• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Thumb on picking hand

playthecray

Silver Supporting Member
Does anyone else have an issue with a slight wiggle of the thumb on your picking hand? It's almost like a hitch in the thumb when picking or movement that occurs. Maybe it is too much vibration from the strings, not having a loose enough wrist, and using the thumb to compensate. It is something that I have delt with for many years. I tried to experiment with different ways of actually holding the pick between my thumb and index finger. My instructor of many years doesn't seem overly concerned about anymore; however, it does at times impede my ability with fast alternate picking. I do not know of a gadget that is available for this type of thing. I wanted to try and make a small splint for my thumb to immobilize it while playing.

Austinrocks

no but I did find a way to play a harmonic anywere on the guitar using the side of my thumb and index finger, it works in certain spots like the false harmonics, been having some fun with those the last few days.

buddastrat

Do you mean moving the joint of the thumb while picking ala circle picking? or a twitch?

I want to move my thumb to shape the notes with my picking hand. I hate the sound of a locked thumb, it's a stiff sound and you get one sound and that's it.

playthecray

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, there is a slight movement in my thumb when I pick. My thumb does not stay motionless. At times it prevents me from picking fast and smooth.

Bad Back

See if this Paul Gilbert instruction helps. (Instruction begins at about the 1:10 area)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpJNUGHxC3M

Does anyone else have an issue with a slight wiggle of the thumb on your picking hand? It's almost like a hitch in the thumb when picking or movement that occurs. Maybe it is too much vibration from the strings, not having a loose enough wrist, and using the thumb to compensate. It is something that I have delt with for many years. I tried to experiment with different ways of actually holding the pick between my thumb and index finger. My instructor of many years doesn't seem overly concerned about anymore; however, it does at times impede my ability with fast alternate picking. I do not know of a gadget that is available for this type of thing. I wanted to try and make a small splint for my thumb to immobilize it while playing.

Trending Topics