Tightening the trussrod worked up to a point...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Tito83, May 26, 2015.

1. Tito83

Tito83 Member

I'm working on this mexican Fender strat and the the action was crazy high. Now I'm trying to straight the neck, but there's this little bow that won't go away. I've gone more than full turn on the trussrod and it won't straight the neck further, I'm now afraid to tight even more and snap something. Any advice on how to proceed?

2. bob-i

bob-i Member

You may have reached the end of the threads. Take the nut off completely and take a look. You may need a washer or 2 under the nut.

3. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

I worked on a Mex Strat rosewood board neck for a local player recently that is the same way. I even clamped it into a back bow & tightened the rod a bunch with no change in the relief. The threads are good & it is not out of thread. It is compressing the wood in the neck but not straightening the neck. I did some research and apparently some Fender Mex Strat necks with rosewood boards had the filler strip (that goes on top of the truss rod in the slot and puts it into the necessary curve so that tightening straightens it) not installed correctly. This leaves the rod straight in the neck, so all it does is compress the wood.

I even did a heat treatment to this neck to no avail. It is non-adjustable "junk".

4. ajeffcote

ajeffcote Member

I recently had a similar neck to work on. Ended up resurfacing the fretboard to artificially remove the bow ( mine was back-bowed) and then re-fretted and it's quite playable now.