Thumb picks

josh_michael

Looking for a good thumb pick. I've got a few of the Dunlop's laying around. I am a finger picker but the Dunlop's don't feel natural to me because the pick part is too long and I'm used to picking with my thumb being closer to the strings. So, it just kinda feels awkward. Does anybody know of some thumb picks where the pick of it is shorter?

Thanks guys

Josh

bgmacaw

I like the National Small for a shorter thumb pick. I also like the ProPik Small when I want a metal pick sound. I recently bought a Geipel thumb pick from Elderly and I've been enjoying it.

Here's a pic of these 3 picks next to a Dunlop Large so you can get an idea about the differences in size.

Crazyquilt

Guitar Dad
Silver Supporting Member
I think a Fred Kelly Slick pick would get you where you want to go, especially a Delrin. They are short, rounded, and the Delrin is softer than polycarb and gives a more flesh-like tone. I used them for years for exactly the reasons you describe.

lamenlovinit

Step one is to decide metal or plastic. If plastic, I haven't found a reason to spend more than the Dunlops and Nationals cost. I have tried the more expensive ones. I've tried the ones that look like regular picks attached to your thumb. The ones labeled quick, fast, speed... It just isn't worth upgrading. Of course I'm also one of the guys who can barely keep from laughing in the face of folks at jams with flatpicks that cost $35 or more. :p

Caveat #1. I do prefer white to tortoise by the way. It's a feel thing. The fingerpicks just feel smoother to me.

Caveat #2. I can use dunlops, but they are less comfortable on my thumb. It's a shape thing. I can wear nationals literally for hours. Dunlops I have to take off periodically and massage my thumb. Reshaping in hot water is not worth it while Nationals are on the market. So buy both. As not only shape differs, but pick length is different too. You will have a preference.

Caveat #3. If you frequent old dusty independent music stores, and run across some Gibsons, they are wonderful. Again, nothing to go nuts over, they are just very good in the same price range, and you will run across folks who will offer full sets of strings in trade. I have done it more than once.

If metal, you're on your own. I hate them.

tholmes

If the Dunlops are too long, just file them to the shape/length that you want and buff 'em up with some 600 grit sandpaper.

Tom

Pitar

Get used to the Dunlops or the Planet Waves (copy). You'll adapt to them soon enough and with practice develop the extra length as a flat pick. I used all the Fred Kelly Delrins and found them to be good beginner thumb picks. The Delrin wears down quickly though because it's a vinyl and not a polycarbonate. And, being the softer material, they will not develop the bass response the polycarbonate types yield. The FK Delrin has a more forgiving pinch band which will prep your thumb for polycarbonate type.

Crazyquilt

Guitar Dad
Silver Supporting Member
Get used to the Dunlops or the Planet Waves (copy). You'll adapt to them soon enough and with practice develop the extra length as a flat pick. I used all the Fred Kelly Delrins and found them to be good beginner thumb picks.
This was my trajectory as well. The Slick Pick's stubby size was a good transition from a bare thumb but it doesn't work well as a pseudo-flatpick. The other nice thing about getting used to more widely available thumbpick (which the Dunlops are) is that they're, well, more widely available in a pinch. I tended to lose my Slick Picks before I wore them down significantly, and, at the time, there was no one nearby who carried them. When I finally broke down & ordered a bag direct from Fred Kelly, there was a shipping problem, and so they were weeks late. In frustration, I just grabbed a Dunlop thumbpick and gritted through it for a bit. Since I already had used a Slick Pick, I was used to the general idea/technique of a thumbpick, I just had to adjust to the additional length. It finally clicked right around the time the FK's showed up, but I never looked back. I use Dunlops, now, sometimes with two fingerpicks, sometimes with bare fingers. It can be done!

Trending Topics