Thunderbird clips, frightning the rats :-)

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by abergdahl, May 9, 2005.

1. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

I have a small cottege in the middle of nowhere, some weekends i go thera all alone, exept for the dog and some guitars and a amp. Let me say it like this, i have NOT seen or heard any rats (ok small really cute mice) after a few hours of my guitar playing :D .
    I did two Thunderbird Clips this weekend, one is a semi-clean blues type of thing splitting the neck pickup of the Chapin Hawk inte Strat mode, amps volume is around 11 o'clock, TC, around 2 and cut around 2 o'clock as well.
    T-bird Blues

The other is Ed's Miles jam fusion backing, but my playing is more blues style ;) . Amps volume is now around 2 o'clock TC around 3 and Cut around 2 o'clock. The first few bars is neck PU strat mode, volume on guitar slightly down after a while it's bridge (Tele) pickup with full volume - one take mistakes and all.
    T-Bird fusion

Recorded with sm57, ART tube preamp and PXR4. Speaker is a pre Rola G12M-30 55hz with the 014 (bass) cone in a Marshall 1912 cab.

2. scottl

scottl Member

Blues clip: Really cool changes! Loved the clip. The tone was really warm. One of my faves from you. Your playing was foucused and solid! I think I would love a shot at this backing. Any chance of it?

Fusion clip: Wow, I like this amp. Again, great tones. Tell me more?? What is a Thunderbird? Great playing btw. THe amp makes you play better me thinks! I like this backing too! I'd love it as well.

Scott

3. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

:) It really means something when it comes from a great player like you :) . I'm not a very good fusion player, I´m basically playing some standard blues lick with some chance chromatics thrown in at random.

The amp is made by Tommy Cougar and its a 4*EL84 amp, cathode bias, with a unique 12DW7 -12AT7 pre-amp that has a tubedriven active Eq/drive stage.
    The controls are Volume, T-C (Tweak Control - the actibe Eq/drive) and cut. with the T-C you get a loose rock feeling with the knob to full left and the sound get stighter and fatter as you turn it counter clockwise. It also has a three level build in attenuator. For me it has it's backbone in some sort of Marshall/vox and the directness of a Komet 60. The treble is more refined than most amps of this type and it reminds me of Dumble style amps in that regard. It is very touch sensitive and it reacts extremly well on the volume knob, from clean to scream :D
    Basically you NEED a good el84 amp :dude
    Here's a link to my thread on the amp:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78101