Throwdown: Bad Cat Cougar 50c vs. DSL 40C

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DirtLover, Feb 27, 2015.

1. DirtLover

DirtLover Member

I don't need another amp. Said no TGPer ever... but these have my attention and the price on both is so reasonable right now.

Can anybody give me some insight on these 2 amps as compared to each other?
    Currently I'm running an SS22 with various fuzz, od and a RAT. It's a geat amp I like it but don't love it - depends on the day I guess. I play a wide range of styles from rock/blues/indie/punk/r&b... so I need an amp with a lot of versatility.
    One of my current projects is LOUD and my 22 is pushed to keep up and I have trouble controlling the feedback - sometimes in a good way but not always.
    I also need something I can use at home while the kid asleep and the wife is watching TV or doing whatever it is she does when I'm down in my music room.

C'mon Cougar 50c vs. DSL 40c!
    Who comes out on top?

2. DirtLover

DirtLover Member

If I do end up going with the DSL I'd probably wait until Sweetwater has their special with the creamback speaker upgrade.

3. Mole351

Mole351 Member

Bump as I have the DSL and looking to maybe replace with the BC 50H

4. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

I've owned and played many "real" Bad Cats (currently have Hot Cat 30) and I got the chance to play the Cougar 50 for a few hours Saturday. I must say I am VERY impressed. The cleans were great and took pedals (especially the Fat Rat) like a champ and the drive channel, although more gain than I would ever need, was nice and thick and articulate. I would pay $1000 for it and not feel a bit sorry.

Its not just a good amp for $430, its a good amp period.

5. Pasloade74

Pasloade74 Member

Funny because I recently traded my DSL40c (along with a couple other things ) for a SS 60 combo. Just couldnt get along with the dsl. Much happier with the Fender.

6. demea26

demea26 Member

Cougar 50C hands down

Had the SS22 and flipped it pretty quickly. Couldnt bond with the OD channel.
    Played a DSL40C in Sam Ash and no matter how I tweaked the knob, couldn't find I sound I liked enough to say 'I'll take it'.

The Cougar 50 is a fantastic amp at twice the price. Bought one on a whim about a year and a half ago for $500 (head version) and was blown away by the sounds I was getting out of it

7. cajunator

cajunator Member

I have both and use them in tandem with an a/b/y switch. It's hard to beat the distorted channel of the Bad Cat. There are so many sounds that are there especially using volume and tone controls on the guitar.

But there are songs that the DSL shines on. Great blues tone on the neck pick up w/ tone rolled off. Also, the Marshall can get real good tones at lower volumes. I only use the green channel.

If I had to choose one, it would be the Bad Cat.

8. Mole351

Mole351 Member

I will be playing at home a good bit - Bad Cat not so good at lower volumes? IMO the gain on the DSL sounds pretty terrible in the red channel - which I hardly ever use anyway (green all the way)

9. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

I've owned both the DSL made it though one gig before croaking the cougar keeps chugging along night after night.

10. Slevin

Slevin Member

Bad cat is fine at lower volumes. If you have a problem, get a decent attenuator as well. Have plenty of friends who use the thd one and not a single one of them have anything bad to say about them and with the money you'd save on the bc 50 you could snag one for 180-200 on reverb.

I play in a small two bedroom apartment in brooklyn that's on top of a wine store and have never had anyone knock on my door. you'll be fine with it

11. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Keep in mind the Cougar only has 4 tone settings on the clean channel if that bothers you. No real tone sweep knob.

12. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

Hopefully your guitar has a tone knob...... ;)

13. Mole351

Mole351 Member

just pulled the trigger on a head. excited because i've been trying to talk myself into getting a mesa 5:50 + head (instead of the combo) and this will force me to get the cab.

now just need to hock the DSL.