Tight fitting case OK for guitar? Also, how to get rid of funk smell?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by atomheartmother, Jun 4, 2006.

1. atomheartmother

atomheartmother Senior Member

I just got this in the mail today and have noticed that my Taylor 110 is a VERY snug fit. I honestly have to put effort into getting it to squeeze into the case. It fits, but it's very, very snug. I have two other beater dreads that fit in it with ease, but the Taylor is a tight fit. Will the case being a very tight fit cause any structural damage over time? Is there any danger in keeping this case and using it with the Taylor? I'm hoping that the padding will loosen up and form to the Taylor over time, but you never know.

Anyway, I'd really like to keep that case as it's very high quality. It is extremely sturdy and looks fantastic. The crushed green velvet has to be seen; it looks way better in person than in the pics. The latches are very smooth and the compartment is quite large. The only issues are a really funky smell (the glue, probably), a few places of padding becoming unglued (easy fix with superglue), and the Taylor not fitting perfectly.

Anyway, I am in the process of getting rid of the aformentioned funky factory glue smell. For some reason, all of the MF cases that I've bought have smelled really funky (I've owned three or four now). Generic Febreeze seemed to work OK. Now it smells like generic Febreeze and I can't decide which is worse--the Febreeze or the glue.

I wish I wouldn't have sprayed the thing with Febreeze. Now it's covered up the glue smell some and I can't tell if the glue odor is gone. Oh well. I had it sitting outside in the sun for about an hour. The case was getting really hot and the Tolex was hot to the touch. Now I have it sitting next to a window with a fan in the window blowing on it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...Case?sku=541694

2. K-man

K-man Member

I had the same issue with a case from Musician's Enemy (yeah I hate them and would never buy from them again. They screwed up every order I made.) It smelled like fermaldahide. I left it outside for an entire day and still couldn't get rid of the smell.

3. K-man

K-man Member

My Hamer Newport also had a tight fitting case, but it didn't sound as extreme as yours. It loosened up after a while and now fits perfect.

4. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

The noxious odor will go away eventually - put a couple of scented dryer sheets in the compartment until then.

5. atomheartmother

I've been told that the odor is from solvents in the glue evaporating and that I should not put the guitar in the case until the odor is gone (solvents evaporated). Any ideas?

6. atomheartmother

Also in case anyone misunderstood, I don't mean that it's hard to squeeze the lid closed. I mean that it is tight on the sides; it's a little tough to just get it INTO the case, not close it (it closes fine when the guitar is in).

7. ronin32

ronin32 Member

I'd put one of those dryer sheets in the compartment also if you dont like the Fabriz smell.

When I first got my case for my 110, it was tight but not as yours. When I added a spot for my hydrometer, since I took out a side of my compartment it loosend it up a bit. But after a few months the padding took the shape of the guitar better and now its on the loose side.

8. ClintonHammond

ClintonHammond Active Member

To clear the stink, you could also shake some carpet deoderizer (or just plain baking soda or a talcum powder that you like) into the case, close it and shake it around, and let it sit for a bit, then vaccum it out....

It might help.... I just use Febreeze in mine, but I kilda like the smell of febreeze....

Oh... ya know what else might work?!?! dump half a bag of the cedar shavings you put in hamster cages into the case.... Close it... shake it up and then let it sit overnight.... The cedar might absorb a bunch of the stink, and leave a nice, real wood smell behind

Good luck! :)

9. retro

retro Member

My Collings OM was tight and loosened up some but it's still pretty tight.

When I push the body in and I have to push it in, it pushes air out where the case gaps by the neck joint. Don't know if that's similar to your fit. But haven't had any issues because of the fit.

It's a Collings case made for the guitar.

10. bo13bo

bo13bo Member

as long as you don't have to stomp on the guitar to get it in the case it's fine. The padding will usually settle in to the guitar after you use it quite a bit.

As for the smell, good luck. That glue gets stinkier every year.

11. ronin32

ronin32 Member

After spraing mine with Fabriez, the first day I got mine, it smells like my guitar now, no glue smell what so ever.