Tight speakers for open-backed combos?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bemymonkey, Aug 21, 2008.

1. bemymonkey

bemymonkey Member

Hey guys. :)

So I've got a bit of a problem: My Laney VC-50 doesn't sound tight enough with fast palm mutes - as a matter of fact, it sounds a bit like a fuzz (like a Big Muff sorta)... and the problem seems to be the speakers.

When I run it through my Laney Pro Tube closed-back 4x12" cab, the problem is gone, and it sounds absolutely awesome (just like the VH100R I usually run through that cab) - So I guess I just need some speakers that sound nice and tight in the open-backed combo cabinet.

Any ideas? I've tried Eminence GB128 in there, but they were even less tight (no big surprise, though :D). Thinking along the lines of a Governor and a Wizard (it's a 2x12" combo). The speakers need to be good all-rounders, since I need stellar cleans as well as good crunch and high gain sounds...

If nothing helps, I guess I'll just have to cut the damned thing in half and use it as a head :)...

Thanks in advance!

2. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

First of all, welcome to TGP. Celestion classic lead 80's.

3. bemymonkey

bemymonkey Member

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

I remember Classic Lead 80s being having a very spiky, shrill upper midrange (albeit in a closed-back cab). I think I need something a bit smoother for this amp - something that sounds like a G12T75 + V30 closed-back mix would be perfect.

Or are the Classic Leads less shrill in an open-backed cab? :)

Thanks for the tip.

4. bemymonkey

bemymonkey Member

No more suggestions? :)

5. TubezAmpz

TubezAmpz Member

in a house where I can actually turn my amp up a l
    I think you just like the sound of a closed cab better. Personally I prefer open back, but I like the loose feeling and abundance of midrange.

6. bemymonkey

bemymonkey Member

Possible, but I don't think I can just nail the back of the amp shut :D... Maybe I should get a closed-back V30 2x12" and put that underneath the combo. That should help some, and maybe the blend won't sound half bad... :)

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

G12K-100's! Have them in a "ported" 2x12 cab and they sound great for lots of different stuff including heavy. Just a great all around speaker IMO. Bring on the palm mutes. Bob

8. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Cannabis rex is tight and smooth for a 50 watter, may not be the tone you want though.

9. bemymonkey

bemymonkey Member

Sounds interesting, I'll take a listen anyway :)

Cool, thanks for the tip - but isn't a ported cab basically a closed cab with bass reflex ports? The speakers sound pretty good description-wise though :)...

-edit- Another quick question: Are any of the neodym speakers decent for open-backed cabs? Because I wouldn't mind cutting down on the weight while I'm at it ;)...

10. chaz

chaz Member

EV12L. Warning, extremely heavy! Back is bitchy, fingers & ears happy. Open back combo 1x12.

11. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Well my cab isnt exactly ported hence the quotes. It was a closed back that I cut about 4 inches off the bottom. Somewhere between semi open and ported I guess! With 2 G12K100's it seems to cover a lot of sonic ground. Bob

[​IMG]

12. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Not sure if your amp has a tube rectifier but if it does a Weber copper cap rectifier will tighten things up a bit. And it's cheaper than changing speakers. Check to see if they have one to go with your amp.

Tom

13. bemymonkey

bemymonkey Member

No thanks - that thing weighs about 44kg already. With EVM12Ls it'll probably weigh like 60...

Cool, I'll check those out...

Cool. I wonder if I can find someone who'll let me borrow a pair :)

Sounds interesting, but I think the VH100R/VC50 have solid state rectifiers...

14. rastaman

rastaman Member

Every CL80 I've heard and have do not sound spiky or have a shrill upper midrange. I'm using Marshalls with them FWIW.

15. bemymonkey

bemymonkey Member

Hmmm, maybe I'm just confusing them with a different speaker. Guess I'll have to give 'em another try :)...

16. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

I recently replaced the G12H30 in my Bogner Duende combo with an Austin Speaker Works ASW KTS60 after a recommendation from Lance and the ASW crew. I auditioned a new drummer for our organ/guitar/drums trio lastr night and recorded the output. The amp sounded greta before, but lacked some of the girth I wanted. This speaker gave me everything I was looking for without compromising the clean tone. I needed to re-evalluate my EQ (particulary the preamp treble and post-preamp air controls), but after finding the right EQ for our mix, it was, in a word, STUNNING and made the amp bigger sounding...not like a 4x12, but bigger, tighter and very "musical". This speaker sounds good out of the box, is a clear upgrade for this amp, and I look forward to pounding on it for another 50 hours to see if it opens up more.

So I'd suggest that speaker.

DS

17. rastaman

rastaman Member

Marshalls and Mesas to be exact.