Ticking noise coming from my cub iii

Slevin

Silver Supporting Member
So, I asked this in the Cub III thread, but I feel like a broader audience would help.

But there is a clicking noise that keeps going off in the amp, slow at first and then gets faster and faster the longer the amp is on. It's not either the pre amp tubes (I don't think) and happens on either the tone knob or the bass/treble side. I'm assuming it's a loose or bad power tube? Sometimes if I slap the head it'll stop altogether but obviously that doesn't really seem like a long term solution.

Any info will help!

Slevin

Silver Supporting Member
Give Bad Cat a call :dunno
I talked to John and he couldn't figure it out in the short amount of time we were on the phone together, it also stopped ticking halfway through the talk (go figure). I guess I can wait until Monday but if it's something I can stick my hand in and figure out it would be most ideal

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
The only time I ever heard clicking from an amp was when it was licking up RF from a nearby cell phone.

Roccorobb

Long shot but do you have any kind of Internet repeater in the vicinity? I have one of these power line adapters and it makes ones of my amps click at a frequency proportional to the amount of data being transmitted. If you live in an apt, someone else could have on that is dirtying your signal

Torren61

Without actually hearing the sound for myself, I diagnose it as a bad capacitor. Charging and discharging and maybe arcing across to something else. If it's still under warranty, contact the company. You COULD open up the amp and take a peek inside, obviously not touching anything that can kill you. Look at the caps for swelling or ruptures. Look for any evidence of cross arcing. Turn on the amp and turn off the lights. Look for arcing.

Slevin

Silver Supporting Member
Without actually hearing the sound for myself, I diagnose it as a bad capacitor. Charging and discharging and maybe arcing across to something else. If it's still under warranty, contact the company. You COULD open up the amp and take a peek inside, obviously not touching anything that can kill you. Look at the caps for swelling or ruptures. Look for any evidence of cross arcing. Turn on the amp and turn off the lights. Look for arcing.
This is what I'm thinking as well. It does sound like its charging/discharging. is this an easy fix? I'm not technical at all so I would have no idea how to do this

Torren61

This is what I'm thinking as well. It does sound like its charging/discharging. is this an easy fix? I'm not technical at all so I would have no idea how to do this
Possibly, but not if you don't know how to solder. For example, if you saw a component discharging across to another component, you could take a chopstick (wooden and non-conductive) to gently push them apart. If you saw an obviously swollen, cracked or bursted capacitor, you could desolder it from the circuit and solder in anew one of the same value. That's assuming you can solder (which is not hard and you can learn from YouTube in about an hour including practice).

Slevin

Silver Supporting Member
Possibly, but not if you don't know how to solder. For example, if you saw a component discharging across to another component, you could take a chopstick (wooden and non-conductive) to gently push them apart. If you saw an obviously swollen, cracked or bursted capacitor, you could desolder it from the circuit and solder in anew one of the same value. That's assuming you can solder (which is not hard and you can learn from YouTube in about an hour including practice).
Idk if this helps, but it does go away sometimes. It'll start, get faster, and then sometimes just stop and won't come back until I turn the amp off and on again. Don't know if that helps determine if it's a damaged cap or one discharging across to another

Torren61

There's no way I can help you any more from here. If you don't have a clue what you're looking at or looking for, it needs to go to a tech. Before you do that, eliminate any possible causes of interference. Keep your cell phone away from the amp. Keep your router away from the amp. That's the best I can do. :)

Slevin

Silver Supporting Member
There's no way I can help you any more from here. If you don't have a clue what you're looking at or looking for, it needs to go to a tech. Before you do that, eliminate any possible causes of interference. Keep your cell phone away from the amp. Keep your router away from the amp. That's the best I can do. :)
Cool thanks man for the help

Trending Topics