get the sound/tones I was looking for and it did not get that MKII sound with the fitzy, slightly spitty top end that warbles as it decays. I am not sure what trannys were used but they were not OC's and there seems to be a real correlation between the OC trannys and traditional MKII sound.

DAM is now only selling direct and taking lists but right now only for MKII and Red Rooster I think. They are VERY pricey (over $400) and the ONLY reason I have one is I traded a new KOT that I did not bond with + $25 so it was still reasonable. I still have pangs about owning a fuzz box that has a value of +$400...just seems crazy.

If you have some chops with a soldering iron and want to get close for sure get the BYOC MKII ESV. Otherwise I can also highly recommend the Lola…Joe has a great ear for fuzz and makes great products. I did not like the Throbak but know some of their products are highly regarded…this one did not do it for me. Hope this is helpful...

15. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I admitt some clips do not do a pedal justice -how it really sounds. However, we should consider the clips anyway as the mic HEARS the sound.
    It is my experience, that how a mic hears a sound versus how it sounds to me in person -isn't always the same.

In the end, if we want a guitar/amp/or pedal for recordings, we should strongly consider the recordings that are available. ;)

For example, in my recordings, the Blues Devil records exactly as it sounds in person, whereas the Blueboy pro didn't.

16. emjee

emjee Member

Thanks Cary, Jumble Cauger for your feedback ;). Cary, your sound is great! It wasnt hard for me to decide whether or not your tone sounds anything like you did when it was recorded, very impressive!

Jumble I'm also mostly a home player, and appreciate your input on all three. I think I'm gonna go for the DAM. See for me the clip on the DAM site for the MKII sound very much like the guitar solo sound in "Incense and Peppermints". That is the exact tone I'm after. I hope the one I have on order has the OC71's.

Also Cauger, thanks for the link, the more clips of this 400 dollar pedal I can hear th better!

Again everyone, thanks!

17. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

Hmmmm...well...if that is the sound you are after you should for sure look at the Analog Man Peppermint Fuzz...it is based on that sound. I don't recall that solo though I remember when the song came out. The DAM is a great fuzz all the way round...

18. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

emjee, thanks! That is just my Taiwan rig, Stage Hog plus whatever else in the chain into a Roland Cube -clean channel. Back home, my 67 plexi slays!

19. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

I have owned a lola a dam a demarco and a throbak. The dam was great but expensive. I doubled my money when I sold it. The lola was nice but I traded it toward getting a custom amp built. The demarco is nice for cheapuy and I think it is just as good as the others but is a little bass heavy.

I personally think the throbak is the best value because it nails zep tones that I want is very tweakable so it works well with different amps. If anything the throbak should cost as much as the dam. Good thing it doesn't!!! Different strokes though!